"Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: "Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

Post by GreenBlue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:52 pm Its not a simple process to get informed FACTS these days.
... and that's a fact. :D
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:39 pm Our Government will not want our economy to fail but they are correct not to lift the lock down 'IF' science suggest otherwise. The press, especially certain written rags, have been suggesting that things will ease considerably on Monday but this doesn't now look likely. By reporting such, those papers are trying to turn the population against the lock down.

News rags or Scientists? I know who I will listen to.
What about if all the shop workers and/or other essential workers decided it wasn't safe for them and locked down . I bet nobody would be calling for this lockdown in its ridiculous form to continue if they had no place to get food etc.

Many Peoples views will no doubt align closer to mine when the furlough ends and money starts to run out like mine did at the end of march when I went to zero income overnight and haven't seen a penny since .
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:20 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:39 pm Our Government will not want our economy to fail but they are correct not to lift the lock down 'IF' science suggest otherwise. The press, especially certain written rags, have been suggesting that things will ease considerably on Monday but this doesn't now look likely. By reporting such, those papers are trying to turn the population against the lock down.

What about if all the shop workers and/or other essential workers decided it wasn't safe for them and locked down . I bet nobody would be calling for this lockdown in its ridiculous form to continue if they had no place to get food etc.

Many Peoples views will no doubt align closer to mine when the furlough ends and money starts to run out like mine did at the end of march when I went to zero income overnight and haven't seen a penny since .

It’s always difficult trying to align the big picture decisions with seeing how it negatively affects individuals. I can’t imagine it’s easy for people who have been negatively affected to take the alleged positives lockdown brings to the larger population. I don’t envy anyone having to make those sorts of decisions. A true no win situation.

I agree with your point. The more people suffer the more they will want to lockdown to end for obvious self preservation reasons.

Knowing what we know though do you think there never should have been a lockdown?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

I don't understand your first point. If essential workers decided that it wasn't safe for them to work, people would be calling end the lock down?? Slightly strange logic.
Second point, furlough will run until at least the end of June, when it is anticipated most will be able to return to work, although this may drop to 60%. I am sure many already think the same as you Mr Nuts, and it must be devastating to have lost your income for 5 or 6 weeks. I guess you are self employed in which case this whole business must be even more distressing. Can you not claim any grants or benefits whilst this is going on?
Hopefully, if projections are correct and we continue to observe the social distancing, by the middle of June deaths will have fallen to single digits by the middle of June. There is an end to this dark situation, just hold tight for a few more weeks.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:00 pm

It’s always difficult trying to align the big picture decisions with seeing how it negatively affects individuals. I can’t imagine it’s easy for people who have been negatively affected to take the alleged positives lockdown brings to the larger population. I don’t envy anyone having to make those sorts of decisions. A true no win situation.

I agree with your point. The more people suffer the more they will want to lockdown to end for obvious self preservation reasons.

Knowing what we know though do you think there never should have been a lockdown?
That's a tough one. There seems to very little if any evidence that I can find at least which shows lockdowns have been much use . For a start just look at the death rates in many of the countries that have imposed shutdowns compared with countries that have used other methods or simply brought in some social distancing measures in turn not strangling the economy .

To answer your question about lockdown , my answer is no . Many businesses could have continued to run safely with social distancing measures in place .

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .

It's also worth noting that the UK,USA, Italy and Spain are among the top 10 most visited countries in the world.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:11 am

I don't understand your first point. If essential workers decided that it wasn't safe for them to work, people would be calling end the lock down?? Slightly strange logic.
Second point, furlough will run until at least the end of June, when it is anticipated most will be able to return to work, although this may drop to 60%. I am sure many already think the same as you Mr Nuts, and it must be devastating to have lost your income for 5 or 6 weeks. I guess you are self employed in which case this whole business must be even more distressing. Can you not claim any grants or benefits whilst this is going on?
Hopefully, if projections are correct and we continue to observe the social distancing, by the middle of June deaths will have fallen to single digits by the middle of June. There is an end to this dark situation, just hold tight for a few more weeks.
I guess my point was if there's was say no food or electricity etc due to lock down I doubt many people would be calling for its continuation to "help save lives" .

I've had an accountant friend kindly give their services for free. They have investigated but unfortunately I don't qualify for anything .

The government have done a fantastic job of scaring much of the population into thinking if you catch CV you will die which is nothing like the truth . Many other countries announce recovery rates aswell as the death rates at briefings etc .

Also I'm sick to death of patronising 3 word slogans .
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:09 am It's also worth noting that the UK,USA, Italy and Spain are among the top 10 most visited countries in the world.
I'm certainly not suggesting that this comment was xenophobic as what you state is a fact however some newspapers are using the virus to stir up xenophobia.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says the virus outbreak has "unleashed a tsunami of hate and xenophobia".

Without naming specific countries, Guterres called for an "all-out effort" to end this state of affairs.

The UN chief also called on the media to remove "racist, misogynist and harmful content", and on educational institutions to focus on digital literacy at a time where fake news continues to spread online.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 am I've had an accountant friend kindly give their services for free. They have investigated but unfortunately I don't qualify for anything .
Is your line of work one that will be able to start again as soon as the lock down is lifted? Hopefully, by June the worst of this will be behind us.

Hope you are able to manage until then Mr Nuts.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GB, Ha ha . No of course not . Just that higher numbers of people in and out of the country could've increased transmission rates .
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:24 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 am I've had an accountant friend kindly give their services for free. They have investigated but unfortunately I don't qualify for anything .
Is your line of work one that will be able to start again as soon as the lock down is lifted? Hopefully, by June the worst of this will be behind us.

Yes . That's the one saving grace. We do sports injury rehab aswell as general fitness instruction and training . I own all the equipment outright so can start up again quickly although I've unfortunately had to tell the two freelance therapists that I'm going to have to be a one man band for a while once we start again .

I think I felt worse about telling them that than anything else.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:32 am
GreenBlue wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:24 am

Yes . That's the one saving grace. We do sports injury rehab aswell as general fitness instruction and training . I own all the equipment outright so can start up again quickly although I've unfortunately had to tell the two freelance therapists that I'm going to have to be a one man band for a while once we start again .

I think I felt worse about telling them that than anything else.
Good luck with getting back up to full speed as quickly as possible once this nightmare is behind us. :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Cheers
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:09 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:00 pm

That's a tough one. There seems to very little if any evidence that I can find at least which shows lockdowns have been much use . For a start just look at the death rates in many of the countries that have imposed shutdowns compared with countries that have used other methods or simply brought in some social distancing measures in turn not strangling the economy .

To answer your question about lockdown , my answer is no . Many businesses could have continued to run safely with social distancing measures in place .

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .

It's also worth noting that the UK,USA, Italy and Spain are among the top 10 most visited countries in the world.

I appreciate correlation does not necessarily imply causation but if you look on the data in terms of deaths that occurred on on a particular day as opposed to deaths that were confirmed on a particular day it does suggest a downward trend since the lockdown was introduced.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting the lockdown is some great panacea. It’s just one of many tools in the locker we can use and unfortunately while I personally feel the data does support it is having some affect research from other countries suggest testing and contact tracing to be just as, if not more, important and we are massively behind a lot of other countries on that side.

I do appreciate your comments on travel into the UK. The fact we still have people and planes coming into the UK without people being tested is criminal. We apparently have tens of thousands of test capacity going unused well let’s put that to good use!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Another question to those who feel the lockdown was an overreaction and not worth it... why do you feel the government pushed ahead with the lockdown if you feel the evidence suggests it having no to minimal impact? Incompetence?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:05 pm Another question to those who feel the lockdown was an overreaction and not worth it... why do you feel the government pushed ahead with the lockdown if you feel the evidence suggests it having no to minimal impact? Incompetence?
Because Neil Ferguson told them to.