Derby

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Derby

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Mr Dee wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:13 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:21 pm I can't fathom why Cowley plays the same attack pretty much game after game when we aren't scoring more than one in league games. Can't he see what's happening on the pitch? Couldn't believe the line up yesterday again!
I can only remember 2 shots by us yesterday
According to the BBC stats we had 10 shots
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:26 pm
Mr Dee wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:13 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:21 pm I can't fathom why Cowley plays the same attack pretty much game after game when we aren't scoring more than one in league games. Can't he see what's happening on the pitch? Couldn't believe the line up yesterday again!
I can only remember 2 shots by us yesterday
I must've dozed off 🤔
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

[/quote]

It depends upon your opinion as to what constitutes a shot BBC stats count anything remotely aimed at or near the goal as far as I can ascertain
The fact is we had one shot that their keeper handled in added time at the end of the game and I’ve seen stronger back passes.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I'm amazed that despite playing so badly and having two games in hand we are still 7th and only 2 points behind 4th!

We aren't setting the world on fire but no one seems to be running away in the league. If you look at the top 6 all of them have dropped points recently. A quick check on the other boards and most teams have fans moaning like we are despite being higher in the league!

The Derby game was the first game I've seen us play in a long time and it certainly didn't look like the shambles I'd been led to believe. A draw is a fair result and while we didn't threaten their goal as much as I'd like we didn't look like conceding either.

Let's get some perspective gents. This is L1. Not the Prem. No one is going to be going on a Man City esque 20 game winning run any time soon.

Keep the faith!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

We haven't won in 8 or is it 9 games. Tell me that's not terrible form. But we shouldn't expect any more. After all, the ground is looking nice and we're only in the 6th year of American ownership of our soccer club.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Yeah it is bad form, I hear you 100%. Yet somehow we are still in contention with 2 games in hand!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

On the positive side, we have become a difficult team to beat.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

Because we don't stretch ourselves trying to win.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:32 pm I'm amazed that despite playing so badly and having two games in hand we are still 7th and only 2 points behind 4th!

We aren't setting the world on fire but no one seems to be running away in the league. If you look at the top 6 all of them have dropped points recently. A quick check on the other boards and most teams have fans moaning like we are despite being higher in the league!

The Derby game was the first game I've seen us play in a long time and it certainly didn't look like the shambles I'd been led to believe. A draw is a fair result and while we didn't threaten their goal as much as I'd like we didn't look like conceding either.

Let's get some perspective gents. This is L1. Not the Prem. No one is going to be going on a Man City esque 20 game winning run any time soon.

Keep the faith!
:thumb :thumb
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:45 pm We haven't won in 8 or is it 9 games. Tell me that's not terrible form. But we shouldn't expect any more. After all, the ground is looking nice and we're only in the 6th year of American ownership of our soccer club.
It's actually one win in nine games in the league (the win came in the middle of the run).

Alternatively, it could be said that we're unbeaten in seven games in all competitions.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

PeteM wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:58 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:45 pm We haven't won in 8 or is it 9 games. Tell me that's not terrible form. But we shouldn't expect any more. After all, the ground is looking nice and we're only in the 6th year of American ownership of our soccer club.
It's actually one win in nine games in the league (the win came in the middle of the run).

Alternatively, it could be said that we're unbeaten in seven games in all competitions.
Exactly lets keep positive
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Whilst I don't think we'll win the league I still think we're in with a shout of being in the promotion mix at the end of the season. I'd like to be positive and say top six is a real possibility.

We've had a few injuries but if we can get players back and fit we are capable of finding the sort of form we showed at the start of the season. We are able to cause teams problems and scoring goals we saw that at the start of the season.

In my opinion we need to rest Scarlett and Koroman, bring in Curtis and Piggott and just freshen the team up. Make players earn their spot in the team.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

It will be interesting to see what Team turns out tomorrow in the Mickey Mouse Cup
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Last 8 league games, won 1 drawn 5, lost 2, goals 7 for, 10 against. Bottom 6 form. And Cowley keeps plugging away with the same formation and ineffective forward line.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:00 am Last 8 league games, won 1 drawn 5, lost 2, goals 7 for, 10 against. Bottom 6 form. And Cowley keeps plugging away with the same formation and ineffective forward line.
Form isn't great at the moment, but we're not alone. I think when we say 'its a tough league' - it isn't, it's a poor league mired with inconsistency.

Last season, people were moaning that Cowley kept rotating the side and didn't know what his best eleven was. This time people are moaning he's persisting with the same eleven!

I was covering Bristol Rovers v Peterborough on Saturday. Rovers who had lost something like six homes on the trot in all competitions, and Peterborough going strong as ever. Turned out to be route one v route one, and Posh were dire. Rovers looked like world beaters in comparison and jumped a couple of places to - 15th. The league makes no sense. In terms of form, Plymouth are 2.25 points a game which is promotion form, Ipswich and Wednesday are barely at 2, and everyone else is struggling. At least we've got a couple of games in hand.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."