"Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: "Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

Post by Sam_Brown »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:54 pm Don't forget, I'm just here to make the board more interesting!

I just got my Trump money btw. $2400 for Mrs Kid and myself. Kind of daft really as I cant say I need it as I'm fortunate enough to not have lost income. Plus just about all our population on fixed incomes, pensions, disability, social security etc, who's incomes haven't changed, all got it too.
On top of that bit of govt genius I got 2 peeps on unemployment that wouldn't come back to work if the business needed them because they are making more on unemployment than they were when working. (currently 65% of payroll plus $600 a week the Feds kicked in). That's good through July.

I'm not sure ANY govt has asked those doing ok to kick in some more have they? I'd be OK with a temporary 5% increase in income tax or a gallon surcharge on fuel (which is currently under $1.40 per US gallon, really cheap even for here) or anything else really.
Good shout on the petrol. I made a post (might have been another site) that I thought the low fuel costs might be a bonus because they could easily stick a temporary tax on the help pay. Only problem is it’s the petrol stations making the money off the low oil price. Not the government. I’d be more than happy to see that readdressed.

As for the money I guess it’s easier to just give everyone it than means test as a) that would take more time b) cost more money and c) May leave genuine people who need it missed out by accident.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

So next Sunday we get the open up plan .
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:18 pm So next Sunday we get the open up plan .

What’s that?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:37 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:18 pm So next Sunday we get the open up plan .

What’s that?
It will be announced next Sunday by Boris how the country will be opened back up
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Ah ok I missed the briefing today. Cheers.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

New Forester wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:48 pm I take your point.I really think it's great that we can have a sensible discussion about highly sensitive issues here. OK, it's a football forum but as a social media site it's a pleasant refuge from most of the rest. Facebook has some benefits.But I have limited friends to close family only. And most of them write such stuff that I have unfollowed them all so only take a look at their timelines when I'm in the mood. As for Twitter. It sometimes makes me think I am a misanthrope.
I agree man. I’m not sure you’d get many places this topic wouldn’t exist without it turning into an absolute train wreck.Hard not to be misanthropic sometimes though. Social Media is a definite double edged sword. I’ve tried to do away with social media and the news recently as they really aren’t conducive to a good meant health.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 pm
New Forester wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:48 pm I take your point.I really think it's great that we can have a sensible discussion about highly sensitive issues here. OK, it's a football forum but as a social media site it's a pleasant refuge from most of the rest. Facebook has some benefits.But I have limited friends to close family only. And most of them write such stuff that I have unfollowed them all so only take a look at their timelines when I'm in the mood. As for Twitter. It sometimes makes me think I am a misanthrope.
I agree man. I’m not sure you’d get many places this topic wouldn’t exist without it turning into an absolute train wreck.Hard not to be misanthropic sometimes though. Social Media is a definite double edged sword. I’ve tried to do away with social media and the news recently as they really aren’t conducive to a good meant health.
Good points. Never ever done social media myself, present company exception, but that's it. Sometimes I think I'm the only one.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:16 pm
Good points. Never ever done social media myself, present company exception, but that's it. Sometimes I think I'm the only one.
You are not the only one. This board is the only social media I do.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:56 am
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:16 pm
You are not the only one. This board is the only social media I do.
You aren't missing much.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
SouthernPies
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SouthernPies »

Also the differences between NZ and Sweden. I'd say both countries are relatively similar in size, population, # of cities and relative isolation from other countries. As mentioned, Sweden has educated the public but more or less carried on as normal where as NZ has possibly the tightest lockdown around and has really minimized cases more than any other. So, when this all comes around again, NZ will have to shut up shop again and Sweden will carry on as normal again. I'd rather live in Sweden. If y'all would rather live in NZ that's fine! Sweden for me though.
[/quote]

"Kiaora CK" it doesn't really matter whether you think Sweden or the NZ approach is better. You can only deal with what is around you. Whether our Government is right or wrong, we as a country have been supportive of the decision making and leadership. The approach is clearly communicated, concise, truthful and decisions are timely and decisive. Our Leadership is here for all Kiwis, might not get it right all of the time but they are getting it right the majority of times. We know the damage that the lockdown/virus is doing to our people and we are dealing with it. Tourism makes up 6% of GDP and employs 8% of our workforce. As we say "Sweet As", and for you "Kia Kaha".
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

It is also a bit of a myth that Sweden carried on absolutely as normal. They have pretty much "encouraged" their population to do much of what we are being told to do, social distancing, working from home (where possible) avoiding gatherings over 50 people etc..

Sweden is one of the best educated countries in the world and probably (this is my assumption) has a smaller percentage of flat-earthers and the like and also fewer self-entitled. Therefore they have trusted their population to be wise. Unfortunately, in some countries, much of the population needs to be told rather than asked.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

GreenBlue wrote:It is also a bit of a myth that Sweden carried on absolutely as normal. They have pretty much "encouraged" their population to do much of what we are being told to do, social distancing, working from home (where possible) avoiding gatherings over 50 people etc..

Sweden is one of the best educated countries in the world and probably (this is my assumption) has a smaller percentage of flat-earthers and the like and also fewer self-entitled. Therefore they have trusted their population to be wise. Unfortunately, in some countries, much of the population needs to be told rather than asked.
Also I think Sweden's population is the size of London or thereabouts. In a country that is @ least twice perhaps three times the size of UK that means social distancing apart from areas like Stockholm is a way of life. Our population density is hampering our efforts somewhat.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

US Government predicts death rate to double by June as US cases near 70,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... update-us/

I appreciate the death rate has previously been discussed but feel the key point to take away is how the rate of death seems to be increasing not decreasing.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Here's the interesting dilemma for everyone.
Lets assume this is the "new normal" say for the next couple of years at least until a reliable vaccine is found.
Lets also assume the death rate is 0.2% or 2 in 1000 which I appreciate could be incorrect as we don't know. That's based on the shedloads of people that had it with no symptoms and were never tested, and the 2 smallish sampling experiments of random people in LA County. But for the sake of this post....0.2%

1: At what point would you start to go back out / back to work / back to living normally and accept that risk?

Me: Today but with sensible precautions that might tighten or slacken as data changes

2: Would you go to Fratton Park?

Hmmmm….probably not

3: Would you take the vaccine if one were available tomorrow?

Not for a year or 2 until I see it proven effective with acceptable normal vaccine type risks that would have to be much lower than the risk of not getting a vaccine

4: Would you fly?

Probably but I'd look at drivable vacations first

5: Would you put an app on yer smartphone that allows govt. to tell you to quarantine if you've come in contact with an infected person?

Not a chance

Couple of brief mentions. Mrs Kid got tested last week due to having some symptoms, easy to find and get a test, results in 48 hrs (negative)

And welcome to the board NZ poster
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:27 pm 5: Would you put an app on yer smartphone that allows govt. to tell you to quarantine if you've come in contact with an infected person?

Not a chance

Glad you got a negative test :thumb .

As for the app no chance. Not after what happened with Cambridge Analytica. The government are already lying about the scope of the app and data being collected and it's not even out yet! It already looks to me that it would be possible for personal information to be deduced given that you have to register your phone, provide the first part of your postcode and also your phone make and model. Also wide open for trolling. What's to stop me going back to work then falsely claiming I've had symptoms causing everyone to have to self isolate? I imagine some kids would be smart enough to do this and try and get a few extra weeks off school.

The claim:
Any information you submit is deleted once it is no longer needed to help manage the spread of coronavirus.
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/nhs ... -explainer

The truth:
Britons will not be able to ask NHS admins to delete their COVID-19 contact-tracking data from government servers, digital arm NHSX's chief exec Matthew Gould admitted to MPs this afternoon.

Gould also told Parliament's Human Rights Committee that data harvested from Britons through NHSX's COVID-19 contact tracing app would be "pseudonymised" - and appeared to leave the door open for that data to be sold on for "research".
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/0 ... arliament/
Coeli lux nostra ductrix