Awfs return?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Awfs return?

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Andy Awford left Luton Town's academy this week, after seemingly doing a very highly regarded job there. Could he be our new Director of Football?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Awfs return?

Post by Sam_Brown »

I’m always happy to see people who care about the club and have a connection with it working at the club. If he’s free I’d hope there’s a space for him somewhere.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey played Yeovil in September 2014. Yeovil is a reasonably close location from PL20 (only 100 miles). I arrived early and was awaiting my Brother who was working in Bristol at the time. I noticed that Barry Harris (what a legend) was talking to a couple of people by the Players Entrance. I wanted to remind him of the FA Cup match in 1967 at White Hart Lane when about 20,000 Pompey Fans attended. It still sends shivers up my spine because at the time Barry travelled to all Pompey matches in a white Sailors uniform and was given permission to walk around the perimeter of the pitch. (those were the days! When Barry Harris appeared from the Players Tunnel the cheer from the Pompey fans was deafening. Louder than when Spurs scored their 3 goals. When I spoke to him and reminded him, he was able to quote the Pompey Team that day and the Spurs team also. The Gentleman he was chatting to introduced himself to me, "I am Andy Awford`s Dad and my Grandson is playing for Pompey tonight." We had a very interesting chat and then the Pompey Coach arrived so Barry had to depart. Andy Awford then appeared and talked to his Father and I went to find my Brother. Nick Awford was substituted in the second half and I am not sure whether he played again for Pompey (sad to report he was rubbish)
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

I remember watching Nick play for Havant & Waterlooville after he left Pompey (might have been the season after the game with Yeovil) and to be honest he looked a little out of his depth at that level.

His dad on the other hand, alongside Kit Symons, is possibly still my favourite central defensive pairing in a Pompey shirt, maybe because I was an impressionable youngster in the early 90s, or just maybe because they were both really good! I know there were better pairings in PL times (Campbell/Distin; De Zeeuw/Stefanovic; anyone and Linvoy) but I'll always have a soft spot for Awfs and Kit.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I always liked the Paul Went in the mid to late seventies Went in my opinion was often over looked but was a cultured modern type centre back
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:01 pm I always liked the Paul Went in the mid to late seventies Went in my opinion was often over looked but was a cultured modern type centre back
"6'2 eyes of blue, big Paul Went is after you"

Iirc he was gone by 1976. I dont recall him in a blue shirt after that?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

My favourite central defensive pairing was Paul Went & Melcombe Manley. It was short lived because of Manley's career ending injury, but he was a real classy player with Went adding the brawn.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

Paul Went... Could knee a football further than anyone.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

pompeygunner wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:56 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:01 pm I always liked the Paul Went in the mid to late seventies Went in my opinion was often over looked but was a cultured modern type centre back
"6'2 eyes of blue, big Paul Went is after you"

Iirc he was gone by 1976. I dont recall him in a blue shirt after that?
We had to sell him in 1976 to Cardiff due to our age old problem of living beyond our means thus the SOS Pompey campaign at the time
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

My favourite defensive pairing was Ron Tindall and Harry Harris in the late 60s/ early 70s. Two hard men who knew their game.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Rjk66 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:49 pm My favourite defensive pairing was Ron Tindall and Harry Harris in the late 60s/ early 70s. Two hard men who knew their game.
It`s ironic that both players were signed as Strikers
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man