Ipswich goal machine

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Maddog56
Martin Kuhl

Re: Ipswich goal machine

Post by Maddog56 »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:12 am The 30 pts comment is a sobering one. I don’t think we should be getting too excited about ‘nearly’ getting in the playoffs.

The playoffs are crap for Pompey and are a poor objective for next season. To me they are a consolation prize for not being good enough to get promoted. As a bonus, you get another shot at going up.

It must be an agonising position to be a Wednesday fan today but that’s the position we must aim for as a minimum rather than being satisfied with ‘contending for the playoffs’.

Too harsh? Unrealistic?

What do you think?

In 92-93 we finished 3rd in the old Division 1 with 88 points, behind West Ham by one goal scored, and lost to Leicester who were 6th with 76 points. They lost to Swindon in the final who also finished on 76. We had finished the season with a fantastic run too, but Walsh & Butters were both suspended after losing to Sunderland.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Maddog56 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:45 pm
StMonkton wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:12 am The 30 pts comment is a sobering one. I don’t think we should be getting too excited about ‘nearly’ getting in the playoffs.

The playoffs are crap for Pompey and are a poor objective for next season. To me they are a consolation prize for not being good enough to get promoted. As a bonus, you get another shot at going up.

It must be an agonising position to be a Wednesday fan today but that’s the position we must aim for as a minimum rather than being satisfied with ‘contending for the playoffs’.

Too harsh? Unrealistic?

What do you think?

In 92-93 we finished 3rd in the old Division 1 with 88 points, behind West Ham by one goal scored, and lost to Leicester who were 6th with 76 points. They lost to Swindon in the final who also finished on 76. We had finished the season with a fantastic run too, but Walsh & Butters were both suspended after losing to Sunderland.
Both sent off against Sunderland, if my memory serves me correctly.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I’ve tried to erase that playoff memory over the years.

The home leg was memorable for an ‘offside’ goal by Ian Ormandroyd I think. He was the tallest player in the league so goodness knows how the officials missed him.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:50 pm I’ve tried to erase that playoff memory over the years.

The home leg was memorable for an ‘offside’ goal by Ian Ormandroyd I think. He was the tallest player in the league so goodness knows how the officials missed him.
Miles offside!

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

What is amazing is that the commentator (Barry Davies?) didn't even mention the clear offside.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

What I can't understand is why there aren't any blue and red lines across the pitch?

Perhaps that's why he got away with it because the lino didn't see any lines?? :smt003
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Commentator was Brian Moore I think. An ITV effort with Jim Rosenthal doing the intro .

Surely even VAR would have seen that one?