Experiences of Hooliganism (Pompey or Otherwise)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Experiences of Hooliganism (Pompey or Otherwise)

Post by Weybridge »

Funniest one I remember was away at Cardiff pre-season, in the very early 90s. Four of us in the car. We find somewhere close-ish to Ninian Park and park up. About 20 seconds out of the car we're stopped by the police who warn us there is likely to be trouble today. They tell us to remove our scarves, cover up our shirts, and just stash anything Pompey-related in the boot. They even advise us to flip the tax disc over to hide where it was issued. They advise going straight to the ground, and avoid all pubs. They're not kidding around.

We nod and take their advice, and heads down, make our way toward the stadium.

Suddenly, an enormous SOUTHERN SELF DRIVE Luton van screams past us. The brakes are slammed on, and a voice yells out 'TAFFY C***S!!!'. The rear doors open up, and Docker and his mates spill out, heading straight for us.

'We're Pompey you ****!' we stammer.

'Oh, thought you was a Taff', pointing to our mate Kev - and his ginger beard.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:51 am
Pre-season friendly at Bristol City? 90/91? (Guy Whittingham and Andy Cole swapped hat-tricks). Big fight up in the stands. I took my nephew to that one, and he was terrified. I was grateful we were in the terraces. Wasn't allowed to take him again...
That was the 1st game of the season Weybridge. 92/93 season.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:38 pm Funniest one I remember was away at Cardiff pre-season, in the very early 90s. Four of us in the car. We find somewhere close-ish to Ninian Park and park up. About 20 seconds out of the car we're stopped by the police who warn us there is likely to be trouble today. They tell us to remove our scarves, cover up our shirts, and just stash anything Pompey-related in the boot. They even advise us to flip the tax disc over to hide where it was issued. They advise going straight to the ground, and avoid all pubs. They're not kidding around.

We nod and take their advice, and heads down, make our way toward the stadium.

Suddenly, an enormous SOUTHERN SELF DRIVE Luton van screams past us. The brakes are slammed on, and a voice yells out 'TAFFY C***S!!!'. The rear doors open up, and Docker and his mates spill out, heading straight for us.

'We're Pompey you ****!' we stammer.

'Oh, thought you was a Taff', pointing to our mate Kev - and his ginger beard.
Brilliant. :rofl
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Just sorting out some of my old stuff in the loft and came across this. Was the evening news headline the next day (Saturday) , saw it after the Pompey home game. I was one of the skinheads involved but we just went there for a quick drink. Needless to say after the events we didn’t get into many pubs, everyone had heard about it. It also gets a mention in the 657 book.
89F659F1-651B-4069-B1E5-9D9C02CD49D9.jpeg
2BE27541-937B-44C7-8B67-59450F9025D9.jpeg
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

I was at most games throughout the 50s and until I left the area in 1966. Throughout that time I simply do not recall witnessing any significant crowd trouble. And it has seemed quite peaceful to me since returning to watch more matches in the last 20 years or so. Mind you, my wife tells me I’m not very observant!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

In the 65/66 season, one of my Mates from School said there was a cheap rail excursion to Cardiff where Pompey were playing. These were the days of toilet roll streamers stolen from the train. We arrived in Cardiff, the Central Station is north west of the City centre and Ninian Park (as it was then) was west of the Station. So we marched en bloc slightly on a "dog Leg" through the minor shopping centre of Canton. The guys in front decided to march through Woolworths, which we thought was rather funny. We continued along the Cowbridge Road before turning left along Leckwith Road towards the Ground in Ninian Park Road. I am not sure if there was any damage to Woolworths or items stolen but I did not see anything like that.

I know Cardiff quite well now because several years later I worked in the City for about 4 years
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man