Gary O'Neil and Conor Chaplin

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Gary O'Neil and Conor Chaplin

Post by Blue Walter »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:23 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:17 pm
PeteM wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:28 am
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:12 am As nobody else has, I'll mention the job Gary O is doing at Bournemouth. After a difficult start he's got them playing with real passion and not a little flair. Five wins from their last nine and with games to come against several of the relegation threatened sides (including Saints next week), they're suddenly looking a good bet to stay up (hope I've not just jinxed that!).
I'd second that - especially since Scott Parker left having basically said that his squad wasn't good enough to stay in the league. I think most people expected them to be relegated this season so it would be a great achievement in his first managerial job. Also like that they have really had a go and tried to win games rather than trying not to lose them.
Absolutely 👍🏻
Well done to GoN. Doing a terrific job at Bournemouth and should be a contender for manager of the season. I think his success demonstrates that Scott Parker is over-rated as a manager, something I had suspected for a while. Keep up the good work GoN and I hope his side beat Saints later this month.
Possibly a good advert for a young inexperienced manager getting his first job in management.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:34 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:12 am As nobody else has, I'll mention the job Gary O is doing at Bournemouth. After a difficult start he's got them playing with real passion and not a little flair. Five wins from their last nine and with games to come against several of the relegation threatened sides (including Saints next week), they're suddenly looking a good bet to stay up (hope I've not just jinxed that!).
I'd second that - especially since Scott Parker left having basically said that his squad wasn't good enough to stay in the league. I think most people expected them to be relegated this season so it would be a great achievement in his first managerial job. Also like that they have really had a go and tried to win games rather than trying not to lose them.
Absolutely 👍🏻
Well done to GoN. Doing a terrific job at Bournemouth and should be a contender for manager of the season. I think his success demonstrates that Scott Parker is over-rated as a manager, something I had suspected for a while. Keep up the good work GoN and I hope his side beat Saints later this month.
Possibly a good advert for a young inexperienced manager getting his first job in management.
isnt that what they said about Scott Parker, and frank lampard and steven gerrard :lol:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:02 pm
Absolutely 👍🏻
isnt that what they said about Scott Parker, and frank lampard and steven gerrard :lol:
Add Rooney, Campbell and Neville to the list lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:34 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:02 pm
Absolutely 👍🏻
Add Rooney, Campbell and Neville to the list lol.
OK, should we not sack Mousinho now and save ourselves some grief?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

In my head it’s easier deciding to not get someone in than getting rid of someone relatively newly appointed.

Now we have Jose I’d say he should be given a fair crack. I’m not sure there is too much benefit to getting rid at this stage of the season.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:23 pm Well done to GoN. Doing a terrific job at Bournemouth and should be a contender for manager of the season. I think his success demonstrates that Scott Parker is over-rated as a manager, something I had suspected for a while. Keep up the good work GoN and I hope his side beat Saints later this month.
What the? I wonder what made them sack him today!?
Super Matt Macey in goal...
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

It’s either he’s been a naughty boy or the board felt that could do better with a more experienced coach?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Shame to see him go. I thought he was doing a good job. Wonder what the rationale was? Feel he deserved another season.

I’d have him back in our club in some capacity if I had the chance although imagine he’ll end up going to a championship club next season.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:46 pm It’s either he’s been a naughty boy or the board felt that could do better with a more experienced coach?
It is the latter they have already employed a replacement Andoni Iraola from Spain
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Un****ing believable.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:29 pm Un****ing believable.
And now Darren Moore!
Super Matt Macey in goal...
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Hard on Gary but probably a wise decision. We have often seen the assistant defy the odds, keep the job, then depart by January.
Ole G, Shakespeare etc (our own Andy Awford?).

I have no knowledge of his replacement so it may very well end in tears.

As I say, very harsh on GON.

Owners aren’t very sentimental but then again fans aren’t if a recently relegated team falls out of the top 6.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

StMonkton wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:43 pm Hard on Gary but probably a wise decision. We have often seen the assistant defy the odds, keep the job, then depart by January.
Ole G, Shakespeare etc (our own Andy Awford?).

I have no knowledge of his replacement so it may very well end in tears.

As I say, very harsh on GON.

Owners aren’t very sentimental but then again fans aren’t if a recently relegated team falls out of the top 6.
It's very harsh but he did lose his last 4 games - we have fans calling for managers heads after half a dozen losses... No idea who the new guy is though.
jabba monkey
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jabba monkey »

Real tough one for Gary that - he did a stupendous job last year considering it was his very first managerial job, and how little investment the squad had after promotion from champs.

Certainly wouldn’t have done his career prospects any harm though.

Would love to see him manage Pompey one day - could he give us a few years akin to what Eddie did with Bournemouth? That really would be stuff of dreams…