This board.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

This board.

Post by Betelgeuse »

Just so I'm clear as I'm a relative newebee on here...the narrative is that the owners and management team are wonderful, you can't go against the narrative, can't criticise or have your own opinion. If you do you run the risk of being cancelled, told to support another team, called a wum etc.

Sorry hadn't read the rules properly...will do better in future :D
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Re: This board.

Post by Milton End »

Keep calm and keep posting: we all love someone to make us think! :)
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:38 am Just so I'm clear as I'm a relative newebee on here...the narrative is that the owners and management team are wonderful, you can't go against the narrative, can't criticise or have your own opinion. If you do you run the risk of being cancelled, told to support another team, called a wum etc.

I and I am sure other posters like to see a variety of views posted, but if you will forgive me, I think at least part of the problem is that you tend to be pretty aggressive and negative about things, especially with people who have the temerity to disagree with you. :D
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

The clique reveals itself over time, B.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:38 am Just so I'm clear as I'm a relative newebee on here...the narrative is that the owners and management team are wonderful, you can't go against the narrative, can't criticise or have your own opinion. If you do you run the risk of being cancelled, told to support another team, called a wum etc.

I and I am sure other posters like to see a variety of views posted, but if you will forgive me, I think at least part of the problem is that you tend to be pretty aggressive and negative about things, especially with people who have the temerity to disagree with you. :D
Sorry if I come over as aggressive, not my intention but take your point. Not a lot to be positive about atm.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Dinksy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:32 pm The clique reveals itself over time, B.
Thank you for your post, which if I may be so bold, as another poster may have put it, is a load of BS. Just because I may not agree with everything you say does not mean that I am part of any clique, and you know it.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:07 pm
Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am

Sorry if I come over as aggressive, not my intention but take your point. Not a lot to be positive about atm.
Thanks for the very reasonable reply. I agree that things on the pitch are not great at the moment, and we all have different views on the best way to resolve matters - that is the reason why message boards exist and long may it continue.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

I like to see all views posted whether I agree with them or not.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:13 pm
Thank you for your post, which if I may be so bold, as another poster may have put it, is a load of BS. Just because I may not agree with everything you say does not mean that I am part of any clique, and you know it.
I think we are mixing up our B's here, BB.
You see there's B, BS and BB so it's a little confusing.
I was not referring to you but our poster Betelgeuse which is also the name of an amazing Red Giant star.
Some scientists think it may blow its top at any moment so it might just as well be called BB.

By the way, reference your earlier accusation directed at Mr B of being 'pretty aggressive' , pot and kettle come to mind.....
:rofl
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Being a bit of a recluse I have learnt something.

Wum

An acronym meaning Wind-Up Merchant.
It refers to someone who posts on message boards and newsgroups with the intention to cause as much disruption as possible by goading others.
He's a WUM, just ignore his posts.

There is another definition of the word. Too old fashioned to post that one. Look it up.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

New Forester wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:02 pm Being a bit of a recluse I have learnt something.

Wum

An acronym meaning Wind-Up Merchant.
It refers to someone who posts on message boards and newsgroups with the intention to cause as much disruption as possible by goading others.
He's a WUM, just ignore his posts.

There is another definition of the word. Too old fashioned to post that one. Look it up.
:thumb I was thinking the same, NF
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Dinksy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:38 pm
I was not referring to you but our poster Betelgeuse which is also the name of an amazing Red Giant star.
Some scientists think it may blow its top at any moment so it might just as well be called BB.

By the way, reference your earlier accusation directed at Mr B of being 'pretty aggressive' , pot and kettle come to mind.....
So sorry - in my clumsy way I was trying to reconcile things so there could be reasonable and friendly debate, but I can now see that I was wasting my time.

It is correct that I am rather old, and at my age I really don't need being wound up, so see you later.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

I certainly don't aim to wind anyone up with my posts. I like a bit of banter but I'm definitely not a WUM.
I just care passionately about my club and I'm guilty of being too vocal at times, particularly after poor results. Having said that I do believe what I write (mostly) and have found on this board that if you criticise too much you get shut down by other posters.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

I have never and would never criticise you for having a different opinion, everyone on here has different opinions. What gets people's back up is that you put your opinion in very aggressive terms, and you say that people can el you for your opinion, well you shout very loud that your opinion is correct and everyone else is wrong. And your opinion does not ever alter even if facts are put in front of you. If you are then questions over the facts you are claiming are correct you say that you never said it, repeatedly on different subjects you deny ever saying the things that have started any heated debates, that is why you get accused of being a wum.
Have your opinion, make your point, stand by your words but be respectful of other people's opinions too
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:58 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:38 pm

So sorry - in my clumsy way I was trying to reconcile things so there could be reasonable and friendly debate, but I can now see that I was wasting my time.

It is correct that I am rather old, and at my age I really don't need being wound up, so see you later.
Sorry BB if my responding to some of the posts recently has contributed to you feeling this way. I’ve definitely felt myself getting more involved and I have probably responded to more of the antagonistic posts more than I’d probably like to admit recently.

I’ve been a member of this board for coming on 15 years and while not always active have always appreciated the vast number of opinions on here over the years including yours. That hasn’t changed. I guess I’ve realised today there comes a point where you have to pick you battles and know that not every invitation to an argument has to be accepted. Take care mate. Pup.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix