Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:36 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:24 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:26 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:23 am Plymouth finished 7th, we were 10th Ipswich 11th.
NO NO NO NO NO that cannot be right.
how did we finish above ipswich, after all they spent big on the playing staff so they must have been way better than us, there is no chance on this earth that a team that doesnt spend the most on players finishes above one that does :thumb
That’s why I don’t like the argument that we should just throw money at problems in general. Yes money will definitely help but if you do throw money at it and it doesn’t work the argument is always “we need to spend more”.

Of course spending lots of money on a team does not guarantee success. It obviously helps and makes the task easier. But, for those using a touch of sarcasm obviously aimed at those who would like to see the club make more money available for team building, I would ask is team building easier done in the bargain basement or with money to spend? Generally the teams at the top of leagues are the ones that have spent most money. Plymouth are one of the exceptions and shows that prudent spending and creative recruitment can succeed. However, if Plymouth go up this season I wonder how they will fare and if they will be able to sustain their position. Other clubs have done it using the cheap option such as Burton and Scunthorpe and look what's happened to the Iron. Blackpool is another example of promotion on a budget but they are perennial strugglers in the Championship. Of course spending more than a club can afford has more catastrophic dangers than mere relegation. Ipswich on the other hand look like they have successfully purchased promotion and I fully expect to see them competing for a place in the Premiership in the near future. As for Sheffield Wednesday I wonder if they have shot their bolt and failure this season could well mean a visit from the debt collectors.

All I really would like is the club to be a little more honest over our future. Saying they want promotion needs to be backed up with deeds. Not cloaking the vision with 'competitive' budgets or talk. They are doing a brilliant job elsewhere with our club but the next step requires more in my veiw. I don't think expecting rabbits to be pulled out of a hat to be successful type of vision. If they want promotion soon does that mean they think the infrastructure rebuild is done, or up to what they want, and now they are going for it? Or does it mean another hopeful punt?
i was being sarcastic because thats all people ever say on here, the owners arent spending enough money and its BS none of us know how much our budget is was will be, and it never will be made public...i hope.
The arguments as to why have been done to death, they have made money available when it has been asked for, Morrel a prime example. If those players, or the way the manager has used them, have not resulted in promotion that is not laid at the owners door for not spending money.
as for the transparancy, it aint ever going to happen, no team in their right mind is going to tell the world how much they have to spend on players are they?? oh hello everyone we need some new players and we have £1m to buy them, we would like to buy your player x for £300k. Erm no sorry he is going to cost £750k now i know how much cash you have to splash

Ipswich on the other hand look like they have successfully purchased promotion and I fully expect to see them competing for a place in the Premiership in the near future. As for Sheffield Wednesday I wonder if they have shot their bolt and failure this season could well mean a visit from the debt collectors. and there is the argument for not throwing money at it. We tried that in the prem and look where we ended up
The reason it went tits up in the Prem was because our owner had his assets frozen.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:36 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:23 am Plymouth finished 7th, we were 10th Ipswich 11th.
how did we finish above ipswich, after all they spent big on the playing staff so they must have been way better than us, there is no chance on this earth that a team that doesnt spend the most on players finishes above one that does :thumb
That’s why I don’t like the argument that we should just throw money at problems in general. Yes money will definitely help but if you do throw money at it and it doesn’t work the argument is always “we need to spend more”.

Of course spending lots of money on a team does not guarantee success. It obviously helps and makes the task easier. But, for those using a touch of sarcasm obviously aimed at those who would like to see the club make more money available for team building, I would ask is team building easier done in the bargain basement or with money to spend? Generally the teams at the top of leagues are the ones that have spent most money. Plymouth are one of the exceptions and shows that prudent spending and creative recruitment can succeed. However, if Plymouth go up this season I wonder how they will fare and if they will be able to sustain their position. Other clubs have done it using the cheap option such as Burton and Scunthorpe and look what's happened to the Iron. Blackpool is another example of promotion on a budget but they are perennial strugglers in the Championship. Of course spending more than a club can afford has more catastrophic dangers than mere relegation. Ipswich on the other hand look like they have successfully purchased promotion and I fully expect to see them competing for a place in the Premiership in the near future. As for Sheffield Wednesday I wonder if they have shot their bolt and failure this season could well mean a visit from the debt collectors.

All I really would like is the club to be a little more honest over our future. Saying they want promotion needs to be backed up with deeds. Not cloaking the vision with 'competitive' budgets or talk. They are doing a brilliant job elsewhere with our club but the next step requires more in my veiw. I don't think expecting rabbits to be pulled out of a hat to be successful type of vision. If they want promotion soon does that mean they think the infrastructure rebuild is done, or up to what they want, and now they are going for it? Or does it mean another hopeful punt?
They've done a half decent job of tarting up the ground while not increasing the capacity. The North Stand replacement won't happen until we're in the Premier League which isn't likely in the next century, so all in all they've pretty much done the bare minimum to protect their asset.
No, they had to do the works to keep the ground open, if they hadnt there would be no crowds in fratton park this season.

but you dont want that argument do you
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:38 pm

i was being sarcastic because thats all people ever say on here, the owners arent spending enough money and its BS none of us know how much our budget is was will be, and it never will be made public...i hope.
The arguments as to why have been done to death, they have made money available when it has been asked for, Morrel a prime example. If those players, or the way the manager has used them, have not resulted in promotion that is not laid at the owners door for not spending money.
as for the transparancy, it aint ever going to happen, no team in their right mind is going to tell the world how much they have to spend on players are they?? oh hello everyone we need some new players and we have £1m to buy them, we would like to buy your player x for £300k. Erm no sorry he is going to cost £750k now i know how much cash you have to splash

Ipswich on the other hand look like they have successfully purchased promotion and I fully expect to see them competing for a place in the Premiership in the near future. As for Sheffield Wednesday I wonder if they have shot their bolt and failure this season could well mean a visit from the debt collectors. and there is the argument for not throwing money at it. We tried that in the prem and look where we ended up
The reason it went tits up in the Prem was because our owner had his assets frozen.
and we had spent beyond our means and were bankrupt, you think that if he hadnt had his assets frozen it could have been sustained ??
and what about the second time we were put in administration, why was that?? oh yeah massive debts we couldnt pay off
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I wasn't talking about transparency on how much the budget is, which is rather obvious. I was talking about where we are with their vision and where we go from this point. I don't know why you assume I was talking about spending the sort spending we were involved in during the Premiership days. Any sane person will know how wrong that was and where it leads to so I suppose, perhaps, you put that in to ridicule my opinion to make yours more sensible. You are right that we don't know what the budgets have been but I would suggest that in most of the last six seasons outing transfers have paid for most of the incoming transfers.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:23 pm

I wasn't talking about transparency on how much the budget is, which is rather obvious. I was talking about where we are with their vision and where we go from this point. I don't know why you assume I was talking about spending the sort spending we were involved in during the Premiership days. Any sane person will know how wrong that was and where it leads to so I suppose, perhaps, you put that in to ridicule my opinion to make yours more sensible. You are right that we don't know what the budgets have been but I would suggest that in most of the last six seasons outing transfers have paid for most of the incoming transfers.
There's no inbetween with Portchy, he thinks you want to bankrupt the club by asking the owners to increase the budget.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:46 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:38 pm

and we had spent beyond our means and were bankrupt, you think that if he hadnt had his assets frozen it could have been sustained ??
and what about the second time we were put in administration, why was that?? oh yeah massive debts we couldnt pay off
How many clubs in the Premier League spend beyond their means? How do you think Newcastle and Man City can maintain their level of spending. Rich owners I'm guessing. Look at Chelsea. Without the owners backing them financially they'd all be broke.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:14 pm

There's no inbetween with Portchy, he thinks you want to bankrupt the club by asking the owners to increase the budget.
Yes, maybe but I find it infuriating when someone who disagrees with you in a debate infers things you never said. Then take it out of proportion in an effort to ridicule your argument. As if you would want your club to publish what they have got spend is in itself ridiculous. Maybe he thinks I am stupid, he could be right on that one I suppose, but I would just like to know what we can expect really and not be taken for granted as a supporter.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:34 pm

Yes, maybe but I find it infuriating when someone who disagrees with you in a debate infers things you never said. Then take it out of proportion in an effort to ridicule your argument. As if you would want your club to publish what they have got spend is in itself ridiculous. Maybe he thinks I am stupid, he could be right on that one I suppose, but I would just like to know what we can expect really and not be taken for granted as a supporter.
Loving the debate here folks. As you were 😀
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Mickemo wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:34 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:34 pm

Loving the debate here folks. As you were 😀

Yes, I can't believe I got sucked into it again. We really have done this subject to death but after reading the sarcastic posts it really annoyed me. It could be called childish really but reacting to it is just as bad. We are never going to agree so it is pointless posting on the subject.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Look where they are this evening!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

New Forester wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:32 pm Look where they are this evening!

Who?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Great entertainment reading this thread. Who says this board is getting too quiet 😂😇
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:21 pm Great entertainment reading this thread. Who says this board is getting too quiet 😂😇
This board is getting too quiet.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

We need new blood!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:33 pm We need new blood!
Agreed. We obviously need new board owners willing to spend beyond our means to bring in the best posting talent. I mean, yes Rubi has put in significant investment to increase the functionality of the board, but where's the investment in the posters? I don't know about everyone else, but the turgid, insipid, dull posting here has me wondering if the regulars will renew next season. Every week is a new worst display. It's time for the owners to make a statement of intent, on the board, not tarting it up behind the scenes. Splash the cash, even if we don't have it, and take this board back where it belongs!