Forest Green

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Forest Green

Post by Rjk66 »

So much possession, so many shots, so little results. This is a team really lacking in confidence. Better teams put the opponents to the sword and finish them off in style. We struggle to achieve very little with little effort. Forget the play offs, the players aren’t interested.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought it was a strange game in many ways because I saw It as a mixture of good, bad and downright boring. The boring part was the endless negative passing and very little end product. Forward passing was in short supply but when it was it was either over hit, under hit or just inaccurate. The good was some phases of really good football with nice moves and running off the ball, but mostly without end product. Pompey's game cried out for the need for at least two strikers to make forward passing more feasible. Forest Green were just like their position suggested, out of their depth, and Pompey really should have used the game to boost their goal difference. What I did find pleasing was a couple of players showed some good old fashioned dribbling skills, namely Jacobs, Morrell and Lowery. I thought that Morrell was the stand out player on the pitch and easily the man of the match. Ironically I thought that Dale had one of his worst games for us yet he scored the decisive goal, but missed two other chances where he should have done better. Still, we won which has to be good and keeps some interest for the rest of the season.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Rjk66 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:33 pm So much possession, so many shots, so little results. This is a team really lacking in confidence. Better teams put the opponents to the sword and finish them off in style. We struggle to achieve very little with little effort. Forget the play offs, the players aren’t interested.
I don`t know how you can say that "the Players aren`t interested". I watched the game on IFollow and they looked pretty interested to me. FGR played with five across the back. They were difficult to break down, but we did and they had absolutely nothing going forward. They came for a point, but did not get any!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Yesterday just demonstrated to me what has been the case for a number of seasons now - we don't have the ability to unlock a team intent on defending.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:35 am Yesterday just demonstrated to me what has been the case for a number of seasons now - we don't have the ability to unlock a team intent on defending.
But we did unlock them, and they were certainly a team intent on defending. Admittedly only one goal to show for it, but three points.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:35 am Yesterday just demonstrated to me what has been the case for a number of seasons now - we don't have the ability to unlock a team intent on defending.
But we did unlock them, and they were certainly a team intent on defending. Admittedly only one goal to show for it, but three points.
Agreed - but there have been plenty of times over the last few seasons where we have failed, and that is the difference between a nearly team and a promoted team.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I thought we did OK. We won, and that is the stat that matters most - 3 points gained. It is VERY difficult to break down a team with two rows of 5 defenders, but we did and at the same time managed to do what Sheffield Wednesday failed to do the weekend before. Yes, Tunnicliffe played very deeply, but that enabled Robertson in particular to try to get forward to penetrate their parked bus. We did, however, look more attacking when Tunny was replaced by Pack, and I suspect that may be the last time we see Ryan start for us? Lowery was not on his A Game but I think he just needs time as we know what he is capable of, Morrell is back to his best and Jacobs was very good, especially in the first half. Bishop's work rate is incredible, but he needs more support, and Rafferty was my MOTM.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am I thought we did OK. We won, and that is the stat that matters most - 3 points gained. It is VERY difficult to break down a team with two rows of 5 defenders, but we did and at the same time managed to do what Sheffield Wednesday failed to do the weekend before. Yes, Tunnicliffe played very deeply, but that enabled Robertson in particular to try to get forward to penetrate their parked bus. We did, however, look more attacking when Tunny was replaced by Pack, and I suspect that may be the last time we see Ryan start for us? Lowery was not on his A Game but I think he just needs time as we know what he is capable of, Morrell is back to his best and Jacobs was very good, especially in the first half. Bishop's work rate is incredible, but he needs more support, and Rafferty was my MOTM.
cant argue with any of that Bill.
One thing i did notice, and it was discussed about Dale before, a couple of times rafferty crossed 1st time, nice and early and it caused their defence issues, and other times he passed to dale who ran around in circles before crossing and it caused no issues whatso ever