World Cup so far

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: World Cup so far

Post by Blue Walter »

Football has a knack of building up hopes and then shattering them, especially when you support a club like Pompey. We have two television games today and I was full of hope for both games but the first has ended in disappointment thanks to Wycombe. I really hope the second game rekindles the optimism of this morning. Will I be taking my flags down tomorrow morning?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Well done England, Southgate called it right again bringing in Saka. The three youngsters, Foden, Bellingham and Saka look so good.

It could be coming home, but lets get past the French before we start singing that song!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:16 pm Football has a knack of building up hopes and then shattering them, especially when you support a club like Pompey. We have two television games today and I was full of hope for both games but the first has ended in disappointment thanks to Wycombe. I really hope the second game rekindles the optimism of this morning. Will I be taking my flags down tomorrow morning?
3 for me with the Fury fight that turned into an absolute farce. Might as well have been WWE with how easy Fury took it on old del boy round 3 onwards.

Glad the England game last night went well. Would have ruined the weekend to have all three being crap!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:11 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:16 pm Football has a knack of building up hopes and then shattering them, especially when you support a club like Pompey. We have two television games today and I was full of hope for both games but the first has ended in disappointment thanks to Wycombe. I really hope the second game rekindles the optimism of this morning. Will I be taking my flags down tomorrow morning?
3 for me with the Fury fight that turned into an absolute farce. Might as well have been WWE with how easy Fury took it on old del boy round 3 onwards.

Glad the England game last night went well. Would have ruined the weekend to have all three being crap!
Fury fight was an absolute joke, I have never seen a boxer hit his opponent, and then hold on so he doesnt fall over. should have been over in round 2 or 3 but kept going and going and going
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Does anyone actually enjoy watching Spain?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:40 pm Does anyone actually enjoy watching Spain?
Nope.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Mr Dee wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:42 pm
New Forester wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:40 pm Does anyone actually enjoy watching Spain?
Nope.
I take that back. I enjoyed them the last 10 minutes or so
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I did not watch the match but I am pleased Spain have been eliminated
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I enjoyed watching them cry at the end. Morocco were heroic and fully deserved to go through Amrabat's performance was incredible.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I find it pleasing to see Spain knocked out for a couple of reasons. Firstly teams tend to copy the style of successful teams and it sets a trend. Spain & Barcelona have played this possession based game for some time now and I find it so boring to watch, most of the time. Clubs like Manchester City play in the same way to a certain extent and other clubs lower down the football pyramid copy it. Like when England won the World Cup with their "wingless wonders". Mostly it is endless passing which is punctuated with a fabulous pass and breath taking bit of skill, but that is mainly by the big really skilled teams. When you get the likes of Milton Keynes playing that way it becomes a total bore in my opinion. This playing out from the back is a version of this type of football and so many teams get caught out doing it. Watching England do it is so frustrating when you know we are blessed with so much attacking talent. I find it so frustrating when after 5 minutes of endless passing in the central defensive area it eventually gets passed out to the wing. This player will often choose to pass it sideways, or back, rather than take a chance to beat the player in front of him a progress further into an attacking position. So frustrating!!

Also with Spain out that means another big side less to contend with should we progress.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm I find it pleasing to see Spain knocked out for a couple of reasons. Firstly teams tend to copy the style of successful teams and it sets a trend. Spain & Barcelona have played this possession based game for some time now and I find it so boring to watch, most of the time. Clubs like Manchester City play in the same way to a certain extent and other clubs lower down the football pyramid copy it. Like when England won the World Cup with their "wingless wonders". Mostly it is endless passing which is punctuated with a fabulous pass and breath taking bit of skill, but that is mainly by the big really skilled teams. When you get the likes of Milton Keynes playing that way it becomes a total bore in my opinion. This playing out from the back is a version of this type of football and so many teams get caught out doing it. Watching England do it is so frustrating when you know we are blessed with so much attacking talent. I find it so frustrating when after 5 minutes of endless passing in the central defensive area it eventually gets passed out to the wing. This player will often choose to pass it sideways, or back, rather than take a chance to beat the player in front of him a progress further into an attacking position. So frustrating!!
You have just adequately described the way Pompey play!!!!
(Oh, except for "which is punctuated with a fabulous pass and breath taking bit of skill"..no, that is not Pompey)
:lol: :lol:
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

They are boring boring boring.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

eltorrro wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:02 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm I find it pleasing to see Spain knocked out for a couple of reasons. Firstly teams tend to copy the style of successful teams and it sets a trend. Spain & Barcelona have played this possession based game for some time now and I find it so boring to watch, most of the time. Clubs like Manchester City play in the same way to a certain extent and other clubs lower down the football pyramid copy it. Like when England won the World Cup with their "wingless wonders". Mostly it is endless passing which is punctuated with a fabulous pass and breath taking bit of skill, but that is mainly by the big really skilled teams. When you get the likes of Milton Keynes playing that way it becomes a total bore in my opinion. This playing out from the back is a version of this type of football and so many teams get caught out doing it. Watching England do it is so frustrating when you know we are blessed with so much attacking talent. I find it so frustrating when after 5 minutes of endless passing in the central defensive area it eventually gets passed out to the wing. This player will often choose to pass it sideways, or back, rather than take a chance to beat the player in front of him a progress further into an attacking position. So frustrating!!
You have just adequately described the way Pompey play!!!!
(Oh, except for "which is punctuated with a fabulous pass and breath taking bit of skill"..no, that is not Pompey)
:lol: :lol:

Actually I was thinking Pompey while I was typing. What I find so bemusing about it is that after a period of pointless passing they either lose the ball or it gets punted upfield, which is something they could have done in the first place. During this World Cup it is noticeable how many teams have gone for the long ball out of defence.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

213 million, 4 million. How do Croatia do it?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Holy Croats Batman.
Div III. Call it what it is.