Morecombe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Morecombe

Post by Betelgeuse »

Well they weren't here in this league mostly. Roberts, Stevens, Naismith, Baker.

I think you're very loyal to the ownership, which is up to you of course, but we've gone backwards on the pitch in the last few years. Not enough investment in the team.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:18 am Well they weren't here in this league mostly. Roberts, Stevens, Naismith, Baker.

I think you're very loyal to the ownership, which is up to you of course, but we've gone backwards on the pitch in the last few years. Not enough investment in the team.
why am i loyal to the ownership ? I am a realist, if they had spent what they have on the stadium on players we may well be playing in the championship now, only trouble is no one would be able to watch it as the ground would be shut down on safety reasons
but then again the owners havent spent any money have they
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

They have spent money. But not what I would have expected to make us a challenging side.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:10 am They have spent money. But not what I would have expected to make us a challenging side.
again, if they spent it on the team, you wouldnt be able to watch it because the ground would have been shut.
its quite clear they have released monies to buy players the managers wanted, not all of those have worked out, is that the owners fault??
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

I can't keep having this argument. They bought the club knowing the ground needed sorting. Don't buy a football club the size of Portsmouth if you don't want to invest in the team and the ground. Next season will be interesting.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:00 pm I can't keep having this argument. They bought the club knowing the ground needed sorting. Don't buy a football club the size of Portsmouth if you don't want to invest in the team and the ground. Next season will be interesting.
so why do you keep starting the argument?? they came in saying the club would be run sustainably, and it is
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

They have also said on a number of occasions that the ground has needed more spending on it that they first thought. You can do all the due diligence and surveys you make but sometimes things only get uncovered once you start digging deeper.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Yes I'm aware of that. So we're stuck in league one forever until they decide to release the purse strings. We can't be sustainable with no increased capacity so they either invest as equity in the team or we remain in this league.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:02 am Yes I'm aware of that. So we're stuck in league one forever until they decide to release the purse strings. We can't be sustainable with no increased capacity so they either invest as equity in the team or we remain in this league.
or more likely get relegated :thumb because this team is so bad
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

In my view it’s not necessarily the budget we had for players this season but how it was utilized by Cowley and how his dreadful tactics caused a meltdown after the Plymouth home game and Ipswich away game
Moushino has shown to some degree that with the same players that our points per game(1.78) with him in charge would equate to likely a playoff position (81pounts)
Ok things have slipped recently but still a valid observation
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:44 pm In my view it’s not necessarily the budget we had for players this season but how it was utilized by Cowley and how his dreadful tactics caused a meltdown after the Plymouth home game and Ipswich away game
Moushino has shown to some degree that with the same players that our points per game(1.78) with him in charge would equate to likely a playoff position (81pounts)
well said 55, we had a blip, a big blip which cost the manager his job. had it not been for that blip, early form and kind of current form would suggest we would be contender, so the purse strings not being opened doesnt come into it imho. the managers asked for players, they were given them. they werent utilised, or didnt perform as expected, things changed and they will again over the summer.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Nothing to do with budget then...just bad spending by Cowley.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:34 pm Nothing to do with budget then...just bad spending by Cowley.
Bad spending and total lack of the ability to manage and adjust tactics to suit the opposition
And just look at the waste on players and expensive loans Hume,Walker Koroma Ahadme, giving Hackett a new contract Griffiths Scarlett etc
Hardly good use of the budget
But then you all know my opinion with regard to the PE teacher
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

My veiw is that there are many different factors why we will end up in a mid table finish again. We can blame Cowley, of course, but then he was in charge when we were having our good run early on. Obviously he could not sustain it and we went on a bad run that he couldn't halt, I think he actually panicked which would explain his strange line ups. When Mousinho came in the form changed and we went on another reasonable run and things seemed to have changed. However, the games against Forest Green & Morecombe were reminiscent of the Cowley days. I think it is too early to make judgement of Mousinho being good, bad or no improvement than the previous incumbent.

Clearly we have got some good players for this level. Better players than those teams scrambling around the relegation zone. We have brought in players those teams couldn't afford. It is also clear that we haven't got players as good as those teams competing at the top end. The reason for that is that our club chose not to invest in players that the top teams recruited. Now I am not arguing as to whether or not that is right or wrong but I think that it does show. We now have to wait and see whether Mousinho has a better eye for players than Cowley and whether he can come up with a playing formula that brings more success. And, of course, we have to wait and see what sort of budget he gets to bring in the players that can make the difference.

In the meantime Fratton Park is going through the much needed and overdue overhaul and improvements. That is along with all the other bits and pieces of the infrastructure, again which is well overdue. This is all credit due to the Eisners in making finances available for this work. However, I am at odds with the fact that they have said that they are 'disappointed' that we haven't made at least the play offs. If they had provided a budget that was competitive to other clubs with the same ambition for promotion then I could understand their disappointment. Because they didn't and other clubs did they can't be too surprised or disappointed. They have always said they wouldn't throw money at the playing side and they are good to their word so dissatisfaction as to where we finish in the table is surprising. According to the News there is thought that the owners will give the team more financial backing this summer so it is very much back to the drawing board as far as I can see.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:44 pm In my view it’s not necessarily the budget we had for players this season but how it was utilized by Cowley and how his dreadful tactics caused a meltdown after the Plymouth home game and Ipswich away game
I'm sure I saw something before the weekend's games that said that only Ipswich had taken more points than Pompey since Mousinho had been appointed.

That probably isn't the case now but still suggests the trend is in the right direction.