EFL Trophy Final. Enough is Enough?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Re: EFL Trophy Final. Enough is Enough?

Post by Ghengis Jones »

I can understand the reasons for this from the organisers point of view, almost all of which are financial but I too have pretty much lost interest now. I love going to live music events and have seen a good few that I had tickets for over the spring and summer rescheduled for autumn and winter dates and subsequently cancelled altogether. If any are subsequently reinstated I will still want to go. Live gigs are a single one-off event whereas football matches are not. They all exist within the framework of the competition they belong to. This cup final belonged to last season and as such, should now be over. The idea that this season's final may take place before that seems ludicrous to me , so unless they have a definite date that precedes the current one, I shall probably bow out (all depending on covid conditions anyway).
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Mickemo »

I watched a recent interview with MC and he has said its now being reviewed with the other stakeholders (EFL, Sponsor, Salford)

He did say during the interview that if the agreement to play in an empty stadium was reached with all stakeholders, that supporters will get refunds (or words to that effect).

For the reasons stated more eloquently than myself by Ghengis Jones & GreenBlue I am firmly in the "Id like a refund please" camp.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Mickemo wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 pm I watched a recent interview with MC and he has said its now being reviewed with the other stakeholders (EFL, Sponsor, Salford)

He did say during the interview that if the agreement to play in an empty stadium was reached with all stakeholders, that supporters will get refunds (or words to that effect).

For the reasons stated more eloquently than myself by Ghengis Jones & GreenBlue I am firmly in the "Id like a refund please" camp.
In addition to refunds, I think that people who bought tickets should be able to watch the game live for free whatever their platform of choice.
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rocketman »

Why? If we get full refunds its perfectly reasonable to expect to pay to watch via TV/ computer.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Rocketman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:31 pm Why? If we get full refunds its perfectly reasonable to expect to pay to watch via TV/ computer.
Because so much is about gestures and perception. The fans have been let down, for once not the fault of the authorities, but it would be good to show some sympathy.

For that gesture, the cost would be minimal. How many tickets had been sold? 60k? Lots of those people would have a Sky subscription anyway and would be able to watch the game. Others would be in family groups, so would only need one free pass for a number of people. Make your own estimate, but I suggest that the number of free passes required would be small, and at £10 each the cost to the EFL would be affordable.

In refturn the EFL get more good publicity than that would cost.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sorry to drag this one up again but weren't we going to be given a definite answer by the EFL by the end of this year?

There is no way we are al going to be vaccinated against this dreadful virus by the end of the 20/21 season so the earliest they are likely to be able to play it in front of a full crowd is some time in the 2021/22 season.

Time for the EFL to admit they are flogging a dead donkey and either play it behind closed doors or cancel the 19/20 final.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:56 pm Sorry to drag this one up again but weren't we going to be given a definite answer by the EFL by the end of this year?

There is no way we are al going to be vaccinated against this dreadful virus by the end of the 20/21 season so the earliest they are likely to be able to play it in front of a full crowd is some time in the 2021/22 season.

Time for the EFL to admit they are flogging a dead donkey and either play it behind closed doors or cancel the 19/20 final.
I should imagine Leasing are the ones holding the cards and will sue the EFL the moment the final is cancelled. They don't care about the earlier rounds - for them, its all about the Final and national media coverage with tens of thousands of cheering fans aligned with their brand. I doubt a closed-doors final would be acceptable to them, whether at Wembley or elsewhere.

Yes, Covid probably counts as Force Majeure but I bet it'll still take legal action to decide, and when that doesn't work - a civil case. Something the EFL don't want or need when they're already haemorrhaging cash.

There's no way out really. Cancelling the final and sharing the spoils does nothing for anyone, all they can do is string it out as far as they can and hope for a miracle (something increasingly unlikely now, at least for the next few months).
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

A minor point in the grand scheme, but if the final is played this year, under whatever circumstances, I would like to see Pompey commit to only using players who were on the books at the point we qualified. It would at least give it some relevance to the 2019-20 competition.

Shouldn't be too difficult as only Nicolaison, Jacobs, Hiwula, Pring and Johnson wouldn't be playable (I think).

I realise that Salford wouldn't be able to do the same as they changed most of their team over the summer. but would be a unilateral action from Pompey.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

IMHO they should just schedule the game for March or April at Wembley. Declare the game will be played behind closed doors (who wants to see Wembley with two or four thousand fans in it anyway! it would look like a goldfish in the ocean!!) and give the fans their money back.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:56 am IMHO they should just schedule the game for March or April at Wembley. Declare the game will be played behind closed doors (who wants to see Wembley with two or four thousand fans in it anyway! it would look like a goldfish in the ocean!!) and give the fans their money back.
I think Weybridge has come up with the most likely explanation as to why it's been done like this.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I want us to get to the final again.

Holders. Finalists and Finalists all at same time.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Hate to resurrect this but surely they have to bin it now, or bin this years competition and just get the final played from last year?
Living in exile thinking Blue
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I think they will continue to hold out as long as they can without having to pay back the millions they are currently holding.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:14 pm I think they will continue to hold out as long as they can without having to pay back the millions they are currently holding.
Agreed.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour