"Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: "Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

Post by GreenBlue »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 pm I know that people are hurting, but the repercussions will be even more catastrophic if restrictions are lifted to early.
Agreed totally.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

I think once the furlough scheme comes to an end , millions are made redundant and are struggling to feed themselves public opinion will change .
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:45 pm I think once the furlough scheme comes to an end , millions are made redundant and are struggling to feed themselves public opinion will change .
We live in the World's 5th largest economy. Yes, that will have taken one hell of a knock but there is no way that we will let people starve and everyone will have a means to look after themselves and their families. We will still have one of the best welfare systems in the world where those with nothing or very little will be supported. Many will not be able to live the life they did prior to this thing but that is the price that will have to be paid. Following the war, the poorer end of the population were well supported and it was the rich who were hit hardest. That is highly likely to be the same following this virus and some may argue that that is a reasonable approach.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Its all very well taking these precautions this time around. But would you do it again if there's a resurgence as we all get back out there...... and would you do it again again if it comes back around at the end of the year or maybe even never goes away like seasonal flu. At some point you gotta stop running.
Div III. Call it what it is.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Its all very well taking these precautions this time around. But would you do it again if there's a resurgence as we all get back out there...... and would you do it again again if it comes back around at the end of the year or maybe even never goes away like seasonal flu. At some point you gotta stop running.
Personally I would do it again & again. Its nothing about stop running, ffs take the macho bit out of it. It wont go away like flu-but we have a vaccine for that(been pointed out to you more than once). You keep on about flu-its a poor comparison. (again as has been pointed out to you before). Let the scientists do their thing & we can all breathe a sigh or relief, especially those in the vulnerable group.
Your idea does seem in league with Trump-well lets see how it pans out. Personally I think the death toll will soar over there, I hope not but its foolhardy in the extreme to think everything will be fine with this virus by attempting to go back to normal before you're well over the peak.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:45 pm I think once the furlough scheme comes to an end , millions are made redundant and are struggling to feed themselves public opinion will change .

Isn’t that one of the benefits to the furlough scheme though? I’m hoping they keep the furlough scheme as long as we are in lockdown. Ideally another month on top as well I’d say to allow companies to get back on their feet and allow time for money to start flowing again. Those 30 day terms can be a pain.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Isn’t that one of the benefits to the furlough scheme though? I’m hoping they keep the furlough scheme as long as we are in lockdown. Ideally another month on top as well I’d say to allow companies to get back on their feet and allow time for money to start flowing again. Those 30 day terms can be a pain.
Hopefully we are getting to the end. I see the WHO website is now recommending 1 metre or 3feet social distancing .
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:10 pm 65,000 deaths in the US now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52512663
UK. 63 million. USA 309 million.
UK 28,000 deaths. USA 137,000 at UK rate.

Or is my maths wrong?

Bit worrying. For whom?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

New Forester wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:47 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:10 pm 65,000 deaths in the US now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52512663
UK. 63 million. USA 309 million.
UK 28,000 deaths. USA 137,000 at UK rate.

Or is my maths wrong?

Bit worrying. For whom?

Probably both of us? Going to be really interesting unraveling everything when this is all done and dusted.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

us pop is 330,000,000 so with 65k deaths that's 0.02% of the populace or 2 deaths per 10,000.

Auto wrecks around 39,000
Flu 34,000
cancer 141,000
smoking related 480,000
suicide 47,000
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

pompeygunner wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:49 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Its all very well taking these precautions this time around. But would you do it again if there's a resurgence as we all get back out there...... and would you do it again again if it comes back around at the end of the year or maybe even never goes away like seasonal flu. At some point you gotta stop running.
Personally I would do it again & again. Its nothing about stop running, ffs take the macho bit out of it. It wont go away like flu-but we have a vaccine for that(been pointed out to you more than once). You keep on about flu-its a poor comparison. (again as has been pointed out to you before). Let the scientists do their thing & we can all breathe a sigh or relief, especially those in the vulnerable group.
Your idea does seem in league with Trump-well lets see how it pans out. Personally I think the death toll will soar over there, I hope not but its foolhardy in the extreme to think everything will be fine with this virus by attempting to go back to normal before you're well over the peak.
gaaaaa….don't put me in the same basket as President Dufus please. I'll take any other insults like a man.
btw, flu vaccine is less than 50% effective depending on the year.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:16 pm us pop is 330,000,000 so with 65k deaths that's 0.02% of the populace or 2 deaths per 10,000.

Auto wrecks around 39,000
Flu 34,000
cancer 141,000
smoking related 480,000
suicide 47,000
But you're comparing deaths that have happened in 2 months (50k in the last 4 weeks) with annual figures. What if the Covid deaths keep coming and the 65k becomes 250k in a year. What if it's a million? 2 million? 5 million?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:31 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:49 pm
gaaaaa….don't put me in the same basket as President Dufus please. I'll take any other insults like a man.
btw, flu vaccine is less than 50% effective depending on the year.
Really! Last winter iirc Flu killed 2k in UK. So far Covid 19 has killed 27k in little over 3mths. Stop talking about Flu, Covid is far more infectious & deadly. Its you that keeps talking about "stopping running" etc. Sadly your President seems hell bent on lifting restrictions whilst hiding behind state governors to do the dirty work. It wont end well, don't fall for it.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

When did 'flatten the curve' turn into 'hide until it's gone' ?