Shrewsbury

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Shrewsbury

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:41 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:54 pm No idea why people were writing off the chances of the playoffs a month ago when we should be up there in the top 6. Still possible but not looking likely now.
Because some people could see the state of the squad. The "statement win" over Bolton turned out to be a red herring as we couldn't beat any of the other teams above us and we can't beat anyone at the moment. Lack of ability, confidence or ambition from some players.
I would suggest adding lack of interest from many who know they are off in the summer
There has been a total lack of effort and commitment in recent weeks from some who are only playing because of injuries to others
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I would add that the players out of contract pretty much know where they stand no matter what management say about no decisions until the end of the season thus their disinterest
Jaspers ghost
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jaspers ghost »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:36 pm The owners are extremely fortunate that the club they own has such a loyal fanbase. The utter dross that's been served up in their tenure does not deserve home crowds of 18000 and a huge away following. FFS show some ambition next season or sell up.
I know that feeling !
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I was there yesterday. We had no thrust, I can only remember Dale having the ball a couple of times, his legs were taken from him on two of those occasions. On the others he did one clever turn and then lost the ball. I used to think there was a Player there, now I am convinced there`s not! Hackett was a bit more active, but again he turned and came away from his man then he lost it. The ball bobbled to him in the first half in the penalty area but instead of hitting it first time he took a touch and the chance was gone. He needs to go! So we were getting nothing from the wings, we had neither the thrust of Morrell nor Lowery, therefore it was slow motion tick tack. As for the Referees both were useless. Apparently it is now in the rules to push, pull and grab the opposition. As for time wasting, well their Goalkeeper should have had three yellow cards, not one. The final 10 or 15 minutes was how we should have been playing all match. Raggett was pushed up front after the red card and he got very frustrated, showed his displeasure at the Referee and amazingly got a yellow card! A match we should have won, like monday, if we had...............
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I like Raggett. He makes mistakes and has limitations but you know what you get, and he cares. Dale, Tunnicliffe, Hackett, Scarlett all rubbish. Why are we playing Robertson? Tower should be getting valuable experience. JM has cocked up badly the ast few games with selection, tactics and substitutions. The budget needs to be top 4 next season, I believe this is the final chance for the owners to retain the fans support.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am I like Raggett. He makes mistakes and has limitations but you know what you get, and he cares. Dale, Tunnicliffe, Hackett, Scarlett all rubbish. Why are we playing Robertson? Tower should be getting valuable experience. JM has cocked up badly the ast few games with selection, tactics and substitutions. The budget needs to be top 4 next season, I believe this is the final chance for the owners to retain the fans support.
Sorry they damn well know that no matter what happens they will get the season ticket sales as was evident when during the Cowley bad run they sold 500 half season tickets
For every one that doesn’t renew another will replace them, did they not stop season ticket sales this season to keep a percentage for casual fans
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:39 am I was there yesterday. We had no thrust, I can only remember Dale having the ball a couple of times, his legs were taken from him on two of those occasions. On the others he did one clever turn and then lost the ball. I used to think there was a Player there, now I am convinced there`s not! Hackett was a bit more active, but again he turned and came away from his man then he lost it. The ball bobbled to him in the first half in the penalty area but instead of hitting it first time he took a touch and the chance was gone. He needs to go! So we were getting nothing from the wings, we had neither the thrust of Morrell nor Lowery, therefore it was slow motion tick tack. As for the Referees both were useless. Apparently it is now in the rules to push, pull and grab the opposition. As for time wasting, well their Goalkeeper should have had three yellow cards, not one. The final 10 or 15 minutes was how we should have been playing all match. Raggett was pushed up front after the red card and he got very frustrated, showed his displeasure at the Referee and amazingly got a yellow card! A match we should have won, like monday, if we had...............
I looked on the Shrewsbury fans forum and one poster said he wanted the first referee to continue because he was being very good to his team. He said that the ref was unduly hard on Pompey. They also seemed to think that Pompey had given up on the play offs at the way they approached the game and only livend up after we went a goal down.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am I like Raggett. He makes mistakes and has limitations but you know what you get, and he cares. Dale, Tunnicliffe, Hackett, Scarlett all rubbish. Why are we playing Robertson? Tower should be getting valuable experience. JM has cocked up badly the ast few games with selection, tactics and substitutions. The budget needs to be top 4 next season, I believe this is the final chance for the owners to retain the fans support.
Good post and sums up my current feeling, I also agree with the player departures listed except Robertson who I’d keep and cover for ‘Doors’
Last edited by Mickemo on Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am The budget needs to be top 4 next season
Because that's guaranteed to attract the players we need to get us promoted isn't it. Or maybe they'd prefer to go to clubs that have better facilities than us at the moment.

We've got Hughes, Mousinho and Harley so it'll be really interesting to see who they can attract with their contacts. One thing's for sure - fewer loans.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

I'm not sure it's about the facilities. Fratton Park is a traditional ground that is known the world over, especially for it's passionate supporters and bearpit atmosphere.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:42 am I'm not sure it's about the facilities. Fratton Park is a traditional ground that is known the world over, especially for it's passionate supporters and bearpit atmosphere.
They dont actually spend that much time at Fratton Park though.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am The budget needs to be top 4 next season,
your other half must get amazing birthday and christmas presents, you must spend an absolute fortune on her, after all only money makes things right eh
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:04 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am The budget needs to be top 4 next season,
your other half must get amazing birthday and christmas presents, you must spend an absolute fortune on her, after all only money makes things right eh
Well we won't get promotion on the budget we've been used to for the past 6 years. How do you think teams become successful? Mainly money and good management.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:37 am
Well we won't get promotion on the budget we've been used to for the past 6 years. How do you think teams become successful? Mainly money and good management.
I guess.nobody told Leicester it's all about the budget when they won the premier League.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:37 am
Agree with your point about money and good management bringing success - in most seasons in most leagues you can draw a pretty good correlation between playing budgets and finishing position, barring a handful of outliers who overperform or underperform (Plymouth this season for example). Most of those who overperform have both good managers and good player recruitment - at Premier League level Brighton and Brentford are probably the best examples at the moment.

However, we absolutely could have been promoted at some point in the last six years (we've been in the playoffs twice and missed out once on the last day of the season so it's not a massive stretch, other than our inability to ever win a playoff game!)