Men’s football female presenters and pundits

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Men’s football female presenters and pundits

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:42 am
phat_chris wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:39 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:10 pm Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon.
Nail on the head here. The older people get, the more resistant to change and the less adaptable they get. They get used to how things were and don't like it when things become different. We all need to remember that change is neither good, nor bad, it's just different.
But why have women commentating on the men's game? Oh I know....wokism.
so obviously if there is a "womens" event in whatever sport, only women should be allowed to commentate yeah?
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:18 pm
phat_chris wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:15 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:59 pm
phat_chris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:10 pm Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon.
Nail on the head here. The older people get, the more resistant to change and the less adaptable they get. They get used to how things were and don't like it when things become different. We all need to remember that change is neither good, nor bad, it's just different.
If they are knowledgeable and capable then who cares if they are a man or a woman?
I don't really care that much, but it just seems really obvious sometimes that it's quota filling.
You cared enough to ask why we have women commentators for men's football, and to blame your bogeyman, wokism...

I wonder, do you know the reason for employment quotas?
Ooh, do please enlighten us. I've been dying to know this for years!!
Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but will answer in the assumption you genuinely don't know.

In the past employment practices were inherently biased leading to perfectly qualified people being overlooked for roles leading to prominent positions being exclusively filled with the same people (for reference, white males).

Quotas were introduced to try and combat the biases, both conscious and unconscious, and has led to greater representation in these positions by these overlooked groups. Some may argue that the quotas have gone too far. Others will argue that they have not gone far enough. I suspect the answer may be somewhere in between.

I personally see quotas as a blunt force tool to force equality in recruitment. They lack nuance and understanding that there are other factors that can contribute to a job role being taken more predominantly by a certain demographic. Take, for example, the world of Physics. It is a field dominated by men. Quotas have attempted to bring more women into the field, but the truth is, there is just a lack of interest in the field amongst women. This is shown throughout education, particularly at university where the percentage of places taken up by women is painfully low.

Whilst they do lack subtlety, overall they have been a decent stop gap measure to help against discrimination of minority groups. My hope for the future would be that we move beyond these inherent biases so that quotas will no longer be needed.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Good post PH. I don’t like quotas but waiting for ‘trickle down’ to level things has taken up most of my life and imbalances still remain so I accept them as a necessary evil.

Interested to see an earlier post claiming black presenters were over represented based on census data. If we accept that complaint, then the case for quotas is made by default. I’m not sure that’s what the poster wants though.

As an example from another sport, I don’t think we would hear Isa Guha or Alex Hartley on Test Match Special if it were not for a decision to look for gender balance. They are my two favourites from the current TMS crop so the quota has been beneficial for me.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 pm
so obviously if there is a "womens" event in whatever sport, only women should be allowed to commentate yeah?
Spoken by a man...I wonder what the majority of women's choice would be?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

phat_chris wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:33 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:18 pm
phat_chris wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:15 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:59 pm
phat_chris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pm
If they are knowledgeable and capable then who cares if they are a man or a woman?
I don't really care that much, but it just seems really obvious sometimes that it's quota filling.
You cared enough to ask why we have women commentators for men's football, and to blame your bogeyman, wokism...

I wonder, do you know the reason for employment quotas?
Ooh, do please enlighten us. I've been dying to know this for years!!
Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but will answer in the assumption you genuinely don't know.

In the past employment practices were inherently biased leading to perfectly qualified people being overlooked for roles leading to prominent positions being exclusively filled with the same people (for reference, white males).

Quotas were introduced to try and combat the biases, both conscious and unconscious, and has led to greater representation in these positions by these overlooked groups. Some may argue that the quotas have gone too far. Others will argue that they have not gone far enough. I suspect the answer may be somewhere in between.

I personally see quotas as a blunt force tool to force equality in recruitment. They lack nuance and understanding that there are other factors that can contribute to a job role being taken more predominantly by a certain demographic. Take, for example, the world of Physics. It is a field dominated by men. Quotas have attempted to bring more women into the field, but the truth is, there is just a lack of interest in the field amongst women. This is shown throughout education, particularly at university where the percentage of places taken up by women is painfully low.

Whilst they do lack subtlety, overall they have been a decent stop gap measure to help against discrimination of minority groups. My hope for the future would be that we move beyond these inherent biases so that quotas will no longer be needed.
Thanks Chris...excellently explained.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I have got a new idea how to deal with this quotation issue. Why not select the best qualified person for the job? I know it is a bit simplistic but it seems a much fairer way to resolve the problem. Forget what colour or gender they are and go for the best candidate, simple.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil

Post by StMonkton »

That’s what the law requires BW, and has done for about 45 years I think.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:51 pm That’s what the law requires BW, and has done for about 45 years I think.
How can you prove the "Law" has been broken
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil

Post by StMonkton »

Sorry BW misread your post. I thought you were talking about the recruitment issue.

My position on the quotas is stated earlier. In summary, reluctantly in favour of quotas as a means to a desirable end.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:18 pm Sorry BW misread your post. I thought you were talking about the recruitment issue.

My position on the quotas is stated earlier. In summary, reluctantly in favour of quotas as a means to a desirable end.

I was talking about recuitment in general. I am firmly against this quota system being used currently because all it has done is turned the tables on the average white male. In the past women & ethnic groups were overlooked in favour of the majority white male in the workplace. If someone has one position to fill and they have decided to go down the route of not employing a white male, in favour of a coloured or female person, they will know full well any bloke the turns up for the job won't get it. Just like in the past where the white male had preference, which was totally wrong. Not only that it is against the law to employ, or not to employ, anyone because of their gender or colour.

Then there is the so called 'diversity' issue. If the idea is to make the ethnicity representative then they are missing the target. Adverts on TV will have you believe that something like 20 percent of the population are white when the actual figure is more than 85%. They would have you believe most people are in mixed race relationships when the actual figure is in low single figure percentage. Pre Millennials the figure is below one percent but much higher post Millennial. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixed race relationships but trying to give the impression that it's the norm is misguiding. The the gay representation is ridiculously shown. It seems that the general population are being groomed into believing what is shown is normality.

I have come to the conclusion that the white male is now the most oppressed section of our community. Tables certainly turned.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I know we all have anecdotal evidence but looking at the stats I'm not sure the reality is as "anti white male" as many would have us believe.

As a % of the total number more White people are in employment now than almost any point in the last 20 years.

When you break is down by sex then white males come in at 79% and women at 74%.

In terms of age brackets then the only metric for which White people aren't doing as well is the 50 - 64 bracket. I'd be interested how much of that is down to "boomers" generally retiring earlier. Hence the governments push to try and keep more older people in employment recently.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... -ethnicity
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:37 pm I know we all have anecdotal evidence but looking at the stats I'm not sure the reality is as "anti white male" as many would have us believe.

As a % of the total number more White people are in employment now than almost any point in the last 20 years.

When you break is down by sex then white males come in at 79% and women at 74%.

In terms of age brackets then the only metric for which White people aren't doing as well is the 50 - 64 bracket. I'd be interested how much of that is down to "boomers" generally retiring earlier. Hence the governments push to try and keep more older people in employment recently.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... -ethnicity
Yes, I have seen some of these surveys and they tend to suggest that the white and Afro Caribbean males are the most likely to be more Idle. They also suggest that a white male is more likely to seek early retirement than their counterparts in other ethnic groups. There is a skill shortage in this country in many trades which is being filled by females turning to trades that were initially a male preserve. The apprenticeship schemes currently being pushed is a good thing if it can be maintained for a long period. Surveys can be misleading though and cannot be seen as hard evidence of any particular scenario but they do give an indication.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:15 pm
StMonkton wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:18 pm Sorry BW misread your post. I thought you were talking about the recruitment issue.

I was talking about recuitment in general. I am firmly against this quota system being used currently because all it has done is turned the tables on the average white male. In the past women & ethnic groups were overlooked in favour of the majority white male in the workplace. If someone has one position to fill and they have decided to go down the route of not employing a white male, in favour of a coloured or female person, they will know full well any bloke the turns up for the job won't get it. Just like in the past where the white male had preference, which was totally wrong. Not only that it is against the law to employ, or not to employ, anyone because of their gender or colour.

Then there is the so called 'diversity' issue. If the idea is to make the ethnicity representative then they are missing the target. Adverts on TV will have you believe that something like 20 percent of the population are white when the actual figure is more than 85%. They would have you believe most people are in mixed race relationships when the actual figure is in low single figure percentage. Pre Millennials the figure is below one percent but much higher post Millennial. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixed race relationships but trying to give the impression that it's the norm is misguiding. The the gay representation is ridiculously shown. It seems that the general population are being groomed into believing what is shown is normality.

I have come to the conclusion that the white male is now the most oppressed section of our community. Tables certainly turned.
Maybe it's just me, but when I watch adverts I don't sit there thinking, "there's a black person. There's a white person. There's an Asian person. Oooo there's a man putting his cock in another man's mouth" (I'm just being silly here to keep the mood light). These things just don't register with me. I see people. I see interactions between people. I see products. I couldn't tell you if one demographic is being represented more than another or not as it just doesn't matter. People are people and the sooner the human race realises this, the sooner we can move away from hatred and discrimination and just treat everyone equally.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

phat_chris wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:32 pmMaybe it's just me, but when I watch adverts I don't sit there thinking, "there's a black person. There's a white person. There's an Asian person. Oooo there's a man putting his cock in another man's mouth" (I'm just being silly here to keep the mood light). These things just don't register with me. I see people. I see interactions between people. I see products. I couldn't tell you if one demographic is being represented more than another or not as it just doesn't matter. People are people and the sooner the human race realises this, the sooner we can move away from hatred and discrimination and just treat everyone equally.
Spot on. Seems like it needs a blunt instrument to start things as there are too many people who will try to get around equality by whatever means possible.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:32 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:15 pm

Maybe it's just me, but when I watch adverts I don't sit there thinking, "there's a black person. There's a white person. There's an Asian person. Oooo there's a man putting his cock in another man's mouth" (I'm just being silly here to keep the mood light). These things just don't register with me. I see people. I see interactions between people. I see products. I couldn't tell you if one demographic is being represented more than another or not as it just doesn't matter. People are people and the sooner the human race realises this, the sooner we can move away from hatred and discrimination and just treat everyone equally.

Well that’s just the point, everyone is not being treated equally. Maybe you are a nicer person than me and see the good in everything but, unfortunately, I don't see it the same as you. I see a day by day erosion of equality to the point where racial unrest could rear its ugly head again. I know racism still exists from all quarters of society but this over the top quotational approach may well result in large scale dissatisfaction. The law should be given a chance to work and bigoted practices of the past doesn't become part of the future.