Next Season.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Next Season.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Who do we want to go up? Who do we want to come down?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Next Season.

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey, and scum obviously. Ha ha
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:07 am Pompey, and scum obviously. Ha ha
Haha Brilliant.

What I actually meant, was Barnsley, Wednesday, Bolton, Derby?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

That's a good question. I think I would want Ipswich, obviously, to go up as they are the major financial force in this League and will be contenders next season anyway. Then I think I would want to get Derby out of the way as they will always be a major force. I think I would prefer Barnsley to go up out of the others because they have kept their Championship team in place from last season so if they don't go up this season they will be challenging next season. As for Sheffield Wednesday I think if they don't do it this season they won't be the same force next season due to financial reasons. Plymouth are a bit of a phenomenon in many ways because they are punching above their weight financially and playing wise and I don't think they are sustainable enough to keep their present status going.

I don't really want Reading to come down because I think their finances along with their Championship playing staff will be a force in this league. Although they are in the bottom three a lot of that is down to their points deduction rather than playing merit. The other clubs at the bottom of the Championship will be a force because they will retain a lot of their Championship players but will be severely weakend and clubs like Blackpool, for instance, may not have the same financial muscle.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Reading will be interesting. They have Wigan and Huddersfield as their remaining games who are all at risk of relegation.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:38 am That's a good question. I think I would want Ipswich, obviously, to go up as they are the major financial force in this League and will be contenders next season anyway. Then I think I would want to get Derby out of the way as they will always be a major force. I think I would prefer Barnsley to go up out of the others because they have kept their Championship team in place from last season so if they don't go up this season they will be challenging next season. As for Sheffield Wednesday I think if they don't do it this season they won't be the same force next season due to financial reasons. Plymouth are a bit of a phenomenon in many ways because they are punching above their weight financially and playing wise and I don't think they are sustainable enough to keep their present status going.

I don't really want Reading to come down because I think their finances along with their Championship playing staff will be a force in this league. Although they are in the bottom three a lot of that is down to their points deduction rather than playing merit. The other clubs at the bottom of the Championship will be a force because they will retain a lot of their Championship players but will be severely weakend and clubs like Blackpool, for instance, may not have the same financial muscle.

Barnsley sold most of their players following relegation and replaced them with frees and loans, they also had an awful start to the season.

I think we would be better off with them staying down - I think they will lose Duff to a championship club.

I'd rather Huddersfield stay up, despite it being an easy game for me as I think the more basket cases we can have in the league the better - Rotherham yo-yo because they are stable, just not quite good enough for the championship (until this season) but too good for league one when they are down here, and that's not built on mega bucks either.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

It looks like Ipswich & Plymouth are going the automatic route. I would prefer Wednesday to go up through the `Play Offs`. As for the relegated Championship Teams: Blackpool & Wigan look to be certs. I think Colin has done enough with Huddersfield and I guess Reading will be the third to go down. I am not sure that any of those will be a real threat next season, they all look to have financial issues.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Jaspers ghost
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jaspers ghost »

Not very nice !
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Jaspers ghost wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:07 pm
Not very nice !
Strange response.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:54 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:38 am That's a good question. I think I would want Ipswich, obviously, to go up as they are the major financial force in this League and will be contenders next season anyway. Then I think I would want to get Derby out of the way as they will always be a major force. I think I would prefer Barnsley to go up out of the others because they have kept their Championship team in place from last season so if they don't go up this season they will be challenging next season. As for Sheffield Wednesday I think if they don't do it this season they won't be the same force next season due to financial reasons. Plymouth are a bit of a phenomenon in many ways because they are punching above their weight financially and playing wise and I don't think they are sustainable enough to keep their present status going.

Barnsley sold most of their players following relegation and replaced them with frees and loans, they also had an awful start to the season.

I think we would be better off with them staying down - I think they will lose Duff to a championship club.

I'd rather Huddersfield stay up, despite it being an easy game for me as I think the more basket cases we can have in the league the better - Rotherham yo-yo because they are stable, just not quite good enough for the championship (until this season) but too good for league one when they are down here, and that's not built on mega bucks either.

You are right about Barnsley having a total rebuild and I was wrong in my assertion that they had kept their Championship squad mainly intact. I was going on what a Barnsley supporter had told me last summer where he said that they thought they would have more or less the same squad. As it turns out he got it wrong and 5 of their best players left. They have got a big squad though which does have Championship experience. So I agree that we would be better off them staying down. Reading's points deduction was for infringing the spending rules in respect of income. They have got quite a large debt but they are not in trouble because of it, yet. So I don't know how that will affect them in the transfer situation. If they have sanctions imposed on them they will have to keep their contracted Championship squad which will make them a tougher prospect.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Is this the first time in the history of this board that someone has admitted they were wrong? Well done BW!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Mr Dee wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:18 am Is this the first time in the history of this board that someone has admitted they were wrong? Well done BW!
No, I have had to do it before but thank you.
Jaspers ghost
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jaspers ghost »

Betelgeuse wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:05 am
Not very nice !
Strange response.
Not really given the fact I’m a Saints fan :)
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Jaspers ghost wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:57 pm
Not very nice !
Strange response.
:lol: :lol:
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Jaspers ghost wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:57 pm
Not very nice !
Strange response.
Saints... Fan... Saints? Fan? Saints... Fan? Nope sorry, those two words clearly don't belong together.