Morecambe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Morecambe

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:20 pm I *think* I just merged the two posts. Hopefully not messed it up completely!
Thanks Rubi
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

This isn't even a play off side sadly. We can't score enough goals, especially with all the injuries we keep getting. I'd question the medical team tbh.
We don't have any real penetration and are so one paced. Today we could barely control the ball, and if it wasn't for Griffiths we'd have been stuffed. Defence cut open at will. We are a very poor side, Cowley needs to change the system or resign. The players either don't do what they're told or Cowley doesn't coach them properly. I don't think he's good enough personally.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Nowhere near a play off side, mid table is looking doubtful now. Not good enough in nearly every department from management to nearly every player in the side. Injury almost seems an excuse for an excuse for players to duck out of the shitstream coming their way after a bad display. January transfer window definitely needs additions and some exclusions will help
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Rjk66 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:31 pm Nowhere near a play off side, mid table is looking doubtful now. Not good enough in nearly every department from management to nearly every player in the side. Injury almost seems an excuse for players to duck out of the shitstream coming their way after a bad display. January transfer window definitely needs additions and some exclusions will help
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:28 pm This isn't even a play off side sadly. We can't score enough goals, especially with all the injuries we keep getting. I'd question the medical team tbh.
We don't have any real penetration and are so one paced. Today we could barely control the ball, and if it wasn't for Griffiths we'd have been stuffed. Defence cut open at will. We are a very poor side, Cowley needs to change the system or resign. The players either don't do what they're told or Cowley doesn't coach them properly. I don't think he's good enough personally.
I’m sorry to say but I would agree with most of that. In particular that they aren’t coached properly. I think it was Warnock that once fined one of his team if he passed the ball backwards..if that was utilised at Pompey only the goalkeeper would get paid!!
What is it with Scarlett? Why can’t he play a full 90mins? He’s a young lad, should be fully fit but seems to get knackered after 70mins.
This group should be capable of beating any of the other teams in this league but they don’t play fast enough or with sufficient creativity..and that is down to their coaching.
Reckon we will be lucky to finish above 10th!!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I’m becoming increasingly concerned by the fact that players are continually relapsing after less than 90 minute as was the case with Lowery today. It must now call into question both the training regime and the medical support maybe Scarlett is knackered due to too much high intensity training. Cowley is on record as valuing performance in training in team selection maybe players are pushing to hard to be selected to the detriment of their physical conditioning
I would like to consider Cowleys reaction to the game but quite frankly I’ve given up reading and listening to him as he talks total bullocks no matter what the result
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:55 pm …I’ve given up reading and listening to him as he talks total bullocks no matter what the result
I’ve been doing that from 3rd game in..the guy is out of his depth and talks shi*e!!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:10 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:55 pm …I’ve given up reading and listening to him as he talks total bullocks no matter what the result
I’ve been doing that from 3rd game in..the guy is out of his depth and talks shi*e!!
The 3rd game into this season or the 3rd game after he took over :D
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I have no right to offer an opinion as the only time I've seen Pompey play this season was the Hereford match, however, I do have the right to ask a question, so here's one...

What turned a team that couldn't lose at the beginning of the season into a team that now cannot win?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:14 pm I have no right to offer an opinion as the only time I've seen Pompey play this season was the Hereford match, however, I do have the right to ask a question, so here's one...

What turned a team that couldn't lose at the beginning of the season into a team that now cannot win?
Maybe that at the beginning of the season playing 4-4-2 was innovative in the modern game but based upon the players we had worked well until first other managers out thought Cowley tactically and overloaded our midfield and then injuries made it a less effective system but Cowley stuck with it anyway.
I say this as someone who has attended every home match plus Ipswich away
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:32 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:14 pm I have no right to offer an opinion as the only time I've seen Pompey play this season was the Hereford match, however, I do have the right to ask a question, so here's one...

Maybe that at the beginning of the season playing 4-4-2 was innovative in the modern game but based upon the players we had worked well until first other managers out thought Cowley tactically and overloaded our midfield and then injuries made it a less effective system but Cowley stuck with it anyway.
I say this as someone who has attended every home match plus Ipswich away
Thanks for that. Pretty much what I was expecting to be said, and confirms what has been said by others of late. What I don't get is if fans can see it, why can't the coaching staff? And more importantly, why can't the owners (or their advisors) see that the coaching staff can't see it? Or can the owners see it but it suits their 'plan' to stick with them?
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:14 pm
What a great question!!
I wonder how DC would answer it if put to him??
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

But 442 isn't a system that gets sussed and leaves you weak. 442 is a sound solid system that provides strength in all areas of the pitch, if you play it decently.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

But I do agree it's odd to recruit players specifically to fit a 352 and then not play it.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Injuries.