Men’s football female presenters and pundits

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Men’s football female presenters and pundits

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Someone in my Family is a Journalist. If they do interviews in the street, they have a quota to fill which includes People of Colour, Older Females and they are "marked down" if those groups are not included in their interviews. In the latest Census completed in 2021 the percentage of the population which is not "White" is about 12%. When you switch on your television work out what are 12% of the faces you see or what is the actual breakdown!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Women presenters and women pundits, it’s a big NO from me.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:34 pm We’ve been round this loop before recently but I see ‘woke’ as self defined by those who use it as a negative term . It seems to be shorthand for ‘progressive views I don’t agree with’

As to bigots using ‘woke’ as cover, examples please BW.

There are plenty of examples seen every day. For example my brother has a friend who runs an agency that 'head hunts' people for certain jobs. He was given the task to find someone to head a new section of a nationwide company to cover the South of England. His brief was to find a person with the necessary qualifications but they wanted a female, preferably of colour, to be the successful candidate. Therefore he knew any white male who applied would not be considered but for legal requirements he had to go through the procedure. I don't know what the outcome was but my brothers friend was in a quandary about his task. I would call the task setter a bigot.

You could say that this particular instance is 'pay back' to the majority white population that done exactly the same thing the other way round in the past, bigotry, which was wrong. However, if it was wrong then it is wrong now.

There is a group of people who are actively woke, it is not a 'cover' or an imagined concept it is real. There is a group, or type of person, who are waiting to be offended by the majority of the population. Bigotry is a double edged sword because there are still people who are actively racist from either side of the ethnicity divide.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

One of the problems is that those shouting "racism" are quite often more racist than those that they are accusing
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:06 am One of the problems is that those shouting "racism" are quite often more racist than those that they are accusing

Very true. I was on a trip with an Indian chap from Richmond who I got on really well with. We had a common interest with football, his team was Queens Park Rangers. We covered a lot of subjects in our many conversations including racial subjects. One day, right out of the blue, he said to me "I bet I am more racist than you". That comment surprised me because I wouldn't consider myself racist anyway and it was out of context with the content of the conversation at the time. He explained to me that his father expected him to marry "a nice Indian girl", which he did, but the girl had to come from the same sect as his family. He would have not been allowed to have marry anyone outside that sect. He also revealed a total hatred of Islamic people, although not to the extent of his father. Also the generation of his father would not mix with Afro Caribbeans out of choice. This particular chap did say that generations after his father's had a lesser racially and bigoted veiw but it does still exist.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:39 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:10 pm Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon.
Nail on the head here. The older people get, the more resistant to change and the less adaptable they get. They get used to how things were and don't like it when things become different. We all need to remember that change is neither good, nor bad, it's just different.
But why have women commentating on the men's game? Oh I know....wokism.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:48 am
... my brother has a friend who runs an agency that 'head hunts' people for certain jobs. He was given the task to find someone to head a new section of a nationwide company to cover the South of England. His brief was to find a person with the necessary qualifications but they wanted a female, preferably of colour, to be the successful candidate. Therefore he knew any white male who applied would not be considered but for legal requirements he had to go through the procedure. I don't know what the outcome was but my brothers friend was in a quandary about his task. I would call the task setter a bigot.
I run an employment agency - if a 'client' gave us a brief like that I would refuse to help them.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:22 am
... my brother has a friend who runs an agency that 'head hunts' people for certain jobs. He was given the task to find someone to head a new section of a nationwide company to cover the South of England. His brief was to find a person with the necessary qualifications but they wanted a female, preferably of colour, to be the successful candidate. Therefore he knew any white male who applied would not be considered but for legal requirements he had to go through the procedure. I don't know what the outcome was but my brothers friend was in a quandary about his task. I would call the task setter a bigot.
I run an employment agency - if a 'client' gave us a brief like that I would refuse to help them.

I suspect that was the outcome but I do know that he was worried about losing a very good customer. I will check and see what the outcome was.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 am

I suspect that was the outcome but I do know that he was worried about losing a very good customer. I will check and see what the outcome was.
My guess is he only head-hunted and put forward candidates that matched that discriminatory criteria. Why waste his time on candidates who won't get the job from the outset? It's completely wrong to put him in that position, but the agency is there to make a profit.

I saw an advert outside a Poundland-type shop asking for only polish speaking people for a job. I'm pretty sure no one made a fuss about that, but then I guess it was only the acceptable face of discrimination.

But back to the original topic. I don't have an issue with female presenters/punters, as long as they know what they are talking about and got the gig on merit. I listen to Talksport a few mornings a week. They had Laura Woods with Ali McCoist last week and she knows one hell of a lot more about sports than a lot of the male pundits/presenters. I don't think she was playing on the fact she's very attractive either, she is simply a very good and knowledgeable sports presenter. I find Lineker, Shearer, Wright etc. very boring to watch in comparison to listening to her.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 am

I have checked the outcome of this story and my brother is hopping mad with me for mentioning it. Apparently the whole case is rather sensitive so I can't say too much about it and, not only that, I didn't get the story completely correct either. His friend didn't run the agency but he was working with them to secure a position in a certain organisation. Apparently the HR department of this organisation wanted the criteria already mentioned. They were unable to fill the vacancy with with someone from that criteria with the required credentials so they made the position's qualification fit the candidate they wanted. The situation was that the position was never going to be filled by a white male. Apparently the person who got the job was clearly unable to make it work how it was first envisaged. Other than that I can't say anymore.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

The impending disaster posed by the ‘woke’ doesn’t really seem borne out by the recruitment example. How is any of that ‘woke’?

It may or may not be bigotry to seek to employ people based on ethnicity but it is certainly illegal. So, to me, the threat to our way of life from ‘wokeness’ isn’t demonstrated. As I said, I don’t see ‘woke’ as relevant to the example and even if it were it is already against the law .
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:42 am
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:10 pm Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon.
Nail on the head here. The older people get, the more resistant to change and the less adaptable they get. They get used to how things were and don't like it when things become different. We all need to remember that change is neither good, nor bad, it's just different.
If they are knowledgeable and capable then who cares if they are a man or a woman?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

phat_chris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pm
If they are knowledgeable and capable then who cares if they are a man or a woman?
I don't really care that much, but it just seems really obvious sometimes that it's quota filling.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:59 pm
I don't really care that much, but it just seems really obvious sometimes that it's quota filling.
You cared enough to ask why we have women commentators for men's football, and to blame your bogeyman, wokism...

I wonder, do you know the reason for employment quotas?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

phat_chris wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:15 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:59 pm
You cared enough to ask why we have women commentators for men's football, and to blame your bogeyman, wokism...

I wonder, do you know the reason for employment quotas?
Ooh, do please enlighten us. I've been dying to know this for years!!