Johjn Mousinho

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Johjn Mousinho

Post by Betelgeuse »

Having listened to his post match interview I'm far from convinced he's the right man for us. His tactics have been very poor recently and to hear him say we were excellent in the 1st half is worrying. This was one of the worst games I've watched in terms of control and attacking ability. We had no idea how to break down a very poor Oxford side. I really think we should be aiming for a much better quality of manager. I think next season will be much of the same. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see much room for optimism.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Johjn Mousinho

Post by Claygate »

I have been reading similar opinions from other fans on other forums. There does seem to be a trend in terms of the type of coaches / managers appointed by the Eisners i.e. Kenny, the Cowley borthers and JM are all 'nice guys'. None of them strike me as someone who would dare challenge the hierarchy and are more than happy to tow the party line.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by NSRailings »

I wasn't surprised when Cook left as he's not their idea of media friendly.

I'm also concerned about Mousinho. He seems a little out of his depth at the moment. Hopefully he can grow into the job over the summer but we need more inspiration and less bigging up the other team. Next season is very important.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I’ll reserve judgement until I see what he and Hughes do with the squad over the summer as it will then be his team not an inherited team from the Cowleys
Then next season there will no excuse for gutless performances like with seen recently with players in my view having little interest if loans or out of contract
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

There is a real devoid of on pitch leaders.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I’m afraid it’s the same old story we go round in circles appointing a nice guy manager. Then realizing your mistake firing him and ripping up the team he’s built. This will go on for infinitem as we continue to languish in the third tier. I know some will say how do we break this deadlock? Eisner wasn’t wrong appointing a head coach different to the same old suspects that were available at the time. Although in my opinion he should have appointed a top class ex player or assistant coach with a Premier back ground. Examples are GON Kompany, Mc Kenna there several more like them. John Mousinho is a punt which although cheap will cost us dear in the long run.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:08 am There is a real devoid of on pitch leaders.
Agreed, which is why I was surprised you wanted Clark Robertson to stay next season?

Being the Club Captain, he doesn't instill a lot of leadership skills on the pitch or indeed off it. He's injury prone and will be the wrong side of 30 this year. I believe there are better defenders available we can sign in the close season.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:42 am Having listened to his post match interview I'm far from convinced he's the right man for us. His tactics have been very poor recently and to hear him say we were excellent in the 1st half is worrying. This was one of the worst games I've watched in terms of control and attacking ability. We had no idea how to break down a very poor Oxford side. I really think we should be aiming for a much better quality of manager. I think next season will be much of the same. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see much room for optimism.
I actually agree with BG for once. Worlds gone mad 🤣.

Im slightly deflated with the idea we might have yet another “rebuild” season on our hands next year.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Claygate wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:43 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:08 am There is a real devoid of on pitch leaders.
Agreed, which is why I was surprised you wanted Clark Robertson to stay next season?

Being the Club Captain, he doesn't instill a lot of leadership skills on the pitch or indeed off it. He's injury prone and will be the wrong side of 30 this year. I believe there are better defenders available we can sign in the close season.
I think he's a good defender when we can keep him on the pitch. He had that one injury earlier in the season then one niggle when coming back? I think other times he's been dropped.

I'd not be gutted to see him go, I'm just not sure he is as easy to replace as a big lugging centre half.

I don't think he is skipper material though. I've said it most of the season though, when Joe Morrell plays well, we play well. He is always moving, unlike most of the others.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

I know I won’t be very popular on here for saying this but I believe Eisner shouldn’t let JM or his team spend any more money on new players it will be money wasted. I would much rather spend some of that money bringing in a coach that knows what he’s doing and to spend the money wisely. What’s the point on taking a punt on a coach like JM who basically will be taking a punt on new players, he’s had his chance to get the best out of players not admittedly his own. Although not bad players who other clubs would love to have on their books, and certainly should have achieved better results with a more experienced coach who demanded more from them.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:18 pm I know I won’t be very popular on here for saying this but I believe Eisner shouldn’t let JM or his team spend any more money on new players it will be money wasted. I would much rather spend some of that money bringing in a coach that knows what he’s doing and to spend the money wisely. What’s the point on taking a punt on a coach like JM who basically will be taking a punt on new players, he’s had his chance to get the best out of players not admittedly his own. Although not bad players who other clubs would love to have on their books, and certainly should have achieved better results with a more experienced coach who demanded more from them.
So what your saying is sack him? And Hughes?

Would any of the clubs above us love to have our players?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:31 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:18 pm I know I won’t be very popular on here for saying this but I believe Eisner shouldn’t let JM or his team spend any more money on new players it will be money wasted. I would much rather spend some of that money bringing in a coach that knows what he’s doing and to spend the money wisely. What’s the point on taking a punt on a coach like JM who basically will be taking a punt on new players, he’s had his chance to get the best out of players not admittedly his own. Although not bad players who other clubs would love to have on their books, and certainly should have achieved better results with a more experienced coach who demanded more from them.
So what you’re saying is sack him? And Hughes? YES

Would any of the clubs above us love to have our players? In a word YES
[/

I’m sure there are clubs above us that would have a certain number of our players and in fact with the right coach and in the right team they would do well. It’s about getting the right players to gel as a team look what GON has done at Bournemouth they looked a crap team and certainty favourites for relegation before he came along.
Last edited by jam tomorrow on Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- Diane Johnson
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:31 pm
So what your saying is sack him? And Hughes?

Would any of the clubs above us love to have our players?
[/

I’m sure there are clubs above us that would have a certain number of our players and in fact with the right coach and in the right team they would do well. It’s about getting the right players to gel as a team look what GON has done at Bournemouth they looked a crap team and certainty favourites for relegation before he came along. So yes sack JM and Hughes before ripping up the side because we will eventually be back at square one.
-- Diane Johnson
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Just playing devil's advocate here, Mousinho has so far been in charge for 20 games, of which we have lost 4 (to Peterborough away, Plymouth away, Sheffield Wednesday at home and Barnsley away).

There's no doubt that the last four games have been a disappointment and a bit of a missed opportunity, but the real damage was done before he took over. Doesn't seem like a bad enough record that (in my opinion anyway) he doesn't deserve the chance to bring in his own players in the summer and see how he does next season.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

PeteM wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:53 pm Just playing devil's advocate here, Mousinho has so far been in charge for 20 games, of which we have lost 4 (to Peterborough away, Plymouth away, Sheffield Wednesday at home and Barnsley away).

There's no doubt that the last four games have been a disappointment and a bit of a missed opportunity, but the real damage was done before he took over. Doesn't seem like a bad enough record that (in my opinion anyway) he doesn't deserve the chance to bring in his own players in the summer and see how he does next season.
Everyone’s entitled to their opinion Pete that’s why we have this forum and I do hope you’re right because I don’t believe JM will be sacked and he will bring new players in. It’s not our money Eisners spending his but if it were mine I would like to have seen my coach winning these games and getting near the play offs.Maybe JM will come good your giving him the benefit of the doubt Hughes will have a an important role to play. It would seem he has had an input into hiring JM as well so it’s a double whammy if it all goes wrong.
-- Diane Johnson