Ashes Cricket

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Ashes Cricket

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Australia win by two wickets
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

I wonder what lessons we learned. Team selection for the next test will be interesting.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Love the positivity from England. Brave declaration that would have worked had some dropped catches (Bairstow), unfortunate outs (Brook) and no balls (Broad) been different. In the end the England total was 50 runs short - but as you say "What a Match" Bring it on for a rollercoaster Summer
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Not much between the Teams, going to be an interesting series
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Morning after the night before. What a brilliant game it was. For the first time in years I watched just about every ball instead of hiding behind the sofa. So many memorable passages of play, special incidents and some great individual performances. In the end caution defeated risk taking but it could so easily have gone the other way. Cummins innings was simply brilliant. His two sixes close to the end probably won the game for his side. He was aggressive at just the right time.
I have just finished a Bradman biography. Oh that we had someone like him around now - playing for England. His record was unbelievable. He not only got his centuries, doubles and trebles but often scored them at a rate the top 20/20 players could not hope to match.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

New Forester wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:55 am Having watched so much of the match so far I think Australia will win the series by 3-1. They have a stronger all round side. Perhaps the critical difference is the spinner. I hope I’m wrong!

😫😫😫
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I suspect today was pretty much the day when we lost the series. Can't see us coming back from 2-0
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:28 pm I suspect today was pretty much the day when we lost the series. Can't see us coming back from 2-0
Yeah, although the pivotal session was probably the final one yesterday - if we'd ended the day something like 300-2 things might have been very different today. So frustrating, since we've been ahead in both matches so far but we might well end up losing both.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Thrown it away it would seem, but is it not difficult to acknowledge that they are better than Us!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

At Stumps England are 114 for four after being 45 for 4 over 250 to get to win this Test Match
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

0-2 tomorrow and no way back, 1-4 if we are lucky
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

I doubt any batsman could have avoided dismissal by the balls that removed Pope and Brook.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Amazing last day Stokes top scored with 155, Bairstow given out when the cheating Wicketkeeper threw the stumps down after Bairstow assumed it was a dead ball! left a bad taste in the mouth, but we knew the Aussies would sell their Grannies to win
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:26 pm Amazing last day Stokes top scored with 155, Bairstow given out when the cheating Wicketkeeper threw the stumps down after Bairstow assumed it was a dead ball! left a bad taste in the mouth, but we knew the Aussies would sell their Grannies to win
It was not cheating otherwise the umpire would have given it not out
Yes it leaves a bad taste, it’s gamesmanship it’s playing to win but not cheating, it’s the same as running someone out for backing up without warning them but that’s happened a few times as well
It’s the equivalent in my views of playing to the whistle in football or diving to win a penalty.Bairstow was at fault not understanding the actual rules of the game
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

No, cheating is using sandpaper on the ball like Smith and Warner did previously :lol:

While it was technically within the rules and correctly given out under the laws of the game, it was very poor sportsmanship and I personally wouldn't have wanted England to win like that. Having said that, all bets are off for the next game now! Good luck to any Aussies fielding in front of the Western Terrace at Headingley on Thursday. . .