Shrewsbury

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Shrewsbury

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:37 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:04 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am The budget needs to be top 4 next season,
your other half must get amazing birthday and christmas presents, you must spend an absolute fortune on her, after all only money makes things right eh
Well we won't get promotion on the budget we've been used to for the past 6 years. How do you think teams become successful? Mainly money and good management.
and there was me thinking you didnt want to have this argument again and again, and yet at the first opportunity you bring it back to the budget.
As has been discussed to death, the owners ahev made funds available to but players the managers really wanted, Morrell and Pack spring to mind,
the fact the players havent worked out, or the managers tactics havent been what they wanted or needed then that can not be laid at the owners door. If that is the owners fault, then liverpools owners need to pack up, chelseas owners need to pack up too.
money doesnt buy success.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

How are Man City doing?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Do you think we can compete with Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Derby, Barnsley on player acquisition? Of course we can't which is why we have to go for lower grade players. So with this in mind we cannot hope to gain promotion unless the player budget is increased in line with the top teams in this division. The goalposts have moved in recent season due to the size of the clubs coming down, they are prepared to spend more in order to get promoted. Look where we are and have been for the past 3 seasons....outside the playoffs.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:20 pm How are Man City doing?
and do they just buy players willy nilly? do they have a world class manager ?? have their owners put in billions of pounds that they shouldnt have and breached FFP rules ??
What happens when a rich owner who is propping up a club runs out of money?? oh I remember now :thumb
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:36 pm Do you think we can compete with Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Derby, Barnsley on player acquisition? Of course we can't which is why we have to go for lower grade players. So with this in mind we cannot hope to gain promotion unless the player budget is increased in line with the top teams in this division. The goalposts have moved in recent season due to the size of the clubs coming down, they are prepared to spend more in order to get promoted. Look where we are and have been for the past 3 seasons....outside the playoffs.
AND AGAIN SAME OLD F*****G ARGUMENT THAT YOU SEEM TO NOT BE ABLE TO GRASP THOSE CLUBS HAVENT HAD TO SPEND MILLIONS ON GETTING THE GROUND INTO A STATE THAT WE CAN GO AND WATCH THE GAMES
CHANGE THE RECORD

and no there is no apology for the caps
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:36 pm Do you think we can compete with Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Derby, Barnsley on player acquisition? Of course we can't which is why we have to go for lower grade players. So with this in mind we cannot hope to gain promotion unless the player budget is increased in line with the top teams in this division. The goalposts have moved in recent season due to the size of the clubs coming down, they are prepared to spend more in order to get promoted. Look where we are and have been for the past 3 seasons....outside the playoffs.
We can absolutely compete with Barnsley on player aquistion. Derby are under close supervision aren't they? Aren't all their signings freebies and loans?

Wednesday are poised to implode and Ipswich are owned by richer people than us.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:20 pm How are Man City doing?
I don't believe they've won L1 in the last 6 seasons either 😅
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:48 pm
AND AGAIN SAME OLD F*****G ARGUMENT THAT YOU SEEM TO NOT BE ABLE TO GRASP THOSE CLUBS HAVENT HAD TO SPEND MILLIONS ON GETTING THE GROUND INTO A STATE THAT WE CAN GO AND WATCH THE GAMES
CHANGE THE RECORD

Plymouth...new stand. Ipswich....ground improvements. ****** me can we only do one thing at a time? We're in this division for the foreseeable due to the miserly way the Eisners run the club. If they have no intention of realising the potential of PFC they should have bought Reading instead.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:27 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 am The budget needs to be top 4 next season,
your other half must get amazing birthday and christmas presents, you must spend an absolute fortune on her, after all only money makes things right eh
Well we won't get promotion on the budget we've been used to for the past 6 years. How do you think teams become successful? Mainly money and good management.
Agree with your point about money and good management bringing success - in most seasons in most leagues you can draw a pretty good correlation between playing budgets and finishing position, barring a handful of outliers who overperform or underperform (Plymouth this season for example). Most of those who overperform have both good managers and good player recruitment - at Premier League level Brighton and Brentford are probably the best examples at the moment.

However, we absolutely could have been promoted at some point in the last six years (we've been in the playoffs twice and missed out once on the last day of the season so it's not a massive stretch, other than our inability to ever win a playoff game!)

I agree with most of what you say in your well balanced post. I disagree with you on the point of saying we could have got promotion at some point in the last six years. Possibly with the exception of the season we played Plymouth when we were a bit unlucky to make the final. I seem to remember the we had a good goal chalked off for off side, and they were lucky that they didn't have a couple of players sent off in the Fratton game. We also
failed to take advantage of Sunderland being down to ten men up there. In both cases I wondered whether we would have been capable of winning the final. When we have got to that stage I think our lack of quality has shown up, and that includes players and management. I totally agree with your point that generally speaking the clubs who make the play offs or promotion are the ones who have invested more in the playing squad.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:12 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:48 pm
CHANGE THE RECORD

Plymouth...new stand. Ipswich....ground improvements. **** me can we only do one thing at a time? We're in this division for the foreseeable due to the miserly way the Eisners run the club. If they have no intention of realising the potential of PFC they should have bought Reading instead.
OK I quit, no point arguing with you anymore, no matter what reasonable arguments are put to you all you do is slag the owners off for not spending any money. If you think that citeh are so great because they have spent millions and millions of pounds go support them.
I for one am happy that they are trying to curb the spending and run the club responsibly, so we dont go broke again, but you keep banging your drum, every time anyone mentions anything, that the owners are misers who wont spend a penny
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I agree that our playing budget appears not to have been particularly great in comparison to most of the teams above us. However, I do think it would be a mistake to try and compete with a club like Ipswich who are investing heavily into buying promotion. I don't think we had a top six budget, possibly top ten, but I don't know what other clubs have in their budget anymore than I know ours. What I do know is that we need to bring in the quality that is going to improve our team if the club are serious about promotion, which will mean more playing investment than we have had. I also believe that the club will only be really interested in promotion once they think that the club is ready to step up. Whether or not we are at that stage yet is known only by the club themselves. Optimistically the News seem to think that the owners will plough more financial muscle into this summer's playing budget. Maybe then we would have a genuine top six budget rather than a 'competitive' one.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:05 pm I agree that our playing budget appears not to have been particularly great in comparison to most of the teams above us. However, I do think it would be a mistake to try and compete with a club like Ipswich who are investing heavily into buying promotion. I don't think we had a top six budget, possibly top ten, but I don't know what other clubs have in their budget anymore than I know ours. What I do know is that we need to bring in the quality that is going to improve our team if the club are serious about promotion, which will mean more playing investment than we have had. I also believe that the club will only be really interested in promotion once they think that the club is ready to step up. Whether or not we are at that stage yet is known only by the club themselves. Optimistically the News seem to think that the owners will plough more financial muscle into this summer's playing budget. Maybe then we would have a genuine top six budget rather than a 'competitive' one.
what are you basing your thinking on Walter ?
as far as I am aware NONE of the clubs in League one have published their budgets, please correct me if I am wrong in this.
If NONE of the clubs have disclosed any sort of budget how the heck do we know if our budget was top 6, top 10 or bottom 4, we wont ever know.

as liverpool and chelsea are proving quite nicely at the moment, you can spend all you want, but if the players dont perform how you expect them too, it matters not if they cost a quid or £100m
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:45 pm
PeteM wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:27 am
Agree with your point about money and good management bringing success - in most seasons in most leagues you can draw a pretty good correlation between playing budgets and finishing position, barring a handful of outliers who overperform or underperform (Plymouth this season for example). Most of those who overperform have both good managers and good player recruitment - at Premier League level Brighton and Brentford are probably the best examples at the moment.

However, we absolutely could have been promoted at some point in the last six years (we've been in the playoffs twice and missed out once on the last day of the season so it's not a massive stretch, other than our inability to ever win a playoff game!)

I agree with most of what you say in your well balanced post. I disagree with you on the point of saying we could have got promotion at some point in the last six years. Possibly with the exception of the season we played Plymouth when we were a bit unlucky to make the final. I seem to remember the we had a good goal chalked off for off side, and they were lucky that they didn't have a couple of players sent off in the Fratton game. We also
failed to take advantage of Sunderland being down to ten men up there. In both cases I wondered whether we would have been capable of winning the final. When we have got to that stage I think our lack of quality has shown up, and that includes players and management. I totally agree with your point that generally speaking the clubs who make the play offs or promotion are the ones who have invested more in the playing squad.
Thanks BW! I think the Plymouth play-off was in League Two rather than League One (pretty sure it was Sunderland and Oxford we lost to in L1 playoffs). We never really looked like scoring in either leg of the Sunderland game, but the Oxford one was a genuine missed opportunity - if it wasn't for a bizarre own goal we'd have got to the final against Wycombe, with a very real chance of getting promoted.

I never expect us to win any playoff games since my dreams were crushed by Leicester 30 years ago! But my point was more that we weren't a million miles away from getting promoted in either season, even automatically. We were 3 points off 2nd place in the season we lost to Sunderland and the other season was incredibly close before it ended up being decided on points per game due to Covid - Rotherham got automatic promotion having got 2 points more than us when the season was stopped (we lost two of our last five games before the season was stopped - if we'd won one of them we would have gone up).

I actually think there might be a bit more investment in the squad over the summer - but it's as much about how well we recruit as how much we spend (both will have an impact on our performance next season). Also at least a couple of the teams that might come down into the league have serious financial issues and might not be competing to go straight back up (Wigan and Reading especially).
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:05 pm I agree that our playing budget appears not to have been particularly great in comparison to most of the teams above us. However, I do think it would be a mistake to try and compete with a club like Ipswich who are investing heavily into buying promotion. I don't think we had a top six budget, possibly top ten, but I don't know what other clubs have in their budget anymore than I know ours. What I do know is that we need to bring in the quality that is going to improve our team if the club are serious about promotion, which will mean more playing investment than we have had. I also believe that the club will only be really interested in promotion once they think that the club is ready to step up. Whether or not we are at that stage yet is known only by the club themselves. Optimistically the News seem to think that the owners will plough more financial muscle into this summer's playing budget. Maybe then we would have a genuine top six budget rather than a 'competitive' one.
as far as I am aware NONE of the clubs in League one have published their budgets, please correct me if I am wrong in this.
If NONE of the clubs have disclosed any sort of budget how the heck do we know if our budget was top 6, top 10 or bottom 4, we wont ever know.

as liverpool and chelsea are proving quite nicely at the moment, you can spend all you want, but if the players dont perform how you expect them too, it matters not if they cost a quid or £100m
Can't speak for Walter about what his thinking was but I do know the clubs are all aware of what each other's budgets are because the league produces a benchmark document which all the clubs have access to (I presume as part of their financial fair play monitoring), since some clubs have publicly referred to it. I've not been able to find it actually published anywhere but that's probably why you get some comments from chairmen/CEOs saying "we have a top six budget" or "we have a top half but not top six budget".

The Chelsea point is certainly a valid one though - although money helps, it's by no means the only variable.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

PeteM wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:41 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm

Can't speak for Walter about what his thinking was but I do know the clubs are all aware of what each other's budgets are because the league produces a benchmark document which all the clubs have access to (I presume as part of their financial fair play monitoring), since some clubs have publicly referred to it. I've not been able to find it actually published anywhere but that's probably why you get some comments from chairmen/CEOs saying "we have a top six budget" or "we have a top half but not top six budget".

The Chelsea point is certainly a valid one though - although money helps, it's by no means the only variable.

I believe clubs are presented with a ranking effectivly they are position X out of 24. It's as simple as that.