John Mousinho?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: John Mousinho?

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm guessing we won't go d out tomorrow... Or maybe even this season.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:58 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:46 pm He to is promising fast attacking football!
Yes, I have just seen that. What does that mean, I wonder, third time lucky possibly?
As long as it means an end to the boring sideways back pass lump it we have had for most of this season
My worry is who is picking the team for tomorrow
He hardly knows the players Bassey has gone and Hughes and co backed Cowley
I look forward to seeing the lineup to both get an idea of formation favored but also as a guide to who might be staying or leaving
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

Has any new manager anywhere ever promised ‘slow, defensive football’?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:18 pm Has any new manager anywhere ever promised ‘slow, defensive football’?

Not in so many words they haven't but 'fast attacking football' was actually a secret code used by Jackett. In fact when the code is broken it actually means slow defensive football. The other code they use for this is 'hard to beat'. Danny Cowley did not know either of those codes so he made his own up which was 'good week in training'.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

GrouchyGit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:10 pm As an Oxford fan, I’m gutted. I’d hoped he’d take over from our current gob-*****, brain dead, failure…. Karl Robinson.
Moose is an intelligent, articulate, balanced guy. I hope he’s successful, except against us.
I really hope he can deal with this job and be successful with us. It's an unexpected appointment but it's time to give him full support.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:48 pm
StMonkton wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:18 pm Has any new manager anywhere ever promised ‘slow, defensive football’?

Not in so many words they haven't but 'fast attacking football' was actually a secret code used by Jackett. In fact when the code is broken it actually means slow defensive football. The other code they use for this is 'hard to beat'. Danny Cowley did not know either of those codes so he made his own up which was 'good week in training'.
I preferred “he’s back on the grass” when talking about injured players often wondered which type of grass if it was on the ground or smoking it
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

First late me state very clearly that I intend to get behind the new coach and team from tomorrow and onwards having already got tickets for both Peterborough and Plymouth
However I’ve just read the most total load of ****** from Cullen justifying this appointment comparing us with Plastic Dons explaining that like them we need to establish our identity
What a crock of ***** we don’t need him to establish our identity that’s been established through generations
I’ve been going to Fratton before he was born and sorry I know my clubs identity
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:17 pm First late me state very clearly that I intend to get behind the new coach and team from tomorrow and onwards having already got tickets for both Peterborough and Plymouth
However I’ve just read the most total load of ****** from Cullen justifying this appointment comparing us with Plastic Dons explaining that like them we need to establish our identity
What a crock of ***** we don’t need him to establish our identity that’s been established through generations
I’ve been going to Fratton before he was born and sorry I know my clubs identity
What is the Pompey Way?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:56 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:17 pm First late me state very clearly that I intend to get behind the new coach and team from tomorrow and onwards having already got tickets for both Peterborough and Plymouth
What is the Pompey Way?
Depends on what you define as Pompey way I define it by having teams who may be lacking in skill but still give 100% which gets the supporters behind them
As regards identity it’s a long established well supported club which has in the past reached great heights but has mostly been a fair to middling club with a hardcore of mostly local supporters home and away, many of us proud to been born on the island and even if we moved ultimately return
As a club the fact that we are based in such a unique area makes us unique
Plastic Dons are an abberation that should neverhave been allowed to bypass the pyramid system who mainly exist on the money paid by away supporters at their soulless ground with no history or tradition
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:00 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:48 pm

I preferred “he’s back on the grass” when talking about injured players often wondered which type of grass if it was on the ground or smoking it
:rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:00 am
What is the Pompey Way?
Depends on what you define as Pompey way I define it by having teams who may be lacking in skill but still give 100% which gets the supporters behind them
As regards identity it’s a long established well supported club which has in the past reached great heights but has mostly been a fair to middling club with a hardcore of mostly local supporters home and away, many of us proud to been born on the island and even if we moved ultimately return
Plastic Dons are an abberation that should neverhave been allowed to bypass the pyramid system who mainly exist on the money paid by away supporters at their soulless ground with no history or tradition
Do you not think they might have been talking about the way we play football?

The whole idea is that the club plays a style of football at all levels that doesn't need to change wholesale when a new manager comes in. Brighton being a good example - and to be fair it's seems to be working.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Are there really that many different ways of playing football?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:21 am
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:00 am
What is the Pompey Way?
Do you not think they might have been talking about the way we play football?

The whole idea is that the club plays a style of football at all levels that doesn't need to change wholesale when a new manager comes in. Brighton being a good example - and to be fair it's seems to be working.
Quite possibly but just hate being compared with Plastic Dons
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

This is probably the most significant appointment of the Eisners ownership, not because of who Mousinho is, but because it is representative of the new structure of the club. Pompey's structure has now moved lock stock and barrell into the modern era where the sporting director and director of football are the most important and significant figures, who set the tone of the club, the footballing philosophy, recruitment of players and staff. The Head Coach (not Manager) role is to implement the philosophy on the pitch, it's a far more limited but more focussed role than the days of Redknapp etc. The Head Coach is also more dispensable as in theory they are pretty much interchangeable with any other coach that meets the core footballing philosophy, as the example of Brighton has already been identified rightly in this thread. It's apparent that behind the scenes the club is being set up for the long term in a modern way that is proven to deliver long term success. As I see it, this is the first real step in the Rich Hughes era at Fratton. I just hope we get a short term kick with some wins and climbing up the table to pacify the mob who don't really see or appreciate what's really going on.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sawbo Blue wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:12 am This is probably the most significant appointment of the Eisners ownership, not because of who Mousinho is, but because it is representative of the new structure of the club. Pompey's structure has now moved lock stock and barrell into the modern era where the sporting director and director of football are the most important and significant figures, who set the tone of the club, the footballing philosophy, recruitment of players and staff. The Head Coach (not Manager) role is to implement the philosophy on the pitch, it's a far more limited but more focussed role than the days of Redknapp etc. The Head Coach is also more dispensable as in theory they are pretty much interchangeable with any other coach that meets the core footballing philosophy, as the example of Brighton has already been identified rightly in this thread. It's apparent that behind the scenes the club is being set up for the long term in a modern way that is proven to deliver long term success. As I see it, this is the first real step in the Rich Hughes era at Fratton. I just hope we get a short term kick with some wins and climbing up the table to pacify the mob who don't really see or appreciate what's really going on.
I totally agree - it's the way of football these days at the highest level, and that will trickle down to the other clubs. I don't think it's necessarily understood just how behind the curve Pompey were when the Eisners came in despite the ground the trust made me were always paying catch up. I also don't think it's understood just how long it takes to sort all these things out.

The structure will need to take time to bed in - that doesn't mean you stop trying to achieve it just takes time and there are bumps along the way anyone who's been through a restructure in their working lives, or worked for a company that's been bought out will know what I mean.

JM makes reference in his interview into having seen the plans for the ground. Is that another protest question answered?