Reeco Hackett

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Reeco Hackett

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

There was a comment made about him a few weeks ago, along the lines of how its completely embarrassing that a league one player is completely one footed, how he can only use his left foot and it is unacceptable as this level to be that way.

So there I was on Tuesday night watching a football match and thinking yep, its completely embarrassing to be totally one footed, to only be able to use your left foot......

So Come on Lionel, learn to use your right foot FFS you are an embarrassment !! :thumb
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Reeco Hackett

Post by StMonkton »

Didn’t he make the pass for goal three with his right?

Your point is well made though. In some ways it shows how brilliant he is because defenders know he is always trying to set up something on his left. Lots don’t seem to be able to stop him though.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Maradona was completely one footed (left foot)as well
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:18 am Maradona was completely one footed (left foot)as well
He was left handed as well ;-) :lol:
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

StMonkton wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:19 am Didn’t he make the pass for goal three with his right?

Your point is well made though. In some ways it shows how brilliant he is because defenders know he is always trying to set up something on his left. Lots don’t seem to be able to stop him though.
he did indeed StMonkton - details details lol
I think it was just about the only touch with his right foot all game
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Surely if you are so heavily left footed with only rare use of the right foot, then surely its going to affect your play in certain situations. Professional player must be two-footed surely.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:23 pm
StMonkton wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:19 am Didn’t he make the pass for goal three with his right?

I seem to remember the third goal being a great free kick from Pigott
The second set up by a good pass from Morrell
The first a solo effort from Mingi

Which was a result of this right footed pass ?
It’s stretching it a bit if referring to the pass that drew the foul which resulted in Pigott scoring
Maybe the cold affected my eyesight :D
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Not a problem Monkton posed the question regarding Hacketts contribution to the goal and I responded stating what I had seen
If that was what you were referring to rather than the link
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Also Norman Hunter, who famously only used his right foot to stand on, apart possibly from the odd kick at an opponent!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I rate Hackett as a player, in fact I think he is a very gifted player. Unfortunately I also think that often the rigours of League One football is too much for him. He is not exactly a youngster so he is not going to get much stronger. I still think he has got a good future in professional football but he does need to find a way of not being bustled off the ball so easily. Perhaps he might it more comfortable at a higher level where there is more finesse as he certainly has the skill for that. I suppose opposition players know that he needs to be crowded out as he can cause problems if he gets away.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:24 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:23 pm

I seem to remember the third goal being a great free kick from Pigott
The second set up by a good pass from Morrell
The first a solo effort from Mingi

Which was a result of this right footed pass ?
It’s stretching it a bit if referring to the pass that drew the foul which resulted in Pigott scoring
Maybe the cold affected my eyesight :D
it was Messi who passed with his right, not Reeco
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

There's a famous story about George Best who was right footed that I thought worth sharing:

When he was 13 he began to play for his local youth club, Cregagh Boys in east Belfast. The team was run by Bud McFarlane (a close friend of Dickie Best, George’s dad), who was also reserve-team coach at Glentoran Football Club. McFarlane knew from the first moment he saw this skinny, dark-haired and very shy kid play that he had what it took to become a professional footballer and decided that he would mentor the young Best. When Bud suggested George was concentrating too much on playing with his right foot, Best took Bud’s advice on board and over the following week he never touched the ball with his right foot. When he turned up for Cregagh Boys’ next match, he brought only one football boot with him, his left one. George put the boot on and wore a ‘guddy’ (Belfast slang for a plimsoll) on his right foot. He scored 12 goals in the game and never once used his right foot to kick the ball.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:41 pm There's a famous story about George Best who was right footed that I thought worth sharing:

When he was 13 he began to play for his local youth club, Cregagh Boys in east Belfast. The team was run by Bud McFarlane (a close friend of Dickie Best, George’s dad), who was also reserve-team coach at Glentoran Football Club. McFarlane knew from the first moment he saw this skinny, dark-haired and very shy kid play that he had what it took to become a professional footballer and decided that he would mentor the young Best. When Bud suggested George was concentrating too much on playing with his right foot, Best took Bud’s advice on board and over the following week he never touched the ball with his right foot. When he turned up for Cregagh Boys’ next match, he brought only one football boot with him, his left one. George put the boot on and wore a ‘guddy’ (Belfast slang for a plimsoll) on his right foot. He scored 12 goals in the game and never once used his right foot to kick the ball.
Lmao what a knob. An absolutely brilliant knob 🤣.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:41 pm There's a famous story about George Best who was right footed that I thought worth sharing:

I heard a similar story. Bobby Charlton was being interviewed at the Manu training ground. He was asked if he knew which was Best`s stronger foot and he said he did not know. One of the Training Staff overheard the conversation and interjected. He said originally his right foot was stronger but he used to come back after training had finished and practised for hours and hours perfecting his left foot until the one was good as the other.

A lesson for all young footballers everywhere
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man