Transfer Window: How many will Pompey Sign on Wednesday?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Melbourne Graham
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Transfer Window: How many will Pompey Sign on Wednesday?

Post by Melbourne Graham »

I read somewhere that Barnard wa being looked at for a right sided wing back or midfield ?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:16 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:09 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:00 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:33 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 pm Conor Shaughnessy signed free transfer from Burton Centre back
Saw that BBC Solent saying it’s a done deal he seems to be useful however 26 years old and only 126 games hope he’s not another injury prone player
Also right sided centre back so where does that leave the interest in Bernard as surely we don’t need both plus Raggett in that position
I think Towler and Raggett are left sided centre backs and Mousinho wants two right sided centre backs: Conor Shaughnessy would be the 2nd of these if Barnard signs and would presumably be an option as first choice centre half if he didn't.

I see he's 6'4" and can also play centre midfield . I think it is helpful to have some height for set pieces and his versatility in position is helpful too if (Barnard signs and) he is going to be a regular player for the subs bench.
With respect I’m sorry that’s not the case Raggett is a right sided centre back thus why when Bernard played the later games he was not played
Last season we started with Raggett right Robertson Left Centre
Then it’s was Towler/Raggett or Towler/Bernard later in the season as Robertson was injured
Until Mousinho and Towler arrived Raggett played most of his games for Pompey from the left side of the centre half pairings. The start of last season the back two pairing was Morrison and Raggett. Even when Robertson returned from injury Raggett kept the left hand side and Robertson played left back. I get that he is right footed and that he can play on the right side too but he's played most of his career as a right footed left sided centre half.

When Morrison left in Jan he moved over to the right hand side firstly since he can and Robertson can't....and also because Barnard was getting up to speed and overcoming injury. When Towler started Raggs moved over again to accommodate him because he could. Raggs was out of the side when Barnard and Towler were both fit and up to speed because he is 30 years of age and developing younger more technically gifted players is now the direction of travel for Pompey
I understand the development of younger players is the planned way for but this signing of someone who seems to be an established 26 year old journeyman league one player seems not to be the case here.Would seem to be a squad player not any better than we have now I hope this isn’t going to be the type of signing we can expect through this window
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:56 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 pm Conor Shaughnessy signed free transfer from Burton Centre back
Saw that BBC Solent saying it’s a done deal he seems to be useful however 26 years old and only 126 games hope he’s not another injury prone player
Also right sided centre back so where does that leave the interest in Bernard as surely we don’t need both plus Raggett in that position
I think Towler and Raggett are left sided centre backs and Mousinho wants two right sided centre backs: Conor Shaughnessy would be the 2nd of these if Barnard signs and would presumably be an option as first choice centre half if he didn't.

I see he's 6'4" and can also play centre midfield . I think it is helpful to have some height for set pieces and his versatility in position is helpful too if (Barnard signs and) he is going to be a regular player for the subs bench.
With respect I’m sorry that’s not the case Raggett is a right sided centre back thus why when Bernard played the later games he was not played
Then it’s was Towler/Raggett or Towler/Bernard later in the season as Robertson was injured
Until Mousinho and Towler arrived Raggett played most of his games for Pompey from the left side of the centre half pairings. The start of last season the back two pairing was Morrison and Raggett. Even when Robertson returned from injury Raggett kept the left hand side and Robertson played left back. I get that he is right footed and that he can play on the right side too but he's played most of his career as a right footed left sided centre half.

When Morrison left in Jan he moved over to the right hand side firstly since he can and Robertson can't....and also because Barnard was getting up to speed and overcoming injury. When Towler started Raggs moved over again to accommodate him because he could. Raggs was out of the side when Barnard and Towler were both fit and up to speed because he is 30 years of age and developing younger more technically gifted players is now the direction of travel for Pompey
I understand the development of younger players is the planned way for but this signing of someone who seems to be an established 26 year old journeyman league one player seems not to be the case here. Would seem to be a squad player not any better than we have now I hope this isn’t going to be the type of signing we can expect through this window
I don't recall having seen him play so I will reserve judgment until I do. I'm ok though with Pompey signing a player - even if it is for squad depth - when that player has the upside to become a consistent first team player in case we don't land our no.1 target in their position or in the event of injury, and they are only 26yo and a few years ago were starting for Leeds in the Championship.

I understand your concern but we need to sign 9/10 players to build a squad and sometimes you have to sign the back up before you can sign the starter.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Does the transfer window fly open? Because when it closes it always 'slams shut' according to the media.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Norris Signs:

One signing in on the first day of the Transfer Window. And a permanent signing. Positive start
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:02 am

I understand the development of younger players is the planned way for but this signing of someone who seems to be an established 26 year old journeyman league one player seems not to be the case here. Would seem to be a squad player not any better than we have now I hope this isn’t going to be the type of signing we can expect through this window
I don't recall having seen him play so I will reserve judgment until I do. I'm ok though with Pompey signing a player - even if it is for squad depth - when that player has the upside to become a consistent first team player in case we don't land our no.1 target in their position or in the event of injury, and they are only 26yo and a few years ago were starting for Leeds in the Championship.

I understand your concern but we need to sign 9/10 players to build a squad and sometimes you have to sign the back up before you can sign the starter.
To be fair as mentioned when you basically have to build a new squad we cannot afford to fork out fees for every player I'm hoping incoming players will be a mixture of free agents together with players we have signed for a fee. However I would have liked us to have started this transfer campaign with a notable signing which underlined our ambition and intent to get the promotion we are aiming for.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

One signed (Norris). One more today maybe?
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I too think they will approach this as a mix of free signings and players signed for a fee. I don't mind what order they come in, I just want the club to get the permanent signings they want in as early as possible.

I think it really helps Pompey to sign the keeper(s) they need early before pre-season starts so that he can build a rapport with the 'back four' as quickly as possible. Build from the back is never a bad way to go.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I’ve said it before but the first 5 games of the season carry the same points as the last 5. Getting the squad ready early is highly desirable in my book.

The keeper and defence point is well made. I may be mis remembering but I think Chelsea early in the new regime signed Marcel Desailly the day before the season started. He made a couple of errors in the first match, which they lost, possibly against Coventry.

He was outstanding for the rest of the season but I think they lost the league by 2 points.

Keep the signings coming .
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I understand the development of younger players is the planned way for but this signing of someone who seems to be an established 26 year old journeyman league one player seems not to be the case here.Would seem to be a squad player not any better than we have now I hope this isn’t going to be the type of signing we can expect through this window
To be fair the club have said all along that their strategy is a blend of youth and experience. I think one of the things we saw last year is we didn't have enough quality depth in the squad.

I know they are different positions but we have so far shipped out a 25 year old with not many appearances for a fee, for a 26 year old with many more appearances for free.

8 or 9 more to go...
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/202 ... y-signing/

Shaughnessy confirmed: So that's two signed on opening day. Is there a third?

RHF departed today too.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Apparently there is a third too!!

Christian Saydee signs on a 3 year deal. At this rate we will have a full squad by the weekend. Wow, I seem to remember Cowley and Co were really slow out of the blocks last year and it was making a lot of people nervous.

Hughes and Mousinho are motoring: Four deals completed on the opening day with RFH sold to Lincoln.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Saydee is the sort of player we would have loaned last season on the basis of his age and experience. This is where our strategy has changed hopefully nothing but good will come from it?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Is this not a clear indication that the new recruitment strategy is working in that they had clearly identified their targets early and moved to sign their targets as soon as possible
I think and hope that this will continue over the coming weeks
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

All these signings are important but the one I am looking forward to getting in the most is THE ATTACKING MIDFIELDER we desperately need !!!
-- Diane Johnson