We're in advanced talks to sign Burnley goalkeeper Will Norris on a free transfer

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

We're in advanced talks to sign Burnley goalkeeper Will Norris on a free transfer

Post by Selsey Bill »

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... ll-norris/

Portsmouth are in advanced talks to sign Burnley goalkeeper Will Norris on a free transfer, sources have told Football Insider.

Norris, 29, is leaving Burnley later this month when his contract at Turf Moor expires and a number of clubs have shown an interest in signing the goalkeeper on a free transfer.

Portsmouth have moved quickly to try and set up a deal for Norris as they look to bolster their goalkeeping options ahead of next season.

Former Wolves keeper Norris made just three first-team appearances during his time at Turf Moor and spent the second half of last season out on loan at Peterborough.

Norris spent three years with Wolves and spent the last year on loan at Ipswich Town before making the permanent move to Burnley.

During his time at Molineux, the keeper made eight first team appearances and kept six clean sheets in those outings.

The shot-stopper made 24 appearances during his loan spell at Peterborough this season and kept 11 clean sheets across those matches.

Burnley will be looking to strengthen this summer as Vincent Kompany takes his first crack at the Premier League as a manager, with Norris one of the names heading out the door.

Goalkeeper Matt Macey has returned to Luton Town following a loan spell at Pompey for the second half of the season and the club are looking for reinforcements despite the arrival of Joshua Oluwayemi from Tottenham last summer.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Re: We're in advanced talks to sign Burnley goalkeeper Will Norris on a free transfer

Post by Selsey Bill »

Looks decent, and think it would be good to actually have our own keeper
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: We're in advanced talks to sign Burnley goalkeeper Will Norris on a free transfer

Post by Pompey55 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:09 pm Looks decent, and think it would be good to actually have our own keeper
I would guess if this is true then Macey will not be coming as neither would want to be second choice on the bench
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

According to Posh fans they blame Norris for letting in some of the five goals during the play offs. However could be argued he helped get them there.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

His uncle chuck can divide by zero.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think:

(a) the club want to sign two GKs this off-season for the first team. Both capable of playing as the no.1 keeper/shirt so that they have depth in the 1st team squad and also then this would allow them to loan out Stewart (local non-league or L2) and Oluwayemi (to L2 at least) for experience;

(b) it doesn't hurt in negotiations if Macey is still a key target for Pompey to be linked or even sign another free agent GK;

(c) much depends on how much money Luton want for Macey. I think Pompey are willing to pay a small fee (up to £100k) for him but if Luton are looking for say double that then Pompey are better served no using precious transfer kitty money on a keeper when someone almost as good is available on a free and then using the money instead to buy/sign creative players in attacking areas.

(d) re: Posh fans and their game vs Sheff Wed. I need to go back and watch the game but I doubt very much that all of Wed's goals were keeper errors. If Norris was good enough to start for Peterborough when they went on a great run up the table in the 2nd half of the season - and there was no mention from the the fans about Norris being a liability then - then that is good enough for me to consider Norris to be an above average L1 keeper with experience of the league we are playing in last year. I didn't rate Griffiths particularly highly but West Brom called him back and made them their no.1 keeper in the Championship so it is probably at least about the quality of the defence set up in front of you as the keeper's skill level itself.

(e) this is probably just 'paper talk'. Pompey need to sign a couple of keepers and Norris is available. 1+1= click bait.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:16 pm
(e) this is probably just 'paper talk'. Pompey need to sign a couple of keepers and Norris is available. 1+1= click bait.
I don't think it is. Pretty much everything Pete O'Rourke tweets actually happens - probably the most 'in the know' guy out there
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:38 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:16 pm
I don't think it is. Pretty much everything Pete O'Rourke tweets actually happens - probably the most 'in the know' guy out there
Apprently all the real gossip went down in the Milton End bogs.