Pompey vs Sutton Utd

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Pompey vs Sutton Utd

Post by Mickemo »

Interested to see what peoples thoughts are on the side for tomorrow night, do you think Danny Cowley will put out a strong(ish) team and look to make progress again in the competition or treat as a friendly ?

I'll prob go as the crowd will be much lower and im hoping its the former.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Pompey vs Sutton Utd

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I think that he will go for the latter. There are players, who will be needed at some point in the season, who are short of playing time. Especially important for the goalkeeper (obviously Bass has to play anyway as Bazunu away) and defenders where we are only an injury or sending off from seeing Downing or Ogilvie playing at short notice and they need to be ready to go. Not so important for the attacking players, as it is easier to work in 20-30 minutes of L1 game time for them.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

another case of Pompey taking a good striker and making him worse
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:26 pm another case of Pompey taking a good striker and making him worse
Did you post that on the correct thread? :lol:
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:41 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:26 pm another case of Pompey taking a good striker and making him worse
Did you post that on the correct thread? :lol:
Yep, that was supposed to be answering the post on the one cap quiz lol about nugent
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

hope we don't get into a slugging match with them...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58871329
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

Cut and Paste from another forum....... We haven't put three passes together. Absolutely dire, only Raggett doing anything. Jacobs very mediocre, Hackett absolute carp, can't win a tackle to save his life. Hirst done nothing. Ahadme, where is the player from pre-season? He's slow and falls over a lot! Need a kick up the arris at half time.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

One thing about these Pizza matches..it gives us a view of fringe players and what they can do.

Well, on tonight's showing up to HT not one of them has a chance of getting into the the main team!!

Downing has gone off injured and wouldn't be surprised if that is the last we see of him
Mnoga is running around not knowing what he's supposed to be doing
Thompson...same as Mnoga
Jacobs..need to get rid asap, totally inept, can't see anything good about him
Hackett, Hirst and Ahadme...in fairness they have not had any service and had to go searching for the ball but nothing from any of them

Where this 'fast flowing, attacking football' is...anybody's guess, but not in this game.

Two poor teams playing poor football. 8)
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

Harrison off injured after just a few mins. Down to 10 men as we've used our 3 subs
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

We are now 0-2 and for the first time ever I have stopped watching what I can only say is probably the worst game I have ever viewed on television.

The Cowley's really do need to up their game!! 8)
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

So that's us pretty much out of the Papa John's Trophy (possibly not a bad thing) but now with Downing and Harrison added to the injury list and none of the fringe players particularly enhancing their claims to a first team place. As nights go I'd say that one falls into the category of "Had better" .
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

I don't think the Cowley's are as amazing as we all thought. We seem to be served up poor tactics and players who look devoid of ideas.

Some of the football is as bad, if not worse than Jackett ball.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

Cowley talks about football in strange language, designed to demonstrate that he's a lot more astute than the average fan. A bit like Alex Scott. But the performances don't reflect any evidence of football from a higher plane. It's beginning to look a lot like BS.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

This was a dire match to watch on every count, lack of cohesion, misplaced passes, poor ball control, no space, no shape to the team, No goal mouth action. it was so boring with no attempts at goal until out of the blue Sutton twice got shots on goal from close in and it was all over.
To exemplify the nature of the game Harrison came on as a sub and within minutes had put in a bad tackle and injured himself such that he had to go off and be substituted. Presumably he will be back on the injured list for a while again. It just about summed up the whole wretched evening. Downing too had earlier gone off injured so he lost his chance to impress, although in fairness it was not self inflicted.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompeymack wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:46 pm I don't think the Cowley's are as amazing as we all thought. We seem to be served up poor tactics and players who look devoid of ideas.

Some of the football is as bad, if not worse than Jackett ball.
After KJ had gone, and we hit an all too brief revival in the Cowley's first few games, it was clear that without new blood, we would retreat back into what KJ had ruined. With excuses abounding about the lack of new recruits (yes, lack of financial clout was legit), the Cowleys could have tempered the expectation of the fans, but they didn't.

We are a mid-table at best club based on our squad, so we shouldn't expect the World. After a glimpse of a return to the Championship these past couple of years, let us be realistic...... we won't get there for several years to come at best.

Owners won't spend, Cowleys won't force the issue and we have a fan base wary of spending as we know where it got us before.

Sutton saw the end of KJ......tonight was way worse than that Cup Final. Enough said.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.