Men’s football female presenters and pundits

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Men’s football female presenters and pundits

Post by New Forester »

I must train myself not to be irritated but it’s becoming more difficult. Some interesting stuff here:

https://6foot2.co.uk/women-pundits-why- ... it-to-men/
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Men’s football female presenters and pundits

Post by Blue Walter »

New Forester wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:37 pm I must train myself not to be irritated but it’s becoming more difficult. Some interesting stuff here:

https://6foot2.co.uk/women-pundits-why- ... it-to-men/
Well I am glad I am not the only one that gets irritated by this. It's obviously part of the woke agenda by the BBC, and other channels. Not only do they shoe in as many women as possible it is the best time to be someone of colour to get into television at the moment, especially in tv adverts. Before anyone jumps on that for being a racist comment, it is certainly not meant as one. It is just that they make it so obvious what they are doing that I wonder how the people themselves see it. They are given these jobs, not all it has to be said, because they are not white or male. I have no problem listening, or watching, anyone that has an expert or experienced veiw of anything but I think it is devalued when the individual chosen is of a certain gender or race as being the main qualification.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Well that’s at least two of us that see it the way you do, BW.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

3 :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Can I add chubby girls in lingerie commercials and if there's an ad with more than one couple we've gotta go interracial or gay.
On one hand, progress is being made. Take Rebecca Lowe who has been presenting the US prem show for years. Really knows her stuff. On the other hand, some of this carp seems just so forced I find it grating.
Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon.
And again, it's a tough topic....making up for decades of leaving certain people out but to rectify history we need to hire based on race / sex / sexuality.
Back to the original post....I do find the 1 female commentator NBC uses on the many prem games I watch each weekend mildly grating and I cant say I can give y'all a good reason why.
Div III. Call it what it is.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:10 pm Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon.
Nail on the head here. The older people get, the more resistant to change and the less adaptable they get. They get used to how things were and don't like it when things become different. We all need to remember that change is neither good, nor bad, it's just different.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:39 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:10 pm Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon.
Nail on the head here. The older people get, the more resistant to change and the less adaptable they get. They get used to how things were and don't like it when things become different. We all need to remember that change is neither good, nor bad, it's just different.

I disagree with your logic there. Very often the older one gets you can see the folly of youth, other times you would just wish to be younger so you could join in. However, to say that change is neither good or bad but just different is incorrect in my veiw. Just because something is old doesn't necessarily mean it must be bad or wrong. Conversely it would be wrong to think that everything new is good because sometimes the tried and trusted way could well be better.

What we are talking about here is forced change because some people have decided what is best for us all. It was wrong the way some people reacted to the Caribbean immigrants by slamming the door in their faces. It was wrong for white actors to play black people's parts (the black & white minstrels for instance) and wrong to exclude sections of society because of their religion or sexuality. So, if we agree that was wrong then, it is equally wrong with filling parts and jobs because of the colour or gender, like what is happening now. For instance, I was quite keen to watch a series on television that was billed as a docu drama about the life of Anne Boleyn. It was meant to depict historical accuracy except it was aired showing Anne herself as a black lady and the royal Court was largely made up of Asians. Anne Boleyn's father was depicted as of Oriental persuasion. Why?
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

I'm not sexist but.... I'm not racist but.... I'm not a misogynist but... I have had enough of people using 'so called' wokism as as s cover for their unsavoury views.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I think one of the principal tests of old curmudgeoness is when you think todays pop / rock music is carp because, as we all know, our parents thought our music was carp and their parents thought their music was carp. BUT....what if yer right...which I am...and today music IS carp?
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:39 pm
Have to admit I was very lefty at a younger age and as I’ve gotten older I find myself more reactive to change and having an emotion response when I hear new things. Sometimes I don’t even know why 🤣. Change I think generally scares people. There is probably an evolutionary reason for it.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:45 pm I think one of the principal tests of old curmudgeoness is when you think todays pop / rock music is carp because, as we all know, our parents thought our music was carp and their parents thought their music was carp. BUT....what if yer right...which I am...and today music IS carp?
Absolutely kid. New music (post 1984), with a few exceptions, is dire.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Just for balance, I do think the commentator in the West Ham v Scumhapton match today was poor.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:41 pm I'm not sexist but.... I'm not racist but.... I'm not a misogynist but... I have had enough of people using 'so called' wokism as as s cover for their unsavoury views.
And I have had enough of people using woke as a cover for their own biggoted veiws.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

We’ve been round this loop before recently but I see ‘woke’ as self defined by those who use it as a negative term . It seems to be shorthand for ‘progressive views I don’t agree with’

As to bigots using ‘woke’ as cover, examples please BW.