iFollow

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: iFollow

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:35 pm I live three hours away. I try and get to as many games as I can but it’s just not practical.

The idea either eltorro or myself are not “real fans” isn’t fair. Just as it wouldn’t be fair for me to criticise the Fratton faithful for not attending any away games I can easily get to.

If the cobblers get promoted this season it’s a 5 minute walk for me. I’m not going to chastise the fan base if we don’t sell our allotment because I appreciate other people have commitments that makes it prohibitively difficult for them to attend.

The only home game I got to this year was against Stevenage in the cup and the stadium was virtually empty! Again I’m not going to criticise those on the board who decided not too attend. I went to a cup game many years ago against Coventry when we’d had heavy snow. Again was virtually empty but I’m not going to suggest those who didn’t want to risk the snow aren’t “real fans”.
I was not criticizing real fans maybe it came across wrong I was criticizing the deal that in my opinion is purely aimed at people who want to watch a game of football without any club allegiance which is what this deal caters for
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

1. Overseas are basically unaffected by this deal according to the FAQ.

2. You cannot use Ifollow for viewing games in the UK for 3pm Saturday kick offs.

3. What are you on about we will not get more money? The deal is worth 25% more to league one and two clubs than the existing deal.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:29 pm
I'd rather by at the game, but when you live 5 hours away from Fratton Park that's not possible on a regular basis - still people that don't live within pissing distance of Fratton aren't real fans.

You want the club to spend more money, so it agrees a deal to bring in more money. You can't have your cake and eat it.
For your information...my first Pompey game was aged 5; I am now 78 so think I have done my bit in supporting my home town FC.
I only don't go to live matches any more because I live in Spain..quite expensive and time consuming from here!!
In the long run, will it bring in more money? Not so sure about that..could just be Sky creating more of a monopoly and creating more income for themselves.
Anyway, it is what it is and I will make my decision accordingly. What's not clear is what thousands of other fans will do??
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:06 pm 1. Overseas are basically unaffected by this deal according to the FAQ.

2. You cannot use Ifollow for viewing games in the UK for 3pm Saturday kick offs.

3. What are you on about we will not get more money? The deal is worth 25% more to league one and two clubs than the existing deal.
You are way wrong. Currently I can watch ALL Pompey games using iFollow (except those broadcast live by Sky).
The 'new' deal will only allow me to watch those Pompey games 'chosen' by Sky to transmit; possibly 10 matches of 50+ they will play in the season. Work your sums correctly and the 'new' monies for Lge 1 & 2 will not be much more than it was previously!!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

eltorrro wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:16 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:06 pm 1. Overseas are basically unaffected by this deal according to the FAQ.

You are way wrong. Currently I can watch ALL Pompey games using iFollow (except those broadcast live by Sky).
The 'new' deal will only allow me to watch those Pompey games 'chosen' by Sky to transmit; possibly 10 matches of 50+ they will play in the season. Work your sums correctly and the 'new' monies for Lge 1 & 2 will not be much more than it was previously!!
I feel the money side is a moot point anyway. If everyone gets more money then relatively speaking no one gains an advantage.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:16 pm

I know you can watch all be games on ifollow. Which people in the UK can't and if you read the quote I put in the post you will see that it states it's unaffected for overseas people - but that would require you to read what I posted.

So again
CHANGES TO CURRENT WAYS OF WATCHING
Will matches still be available to watch via iFollow, or Clubs’ alternative streaming services?

From the 2024/25 season onward, this new deal with Sky Sports will effectively replace the EFL’s domestic video streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services
Audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences.
Taken from the EFL website.
https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-a ... agreement/

As long as your alright hey..
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:09 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:29 pm
I'd rather by at the game, but when you live 5 hours away from Fratton Park that's not possible on a regular basis - still people that don't live within pissing distance of Fratton aren't real fans.

You want the club to spend more money, so it agrees a deal to bring in more money. You can't have your cake and eat it.
For your information...my first Pompey game was aged 5; I am now 78 so think I have done my bit in supporting my home town FC.
I only don't go to live matches any more because I live in Spain..quite expensive and time consuming from here!!
In the long run, will it bring in more money? Not so sure about that..could just be Sky creating more of a monopoly and creating more income for themselves.
Anyway, it is what it is and I will make my decision accordingly. What's not clear is what thousands of other fans will do??
If it wasn't going to bring in more.money do you not think that at least 1 club might have voted against it?!
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Do you have to practice at being an ignorant prat or does it come naturally?

As it states..'this new deal with Sky Sports will effectively replace the EFL’s domestic video streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services'.

Does that not say that iFollow will be discontinued? So it will affect those viewers, won't it!!

Try reading messages properly before you savage people.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:05 pm Do you have to practice at being an ignorant prat or does it come naturally?

As it states..'this new deal with Sky Sports will effectively replace the EFL’s domestic video streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services'.

Does that not say that iFollow will be discontinued? So it will affect those viewers, won't it!!

Since when was Spain in ****** England?! You do not use a domestic ifollow account of you did you wouldn't be able to watch every ****** game!

There are no streaming rights to anyone in the UK e.g. ifollow. The only games you can currently stream in the UK via I follow are the games which are all gurenteed to be shown under the new year e.g. midweek and bank holidays.

So if I wanted to watch a game on ifollow in the UK now I pay £10 to watch a midweek game, in future I will watch it on sky or one of their platforms, or not watch it at all. You carry on as normal.
Domestic Streaming

From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL’s domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.

It's really not that complicated.
Last edited by Pompey1984+1 on Sat May 06, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

eltorrro wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:05 pm Do you have to practice at being an ignorant prat or does it come naturally?

Hey eltorro. While you guys are tearing strips out of each other let me try and work it out as a 3rd party.

I read the above as the EFL will not be continuing using I follow for streaming games in the UK for domestic streaming.

Ifollow is a private company so there is nothing to stop the EFL still using them for international audiences.

That’s my take on it anyway. I do feel the article could explain it more clearly.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:28 pm

Hey eltorro. While you guys are tearing strips out of each other let me try and work it out as a 3rd party.

I read the above as the EFL will not be continuing using I follow for streaming games in the UK for domestic streaming.

Ifollow is a private company so there is nothing to stop the EFL still using them for international audiences.

That’s my take on it anyway. I do feel the article could explain it more clearly.
Thanks Sam..maybe you are correct with your take, hope so and yes, the article could have been clearer.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I know the 25% increase quoted but that doesn’t make sense if the new deal is a 50% increase overall but our share reduces from 18 to 12% that’s a 50% drop in the share of a deal offering a 50% increase ie nothing
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:52 am

I know the 25% increase quoted but that doesn’t make sense if the new deal is a 50% increase overall but our share reduces from 18 to 12% that’s a 50% drop in the share of a deal offering a 50% increase ie nothing
That's how I read it and only Championship and Sky come out with a better deal??
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

As '84+1 says - nothing changes for overseas viewers and UK can still stream audibly via iFollow. I guess you'll need to have a Sky sub already to watch the selected games in the UK? I'd prefer to continue paying one-off's as and when.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

I wonder if UK viewers could get access to all games via the international ifollow by using a VPN