Hughes in charge of recruitment

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Hughes in charge of recruitment

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

why do we still assume that Hughes goes out and buys these players without the managers agreeing ???
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:53 pm why do we still assume that Hughes goes out and buys these players without the managers agreeing ???
I would think the Head Coach would need to agree as, I assume, he is the one that decides how the team plays. I would think some players are better suited than others in certain team styles. Plus I think that if a player is signed that the head coach doesn't rate he wouldn't play him. Also you would expect that there has to be total harmony amongst the staff who are responsible for recruitment.

I would love to be a fly on the wall if a couple them fell out and weren't taking to each other.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:05 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:53 pm why do we still assume that Hughes goes out and buys these players without the managers agreeing ???
I would think the Head Coach would need to agree as, I assume, he is the one that decides how the team plays. I would think some players are better suited than others in certain team styles. Plus I think that if a player is signed that the head coach doesn't rate he wouldn't play him. Also you would expect that there has to be total harmony amongst the staff who are responsible for recruitment.

I would love to be a fly on the wall if a couple them fell out and weren't taking to each other.
thats eactly how i see it walter, hughes role is to get the players the manager wants, go out negotiate and see which ones he can get into the club, so the manager can concentrate on training and prepariing for matches. What i read into some comments, and i apologise if i am wrong, that hughes goes out identifies a player, signs him and presents him to the manager
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:22 pm

thats eactly how i see it walter, hughes role is to get the players the manager wants, go out negotiate and see which ones he can get into the club, so the manager can concentrate on training and prepariing for matches. What i read into some comments, and i apologise if i am wrong, that hughes goes out identifies a player, signs him and presents him to the manager
I certainly think it’s not as simplistic as Hughes just getting names from Moushino and gets the acquisition sorted, I would think that Moushino indentifies the type/position of the player he wants to meet his playing style then Hughes indentifies potential player’s meeting that need.
I’d assume that then Moushino has the final say on which of those players he would like to have otherwise Hughes is just an HR manager
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Not sure that’s how Hughes sees it. I haven’t checked but I think his comments at the JM press conference talked about establishing a Pompey style of play and building towards and around that.

Sorry I can’t be bothered to dig out the clip.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:32 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:22 pm

I certainly think it’s not as simplistic as Hughes just getting names from Moushino and gets the acquisition sorted, I would think that Moushino indentifies the type/position of the player he wants to meet his playing style then Hughes indentifies potential player’s meeting that need.
I’d assume that then Moushino has the final say on which of those players he would like to have otherwise Hughes is just an HR manager
The recruitment team reports to Hughes.

I suspect it works in a few ways:

Coaching staff say we need a winger - or we need someone like X.
Recruitment team look at their databases, software lists, knowledge and say these players fit the bill.

Another way might be the recruitment team saying player X is having a storming season, or is progressing what do we think about them?

Another way might be, we have been crunching the numbers and we lose 75% of our 50:50 what about having a look at some combative midfielders?

And probably loads of other scenarios beside - hopefully not too many 'George Weah's Cousin' or 'Marco Boogers' type incidents.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

StMonkton wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:17 pm Not sure that’s how Hughes sees it. I haven’t checked but I think his comments at the JM press conference talked about establishing a Pompey style of play and building towards and around that.

Sorry I can’t be bothered to dig out the clip.
A Pompey style of play doesn't have to translate to I decide how we play football though - it was also said their views on how the game should be played aligned.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I wasn’t implying that Hughes decided all this himself, rather that the DOF role would be responsible for continuity over time.
Recruitment would be carried out in the light of this, both players and coaches.

Obviously the DOF and manager need an aligned view.

My main point was that this appears to be a new approach for us and might mean fewer ‘transition’ or ‘clear out’ seasons in future.

Apologies if I didn’t make that clear.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

StMonkton wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:05 pm I wasn’t implying that Hughes decided all this himself, rather that the DOF role would be responsible for continuity over time.
Recruitment would be carried out in the light of this, both players and coaches.

Obviously the DOF and manager need an aligned view.

My main point was that this appears to be a new approach for us and might mean fewer ‘transition’ or ‘clear out’ seasons in future.
I think that's exactly what the intention is and it's been mentioned in interviews that it's a joint approach.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

I thought the point of JM was that his position means he has lots of contacts and rapport with players across the leagues. But we're not going to use this one strength that he actually has. Instead we're going to use a suit to do the bridge building with potential recruits.