Shrewsbury

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Shrewsbury

Post by streetrifle »

Its all down to budget, there's no other way to succeed in football. You need the best players and since Mandaric we have continued to under-fund and the consequences are all too clear. These current owners of ours are clearly unable or unwilling to come up with adequate funding to enable us to be truly compelitive with a top 6 squad. Othewise we shall have to limp along, like this season, on a diet of inadequate loans, hasbeens, and injury prones.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:50 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:12 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:48 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:36 pm Do you think we can compete with Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Derby, Barnsley on player acquisition? Of course we can't which is why we have to go for lower grade players. So with this in mind we cannot hope to gain promotion unless the player budget is increased in line with the top teams in this division. The goalposts have moved in recent season due to the size of the clubs coming down, they are prepared to spend more in order to get promoted. Look where we are and have been for the past 3 seasons....outside the playoffs.
AND AGAIN SAME OLD F*****G ARGUMENT THAT YOU SEEM TO NOT BE ABLE TO GRASP THOSE CLUBS HAVENT HAD TO SPEND MILLIONS ON GETTING THE GROUND INTO A STATE THAT WE CAN GO AND WATCH THE GAMES
CHANGE THE RECORD

and no there is no apology for the caps
Plymouth...new stand. Ipswich....ground improvements. **** me can we only do one thing at a time? We're in this division for the foreseeable due to the miserly way the Eisners run the club. If they have no intention of realising the potential of PFC they should have bought Reading instead.
OK I quit, no point arguing with you anymore, no matter what reasonable arguments are put to you all you do is slag the owners off for not spending any money. If you think that citeh are so great because they have spent millions and millions of pounds go support them.
I for one am happy that they are trying to curb the spending and run the club responsibly, so we dont go broke again, but you keep banging your drum, every time anyone mentions anything, that the owners are misers who wont spend a penny
The point I am making is that unless the owners substantially increase the playing budget we will be staying in this division bar a miracle, even more so as bigger clubs are coming down and spending money to get out of it. You seem more than happy to remain in league one, I'm a bit more ambitious than that.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

streetrifle wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:52 pm Its all down to budget, there's no other way to succeed in football. You need the best players and since Mandaric we have continued to under-fund and the consequences are all too clear. These current owners of ours are clearly unable or unwilling to come up with adequate funding to enable us to be truly compelitive with a top 6 squad. Othewise we shall have to limp along, like this season, on a diet of inadequate loans, hasbeens, and injury prones.
Careful, Portchy won't like that reasoning.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Anyone care to predict the financial consequences of a significant increase in spending on players? That’s what the owners have to do.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:39 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:36 pm Do you think we can compete with Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Derby, Barnsley on player acquisition? Of course we can't which is why we have to go for lower grade players. So with this in mind we cannot hope to gain promotion unless the player budget is increased in line with the top teams in this division. The goalposts have moved in recent season due to the size of the clubs coming down, they are prepared to spend more in order to get promoted. Look where we are and have been for the past 3 seasons....outside the playoffs.
AND AGAIN SAME OLD F*****G ARGUMENT THAT YOU SEEM TO NOT BE ABLE TO GRASP THOSE CLUBS HAVENT HAD TO SPEND MILLIONS ON GETTING THE GROUND INTO A STATE THAT WE CAN GO AND WATCH THE GAMES
CHANGE THE RECORD

Plymouth...new stand. Ipswich....ground improvements. **** me can we only do one thing at a time? We're in this division for the foreseeable due to the miserly way the Eisners run the club. If they have no intention of realising the potential of PFC they should have bought Reading instead.
OK I quit, no point arguing with you anymore, no matter what reasonable arguments are put to you all you do is slag the owners off for not spending any money. If you think that citeh are so great because they have spent millions and millions of pounds go support them.
I for one am happy that they are trying to curb the spending and run the club responsibly, so we dont go broke again, but you keep banging your drum, every time anyone mentions anything, that the owners are misers who wont spend a penny
The point I am making is that unless the owners substantially increase the playing budget we will be staying in this division bar a miracle, even more so as bigger clubs are coming down and spending money to get out of it. You seem more than happy to remain in league one, I'm a bit more ambitious than that.
Other than Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland and Ipswich has anyone come down and blown anyone away financially though? None of those have bounced back up at first time of asking either despite throwing money at it.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

We have all analysed to death the comments about ‘going up sustainably’ which implies that the owners will be more proactive when they feel the club is ready. How is that proactiveness likely to manifest itself?
Asking the players to try a bit harder?
Suggesting the manager tries to win more games?

No, we all know it means an increase in funding on the playing side of the club.

So, more funding is likely key, how much is a moot point but arguing that calls for more spending is tantamount to being ready to bankrupt the club is naïve.

What do I want? More investment.

When do I want it? Soon.

How much? Enough!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:06 pm
CHANGE THE RECORD

Other than Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland and Ipswich has anyone come down and blown anyone away financially though? None of those have bounced back up at first time of asking either despite throwing money at it.
Wigan (twice) iirc.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

It seems that Moushino and Hughes have according to the snooze indentified their main targets but can’t do anything before May due to them being under contract so my reading between the lines is they have indentified free agents primarily
Maybe despite management not knowing season ticket take up they have an idea of the potential budget ( we know they take season ticket sales for granted) either that or we are looking at the same old freebies and loans this coming window unless we sell someone to finance buying contracted players from elsewhere again
Guess thats sustainable budgeting
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:00 pm
CHANGE THE RECORD

Wigan (twice) iirc.
Has that worked for them? Haven't they had issues paying wages again this year?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:17 pm It seems that Moushino and Hughes have according to the snooze indentified their main targets but can’t do anything before May due to them being under contract so my reading between the lines is they have indentified free agents primarily
Maybe despite management not knowing season ticket take up they have an idea of the potential budget ( we know they take season ticket sales for granted) either that or we are looking at the same old freebies and loans this coming window unless we sell someone to finance buying contracted players from elsewhere again
strawsweb.jpg
Attachments
image.png
image.png (109.15 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:48 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:17 pm It seems that Moushino and Hughes have according to the snooze indentified their main targets but can’t do anything before May due to them being under contract so my reading between the lines is they have indentified free agents primarily

strawsweb.jpg
Moushino “these players are under contract “
“These discussions can begin at the end of May when you start approaching players out of contract”
That seems to me targets are primarily free agents
If that’s clutching at straws so be it but I really don’t think this window will be any better budget wise than last season just maybe better judgement on how it will be used
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:04 pm

strawsweb.jpg
“These discussions can begin at the end of May when you start approaching players out of contract”
If that’s clutching at straws so be it but I really don’t think this window will be any better budget wise than last season just maybe better judgement on how it will be used
You spend all season moaning about the use of what you believe to be expensive loans, so the budget might not increase, it might be better used, it might increase it might go down. There is absolutely nothing in those quotes that gives any indication of budget or type of transfer.

Every footballer who isn't currently out of contract is under contract - how many clubs do you think would entertain bids from other clubs now? Potentially some who's season is already over?

How would you feel if Pompey were already negotiating about Bishop or Morrell?

Will we be interested in some players who are out of contract? Absolutely, like nearly every other club in this league at the start of next season - does that mean it will be all the business we do? We have spent money every single window under the Eisner's.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:25 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:04 pm

strawsweb.jpg
You spend all season moaning about the use of what you believe to be expensive loans, so the budget might not increase, it might be better used, it might increase it might go down. There is absolutely nothing in those quotes that gives any indication of budget or type of transfer.

Every footballer who isn't currently out of contract is under contract - how many clubs do you think would entertain bids from other clubs now? Potentially some who's season is already over?

How would you feel if Pompey were already negotiating about Bishop or Morrell?

Will we be interested in some players who are out of contract? Absolutely, like nearly every other club in this league at the start of next season - does that mean it will be all the business we do? We have spent money every single window under the Eisner's.
Wrong of our loan players I have only moaned about one throughout this season which was Koroma who I felt was an expensive waste of budget
I’ve not complained about Dale’s inability to cross the ball, the waste leaving Pigott on the bench and only recently Scarlett looking like he has had enough and wants to go back to Spurs
I did object to Griffiths not because of cost but that we had Bass who could have fulfilled the role but Cowley had this obsession with borrowing keepers with potential from other clubs
So please if you want a dig at me read my past posts before suggesting I made comments I did not
And as far as I can see last season we spent money we made from selling players not from increased budget
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:45 pm
CHANGE THE RECORD

Wigan (twice) iirc.
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:45 pm
CHANGE THE RECORD

Wigan (twice) iirc.
Probably not but that wasn't the question!! :D
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:05 pm I agree that our playing budget appears not to have been particularly great in comparison to most of the teams above us. However, I do think it would be a mistake to try and compete with a club like Ipswich who are investing heavily into buying promotion. I don't think we had a top six budget, possibly top ten, but I don't know what other clubs have in their budget anymore than I know ours. What I do know is that we need to bring in the quality that is going to improve our team if the club are serious about promotion, which will mean more playing investment than we have had. I also believe that the club will only be really interested in promotion once they think that the club is ready to step up. Whether or not we are at that stage yet is known only by the club themselves. Optimistically the News seem to think that the owners will plough more financial muscle into this summer's playing budget. Maybe then we would have a genuine top six budget rather than a 'competitive' one.
what are you basing your thinking on Walter ?
as far as I am aware NONE of the clubs in League one have published their budgets, please correct me if I am wrong in this.
If NONE of the clubs have disclosed any sort of budget how the heck do we know if our budget was top 6, top 10 or bottom 4, we wont ever know.

as liverpool and chelsea are proving quite nicely at the moment, you can spend all you want, but if the players dont perform how you expect them too, it matters not if they cost a quid or £100m
You have asked me that question before so I will give you the same answer, I don't know what budgets us or other clubs had. Conversley you can't tell me that we did have a budget that was competitive at the top end of the league because you don't know as well. What I have based my theories on is what we spent on transfers, which appears to be less than what we got for Harness. A team seriously looking for promotion don't sell their best players to a rival. I certainly don't think we should even try to compete with Ipswich, or Sheffield Wednesday for that matter, in that regard.

I suppose my criticism comes from the lack of honesty really. If the club was to have stated that they were happy to stay at this level until the whole club is ready to move on that wouldn't be good for ticket sales. I think a certain amount of 'kidoligy' is at play by saying we are amongst the top spenders in this league, we certainly are nowhere near the bottom, but we were certainly not at the top. In fairness the owners are doing exactly what they said they would do and doing a brilliant long overdue upgrade of the ground. They also said they wouldn't throw money at the team, and they haven't. But to say they are 'disappointed' that it looks very much like we won't make the play offs when they haven't really challenged clubs that will make it into the playoffs in terms of player investment is not honest. They couldn't have expected to be any higher than we are without getting in the players that would do that, and that costs money. As football fans we all hope our clubs over achieves and get disappointed when they don't but then we have no say or imput into the club.