"Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: "Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

Post by New Forester »

But the fact is, it's only the public face of a human you can judge. I suspect that there are far more people who appear pleasant in public and yet are complete bastards in private. And many apparent saints who troll the internet!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Trump doesn't believe half the stuff he spouts but he's in character.
I don't really think that a politician should be playing a character.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Why not? All politicians lie through their teeth. Playing a role is no different. Boris has playing the bumbling simpleton for over a decade but he's clearly much more intelligent and deliberate than he appears.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

phat_chris wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm Boris has playing the bumbling simpleton for over a decade but he's clearly much more intelligent and deliberate than he appears.
No, Cummings is intelligent, Johnson is a bumbling oaf.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:04 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Trump doesn't believe half the stuff he spouts but he's in character.
I don't really think that a politician should be playing a character.
They all do . Politics is just showbusiness for ugly people.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:48 pm
phat_chris wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm Boris has playing the bumbling simpleton for over a decade but he's clearly much more intelligent and deliberate than he appears.
No, Cummings is intelligent, Johnson is a bumbling oaf.

Did well to get to PM then didn’t he?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

New Forester wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:33 pm Did well to get to PM then didn’t he?
I think Cummings won him the Tory leadership vote and the election, in the same way that Cummings masterminded the Brexit Leave Vote. I think that Cummings is running things now, especially the Brexit withdrawal discussions. That's why Boris won't sack him and Cummings knows that he needn't offer to resign.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

just blue wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:13 am
New Forester wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:33 pm Did well to get to PM then didn’t he?
I think Cummings won him the Tory leadership vote and the election, in the same way that Cummings masterminded the Brexit Leave Vote. I think that Cummings is running things now, especially the Brexit withdrawal discussions. That's why Boris won't sack him and Cummings knows that he needn't offer to resign.
Yep, that's the way I see it too. Boris may well be intelligent, but he's still a buffoon imho. You could say he's not just a muppet, but also a puppet and what little of my respect he'd regained earlier in the Covid crisis he's lost tenfold since.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 am
Yep, that's the way I see it too. Boris may well be intelligent, but he's still a buffoon imho. You could say he's not just a muppet, but also a puppet and what little of my respect he'd regained earlier in the Covid crisis he's lost tenfold since.
Same here. I had some level of respect for him even if he is a self-serving egomaniac. I thought his tenure as London mayor was actually pretty decent (although there are some legitimate complaints in there too about failure to tackle homelessness). He did a bang-up job with the Olympics at the height of a global recession, banned drinking alcohol on the underground, brought in the bike rental scheme and extended the Congestion charge zones. All of which made London a better place.

But as PM he seems out of his depth, and as with the Cummings issue - totally dependent on the guy. He also looks to have aged ten years since his infection.

At PMQs last week, there was a picture going around with him wearing an earpiece. No idea if its genuine or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. EDIT - seems its not true.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

I don't think it's the same person since before his illness . I think we have a Boris body double 🤯
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:34 am I don't think it's the same person since before his illness . I think we have a Boris body double 🤯
Maybe he's hiding in here: apologies for inserting the earthy humour pic into this sensible discussion.

As a Londoner of 35 years, I vividly recall Boris' time as Mayor: especially the Boris Garden Bridge scheme that cost us a mere £45 million, the failed and totally daft attempt to build a new airport in North Kent, the Boris bendy bus that never worked.....etc.

I also recall watching Boris answer questions in the London Mayor forum from his fellow elected councillors: full of waffle, links to the Greek classics and totally devoid of detail. "He's not good on detail," so we're told.

In addition, I remember Boris being interviewed by Andrew Neil in the Conservative leadership election in 2019: completely torn to shreds. No wonder Boris refused a similar session for the 2019 General Election

It's not just the virus that has now hit the unfortunate Boris (for which he has my sympathy.) He has also been thrown by a new leader of the Labour Party who is able to challenge him more effectively - Sir Keir Starmer.

We live in interesting times.....
Attachments
thumbnail_Outdoor sex.jpg
Last edited by Milton End on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 am
Ditto
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

How did we get into discussing Boris Johnson? Being a politician once myself, I can say he has the one essential characteristic of a politician - a thick skin. And he surely needs it. As for me, I stood in a by election once. Seven candidates and I won by a landslide. Just one term was enough for me.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

phat_chris wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm Why not? All politicians lie through their teeth. Playing a role is no different. Boris has playing the bumbling simpleton for over a decade but he's clearly much more intelligent and deliberate than he appears.
You may, and indeed probably are, right, but that doesn't justify it. Maybe that's me being too idealistic, but if you don't believe passionately in what you're saying, you can't do the job properly.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
SouthernPies
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SouthernPies »

My impression of the UK political scene is that whatever happens the papers especially will have a field day beating them up...
Kind of like the way they behaved with the England manager in the late 80's and early 90's... the negativity was horrendous!