Sobering reading

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Sobering reading

Post by Weybridge »

Nothing we weren't aware of really, but for those who moan why we aren't spending money -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50674331
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Sobering reading

Post by Selsey Bill »

That makes very scary reading but, as you say, nothing we don't really already know. All the more reason we need to get Fratton Park fit for purpose, or move.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Would love to see the details for L1 and L2.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:52 pm That makes very scary reading but, as you say, nothing we don't really already know. All the more reason we need to get Fratton Park fit for purpose, or move.
I'm all for the stadium situation getting sorted. Would love to know how much benefit other clubs around our level have had from having a new stadium. Would love to see a proper cost benefits analysis done on it!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rocketman »

A sobering article for sure, and exactly why I support the strategy that the Eisner's have, ie steady sustained growth. If/when we have the basis of a team that can play in the Championship, then promotion will be fine. Actually I think the current overall squad is quite close, but absolutely definitely NOT under KJ/Gallen, who are making good players worse, not better.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Rocketman wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:31 pm A sobering article for sure, and exactly why I support the strategy that the Eisner's have, ie steady sustained growth. If/when we have the basis of a team that can play in the Championship, then promotion will be fine. Actually I think the current overall squad is quite close, but absolutely definitely NOT under KJ/Gallen, who are making good players worse, not better.
Fully agree with both parts of this.

I do worry that we will one season get promotion, and then fans will expect the owners to throw tens of millions of pounds at the team, just to stay in the Championship or contend for another promotion. Especially if we struggle or even suffer a relegation back to L1. Unfortunately, football fans (everywhere) have very short memories.

Also, agree that Jackett and Gallen need to go at the end of this season, although I don't think there is much to be gained by moving them sooner, a replacement should be sounded out as this season dies. I don't remember anyone complaining about the signings of Bolton and Downing over the summer, but now both look like poor players. Bolton played two seasons for a defensively strong Shrewsbury side that should have been promoted and Downing was a solid player for a number of L1 clubs including getting promoted at Blackburn before the Championship looked a step too far. They should be the core of a strong L1 defence (along with Burgess and Brown), but everything seems to have fallen apart.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

I totally agree with everything, PP . Although I can't reveal my source so believe me if you want but I know for a FACT! that several players don't like Jackett and would be happy to see the back of him and I imagine that goes for one or two fans as well.
Invicta Pompey
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Invicta Pompey »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am
Rocketman wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:31 pm A sobering article for sure, and exactly why I support the strategy that the Eisner's have, ie steady sustained growth. If/when we have the basis of a team that can play in the Championship, then promotion will be fine. Actually I think the current overall squad is quite close, but absolutely definitely NOT under KJ/Gallen, who are making good players worse, not better.
Fully agree with both parts of this.

I do worry that we will one season get promotion, and then fans will expect the owners to throw tens of millions of pounds at the team, just to stay in the Championship or contend for another promotion. Especially if we struggle or even suffer a relegation back to L1. Unfortunately, football fans (everywhere) have very short memories.

Also, agree that Jackett and Gallen need to go at the end of this season, although I don't think there is much to be gained by moving them sooner, a replacement should be sounded out as this season dies. I don't remember anyone complaining about the signings of Bolton and Downing over the summer, but now both look like poor players. Bolton played two seasons for a defensively strong Shrewsbury side that should have been promoted and Downing was a solid player for a number of L1 clubs including getting promoted at Blackburn before the Championship looked a step too far. They should be the core of a strong L1 defence (along with Burgess and Brown), but everything seems to have fallen apart.
I suspect the fact is that steady, sustainable growth policy is already impinging on player wages and recruitment. It may be that Jackett and co are doing a reasonable job on the budget that is available to them, Im undecided. Some of our fans seem to have taken the year on year improvements to mean that we have a final league position higher every single year when we are unlikely to achieve that imho. If you are on a limited budget changing your management team mid season doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
One of the Accrington 700.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:00 am Although I can't reveal my source so believe me if you want but I know for a FACT! that several players don't like Jackett and would be happy to see the back of him and I imagine that goes for one or two fans as well.
I also know this for a fact about an ex-Pompey player - he confidentially let it slip to me privately before he left.

PS I'd imagine KJ is not on either Pitman's or Evans's Christmas Card list, but suspect he is on Close's :wink:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

100% agree :thumb