Ipswich goal machine

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Ipswich goal machine

Post by RubiconCSL »

99 goals for, 33 against, with one to play. 99 goals - we can but dream. Chaplin not doing too bad either.

Now with our unbeaten run, are we close to a decent team for next year? An extra goal here and there, and who knows? Or am I way off?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times

Re: Ipswich goal machine

Post by eltorrro »

Way, way off I'm afraid!! We need at least 10 good new players and hope Mousinho comes good as well.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:13 pm Way, way off I'm afraid!! We need at least 10 good new players and hope Mousinho comes good as well.
Exactly. We could do with Ipswich's budget aswell
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times

Post by eltorrro »

It would be good to have the two Ipswich goal machines, Hirst and Chaplin as well.

Oh! wait a minute...didn't we once have............................!! :roll:
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

I don't think you're way off Rubi.

We need some more quality in the final third, more creativity and another goalscorer to support Bishop. Curtis might have helped contribute towards those things had he not got injured.

I don't think trying to blend together 10 new signings good enough to start is likely to get the outcome we want, 4 or 5 good signings who add genuine quality and take us to the next level would be fine. We don't need to rip it up and completely start again (we've only conceded 17 goals in Mousinho's 22 games, and only lost 4 of them). What we do clearly need is additional cutting edge to break down sides who put men behind the ball.

Obviously we need to hope Mousinho comes good but he hasn't done too badly so far. Interested to see how he does with a full pre-season and new signings - and even whether he plays the same brand of football when he has different players to choose from.

Pleased for Chaplin, hope he does well in the Championship next season. Also pleased for Plymouth, who have shown what can be done with a limited budget and good management/recruitment.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:51 pm It would be good to have the two Ipswich goal machines, Hirst and Chaplin as well.

Oh! wait a minute...didn't we once have............................!! :roll:
The same George Hirst who has scored 5 goals this season? Absolute goal machine :lol:
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

We've lost only 10 games this season, less than Barnsley, Bolton and Derby. If we could just convert a few more draws to wins, we are easily top 6, surely?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Sawbo Blue wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:10 pm We've lost only 10 games this season, less than Barnsley, Bolton and Derby. If we could just convert a few more draws to wins, we are easily top 6, surely?
But drawn too many and not won enough.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

The frustrating thing for me is that I think we have good players for League One. Obviously what has been missing is the creation of chances and neither manager thi's season has solved that problem. I also think the team has been changed round too many times. But I also think both Jackett & Cowley failed to get the best out of the team and that has been a major factor why we haven't been successful. I don't think Mousinho has not got the best out of the team yet either but it is early days for him. I wonder whether he is just waiting for the season to end so he can put his mark on the team and that is why we have seen little or no improvement.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Here's a rather disturbing FACT though. The teams that will get automatic promotion will have a 30 pt lead over us.

30 pts is a lot of ground to be making up and a lot of improvement needed.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:12 pm Here's a rather disturbing FACT though. The teams that will get automatic promotion will have a 30 pt lead over us.

It wouldn't be 30 points if we beat them!
Claygate
Alan Knight

Post by Claygate »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:16 pm
Sawbo Blue wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:10 pm We've lost only 10 games this season, less than Barnsley, Bolton and Derby. If we could just convert a few more draws to wins, we are easily top 6, surely?
But drawn too many and not won enough.
Agreed, but the problem is a lot of the draws could have been losses and not just wins!
Claygate
Alan Knight

Post by Claygate »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:12 pm Here's a rather disturbing FACT though. The teams that will get automatic promotion will have a 30 pt lead over us.

Sheffield Wednesday could end up with 96 points and amazingly that might not be enough for automatic promotion. I have not checked, but that must be a record points haul for not going up automatically?
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

The 30 pts comment is a sobering one. I don’t think we should be getting too excited about ‘nearly’ getting in the playoffs.

The playoffs are crap for Pompey and are a poor objective for next season. To me they are a consolation prize for not being good enough to get promoted. As a bonus, you get another shot at going up.

It must be an agonising position to be a Wednesday fan today but that’s the position we must aim for as a minimum rather than being satisfied with ‘contending for the playoffs’.

Too harsh? Unrealistic?

What do you think?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:12 am The 30 pts comment is a sobering one. I don’t think we should be getting too excited about ‘nearly’ getting in the playoffs.

The playoffs are crap for Pompey and are a poor objective for next season. To me they are a consolation prize for not being good enough to get promoted. As a bonus, you get another shot at going up.

It must be an agonising position to be a Wednesday fan today but that’s the position we must aim for as a minimum rather than being satisfied with ‘contending for the playoffs’.

Too harsh? Unrealistic?

What do you think?
I think you should aim to win whatever league your in every season, but I do think making the play offs can be an achievement, for example of your bottom at Xmas and make the play offs.

I think making the play offs this year for us would have been an achievement given the way the season went, and also the money some of the others have spent.

For Wednesday though, the play offs is a disaster.