Taking the knee.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: Taking the knee.

Post by uspompeyfan »

GreenBlue wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 pm Sorry US, you are blinkered by your blind devotion to the Republican party and to the right-wing press.
So, by your thinking, if all left wing media says one thing, and Fox News (as the only Right sided media) says another...... then the left wing media must be correct.

Do you not even contemplate that keeping a single storyline across all media could also be propaganda? I would give you the 3 year Russian conspiracy hoax.

All news channels claimed Trump to be guilty
All news channels claimed the (fake) dossier to be real and verified
No news channel apologized for their incorrect reporting when it was de-bunked and no reporter has been held accountable for their lack of following up on a storyline, except that of what their bosses said.......

Now the truth is slowly unravelling and the news media is going very quiet on the whole thing.....except one channel.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

GreenBlue wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 pm

In Europe, the gesture of taking the knee and the adoption of the term Black Lives matter is far removed from the political face in the US.
Then don't use BLM logo, don't use the clenched fist (Black Power / Black Panther party from the 60s and onwards).

If they are doing this without any connection to the US events (which even the commentators said was the reason for the knee when first done) then this is a very poor PR exercise as it will be seen as such by an American audience (back up by the commentators explanation as mentioned). I don't think the key sporting bodies all got the same wrong message by accident.
GreenBlue wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 pm It is a genuine stance against inequality and a movement in support of attempting to eradicate racism.
The various sports (maybe not F1, I have no idea) have generally had a long-running mantra against racism. For example, didn't football have a 'stamp out racism' since the 80s? Where did that go all of a sudden, its what most people grew up with.

I am all for people standing against racism, but, don't thrust political agendas down people's throats such as BLM.

By the way, why would everyone just care about Black Lives Matter.....what is wrong with "All Lives Matter"?
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Stamp Out Racism was rejected years ago for being toothless and ineffectual by the very people it was designed to help. It was demonstrably a slogan and nothing more.

It was replaced by KickItOut in the 90s, who record incidents of racial abuse and discrimination from grassroots football right through to the professional game. And since just under half the racist abuse is still from the Under-18 game and prevalent on social media, the education clearly isn't getting through.

All Lives do matter - but from the evidence shown above, some lives are just valued a lot less than others.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:26 pm Stamp Out Racism was rejected years ago for being toothless and ineffectual by the very people it was designed to help. It was demonstrably a slogan and nothing more.

It was replaced by KickItOut in the 90s, who record incidents of racial abuse and discrimination from grassroots football right through to the professional game. And since just under half the racist abuse is still from the Under-18 game and prevalent on social media, the education clearly isn't getting through.

All Lives do matter - but from the evidence shown above, some lives are just valued a lot less than others.
Appreciate the update Weybridge. My main point was to build on what has occurred...you don't just stop something on a dime, you take the positives that did work and realize what and why other areas went wrong. Kick it Out would still be more 'real' to footballers with a renewed effort, rather than Black Lives Matter.

Who is more affected by racism in the U18 population (genuine query)? If I recall, it used to be more the Muslim / brown (Olive) skin color more than the Black athlete back in the early 90s. I realize that 70s and 80s was predominantly the Black populace in the Professional game (Viv Anderson, John and Justin Fashanu were the early beacons for anti-racism IIRC)
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:49 pm
Weybridge wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:26 pm Stamp Out Racism was rejected years ago for being toothless and ineffectual by the very people it was designed to help. It was demonstrably a slogan and nothing more.

Appreciate the update Weybridge. My main point was to build on what has occurred...you don't just stop something on a dime, you take the positives that did work and realize what and why other areas went wrong. Kick it Out would still be more 'real' to footballers with a renewed effort, rather than Black Lives Matter.

Who is more affected by racism in the U18 population (genuine query)? If I recall, it used to be more the Muslim / brown (Olive) skin color more than the Black athlete back in the early 90s. I realize that 70s and 80s was predominantly the Black populace in the Professional game (Viv Anderson, John and Justin Fashanu were the early beacons for anti-racism IIRC)

In the UK we do appear to have a bigger issue with Islamophobia, but the fact there is targeting at all is shameful. Particularly since Indian partition and the Windrush immigrants, we have 3rd and soon to be 4th generation black and Asian families here in the UK.

As for the black populace in the game, remember Justin Fashanu killed himself over abuse (false allegations in his case), Viv Anderson recently claimed nothing has changed in terms of race in 20 years, and Sol Campbell - while his rants are often misguided, isn't wrong about the dearth of black managers.

Some on here know I'm a bit of a cricket nut. I've probably played close to 1000 matches in my life, umpired a few hundred too. Mostly around Surrey, Middlesex, West London, ie. a disproportionate non-white population and the team line-ups are usually a fair racial representation, Indian, Pakistani, Caribbean, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, plus the usual visiting Aussies and Saffers. Yet I've never seen a single racially motivated incident on the cricket field, whether its been alongside teens or senior-citizens. Sledging, yes. Fist-fights, yes. Nothing ever racially motivated. It proves it can be done. A lack of prejudice is not just expected, its demanded. Is it because of 42 Laws set down by some old, white guys in North London? No, its just common decency, and the game is better for it.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:35 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:33 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:22 am And I take it you missed hundreds of BLM dressed as a militia marching round Brixton shouting abuse at police and bystanders this weekend ?
As always at these sorts of protests you're going to end up with some less saveloy people turning up with the intention of just causing trouble.
And these people just show up? Or are they organized by ANIFA? There are reports of people getting paid a daily rate to infiltrate peaceful protests with the aim to create violence.
Yes that's one example of what I'm talking about. It happens on both sides.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:38 pm
uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:49 pm

In the UK we do appear to have a bigger issue with Islamophobia, but the fact there is targeting at all is shameful. Particularly since Indian partition and the Windrush immigrants, we have 3rd and soon to be 4th generation black and Asian families here in the UK.

As for the black populace in the game, remember Justin Fashanu killed himself over abuse (false allegations in his case), Viv Anderson recently claimed nothing has changed in terms of race in 20 years, and Sol Campbell - while his rants are often misguided, isn't wrong about the dearth of black managers.

Some on here know I'm a bit of a cricket nut. I've probably played close to 1000 matches in my life, umpired a few hundred too. Mostly around Surrey, Middlesex, West London, ie. a disproportionate non-white population and the team line-ups are usually a fair racial representation, Indian, Pakistani, Caribbean, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, plus the usual visiting Aussies and Saffers. Yet I've never seen a single racially motivated incident on the cricket field, whether its been alongside teens or senior-citizens. Sledging, yes. Fist-fights, yes. Nothing ever racially motivated. It proves it can be done. A lack of prejudice is not just expected, its demanded. Is it because of 42 Laws set down by some old, white guys in North London? No, its just common decency, and the game is better for it.
Fantastic post Weybridge - 100% agree :thumb
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:27 am Should've never started .
why??
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:44 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 pm Sorry US, you are blinkered by your blind devotion to the Republican party and to the right-wing press.
So, by your thinking, if all left wing media says one thing, and Fox News (as the only Right sided media) says another...... then the left wing media must be correct.

Do you not even contemplate that keeping a single storyline across all media could also be propaganda? I would give you the 3 year Russian conspiracy hoax.

No news channel apologized for their incorrect reporting when it was de-bunked and no reporter has been held accountable for their lack of following up on a storyline, except that of what their bosses said.......

Now the truth is slowly unravelling and the news media is going very quiet on the whole thing.....except one channel.
Are you seriously suggesting that all media, except Fox, is left-wing? :lol: That is very much taking the stance of "I'm not wrong, everyone else is." USPF, I know you are smarter than that and surely that was either a mis-type of a wind up. Either way, it made me chuckle.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:29 pm
uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Are you seriously suggesting that all media, except Fox, is left-wing? :lol: That is very much taking the stance of "I'm not wrong, everyone else is." USPF, I know you are smarter than that and surely that was either a mis-type of a wind up. Either way, it made me chuckle.
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that exact post or very similar on places like 4chan recently so I don’t think can came up with it himself and just copied it from somewhere else.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:55 pm
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that exact post or very similar on places like 4chan recently so I don’t think can came up with it himself and just copied it from somewhere else.
I thought it was a Trump tweet.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:55 pm
I thought it was a Trump tweet.
:rofl

I'd love Rubi to check the logs for the IP Addresses of all these new accounts that have popped up over the last few months as I'm starting to spot a pattern with their posting and I'm not convinced it's not someone on the wind up creating a load of fake ones. Probably the only thing me and US Pompey Fan have in common is we both love a good conspiracy theory :lol:
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:31 pm Probably the only thing me and US Pompey Fan have in common is we both love a good conspiracy theory :lol:
Surely one other thing in common too? PUP!
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

In fairness having spent 10 years in the US, alot of the media is very left wing .
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

portchesterblue wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:27 am Should've never started .
why??
Because it's an incredibly sinister movement who actually only cares about black lives if they've been wronged by a white person.
I dont think they've murdered any of their own since the movement began in this country yet but they've killed several if their own in the riots in America in recent years.