Ashes Cricket

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Ashes Cricket

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:48 am After Day Four things looking better for the Aussies 136 for no wicket chasing 384 to win
now 175 for 3
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

New Forester wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:55 am Having watched so much of the match so far I think Australia will win the series by 3-1. They have a stronger all round side. Perhaps the critical difference is the spinner. I hope I’m wrong!
I was wrong!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Steve Smith? The luckiest innings In the series.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Well well well.

England win the Test Match by 49 runs Stuart Broad takes the final two Australian wickets

Australia fall from 264 for 3 wickets to 334 all out
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
jabba monkey
Martin Kuhl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jabba monkey »

What a fantastic series!!

Broad’s little vudoo trick with the bails was great to watch.

Australia did a fantastic job to retain the urn, especially as when all is said and done they lost 3-2!

One hell of a second half from England..
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Probably the best home Ashes Series in the twenty-odd years I have been attending England cricket matches. From start to finish I had no clue as to who was going to win. Fairytale ending for Stuart Broad. Last ball hit as a batter, a six. Last bowling spell, two wickets to draw the series.
The Bandana and bail switching will go down in history.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

I was stone cold certain the England would win on the final day. Batting was simple on the fourth day. No help from wicket or air. No side would have survived to score the runs required on the last day from the England attack. Unless they had incredible luck, like Smith. I simply was sure we would see sudden clusters, just like it happened. The commentators like Ponting spoke rubbish.
This England side are now the best side in the world. Ben Stokes and Brendan McCullum are simply brilliant. The will take test cricket to a new level.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

New Forester wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:19 pm I was stone cold certain the England would win on the final day. Batting was simple on the fourth day. No help from wicket or air. No side would have survived to score the runs required on the last day from the England attack. Unless they had incredible luck, like Smith. I simply was sure we would see sudden clusters, just like it happened. The commentators like Ponting spoke rubbish.
This England side are now the best side in the world. Ben Stokes and Brendan McCullum are simply brilliant. The will take test cricket to a new level.
Amazing series, England should've won the ashes. If the weather had held @ OT & if some somewhat dubious decision making in the 1st 2 tests hadn't happened they would've.
However far too early to claim best in the world status, India will be a massive test. Top 3 yes. But England in the next year or 2 are going to have to do without not just Broad but probably Anderson. Its going to be a tall order.
Pontin-best pundit imo. If you're referring to the ball change controversy then suggest you have a look @ Michael Vaughan's comments. The old ball should've been replaced with one that was firmer. The ball England got was very shiny compared to the old ball which was soft & very dull. Pontin wanted the umpires to be rebuked, not England.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Fair enough. To best the current World champs over 5 matches is good enough a case at present. Nothing ever stays the same for long so lets just enjoy the sport.