Ashes Cricket

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Ashes Cricket

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

After a day of firsts with "Bazball" baffling the Aussies England scoring at 5 runs per over, then declaring when another 40 or 50 runs were possible. Warner did not want to face Broad and he stuttered to 9 not out. Then this morning without adding to his score he deflected a ball from Broad onto his stumps and next ball Labuschagne sends the ball into Bairstow`s gloves for a Golden Duck. 29 for Two
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Ashes Cricket

Post by StMonkton »

Now Stokes removes Smith!

I think Australia thought the new England approach was just about hitting boundaries so set a field to negate that. The essence of the regime is about being aggressive and pushing on quickly. So in the event England managed to power on with singles and a few boundaries.

It always looks risky to me but so far the results are spectacular.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

78 for three at Lunch
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

I have just finished a Don Bradman biography. His record was remarkable. 4 runs short of a Test average of 100. And he scored at an incredible strike rate in many innings. He was way ahead of any batsmen in the history of the game. That said …..
Not a good day for England. Much grumbling about the selection of Bairstow on social media. And about Stoke’s declaration. Some critical mistakes in the field. But it’s not over yet.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

England declared far too early and should have carried on scoring. After yesterday’s play it’s heading for a draw.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
jabba monkey
Martin Kuhl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jabba monkey »

Still all to play for I think, sure, we missed chances yesterday - but at least the chances were created. On another day we could have bowled them out or very close to it.

Certainly bodes we’ll for the series. Agree the declaration seems a bit reckless now - but at the time if we had taken a couple of wickets everyone would have called it genius.

Plus - maybe being in bat overnight led to the early wickets yesterday? We will never know for sure - one of the beauties of test cricket 😊
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Overall the Aussies had the better of the days play. Lets see what happens today?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Australia all out for 386 First Innings lead for England a massive 7 runs

Lost their last 4 wickets for 14 runs from 21 balls
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I don’t think I’ve watched the ashes since 2005. I find the five tests very difficult to commit to. Do you all watch every ball of every innings or just dip in and out? Five tests... 25 days... seems a big commitment lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

I usually just keep an eye on the score and watch only at critical stages. This time I watched all the play of both first innings. Then started watching on the resumption of play when England were 27 for no wicket. Saw 2 wickets go down in ten minutes before rain stopped play again. I hope there’s no more play today. My nerves need a rest.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Play abandoned for the day England 28 for two
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Having watched so much of the match so far I think Australia will win the series by 3-1. They have a stronger all round side. Perhaps the critical difference is the spinner. I hope I’m wrong!
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

The things I do for my country. Just popped £20 on Australia to win. Might just tip it in England's favour.!
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

New Forester wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:42 pm The things I do for my country. Just popped £20 on Australia to win. Might just tip it in England's favour.!
Ye, of little faith.
Glued to TMS while I work, then running to TV to watch replays. The best Test I've listened to for years. I've got tickets for Day 3 at Headingley, if its like this Test then I'll feel really chuffed.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Maddog56
Martin Kuhl

Post by Maddog56 »

Possibly one of the greatest test matches. How often can you remember England being positive & the Aussies negative?