Signing number 6!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Signing number 6!

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:46 pm Before we signed Linvoy on a free he had made 90 ish appearances for Reading over 3 years - hardly inspiring... But look what happened there.
Some really good posts and comments in this thread but the one above was best so far in my opinion. I genuinely believe 'some' of the new signings could evolve or spark in to life and fans will be singing their names. I am sure that will be the case.

I know we can all be a confrontational lot in here, especially on politics, but I am sure that (apart from the occasional friend from down the M27) we are all in agreement on the fact we want Pompey to do well. That said, even our approach to Pompey doing well seems to create conflicts.

My approach is always a positive one until proved otherwise. I trust the staff at our club to make better and more informed decisions than any single one of us could. If that makes me a 'Happy clapper', 'too easily pleased' or rose-coloured spectacle wearing' then so be it. I don't understand 'some' of the immediate negativity I see in here. Is it so you can downplay your hopes so you won't feel as hurt if it goes wrong? Is it like betting on the other side as a way to either win a bet or have 3 points for our team? Is it something else? I don't always get it.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:01 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:46 pm Before we signed Linvoy on a free he had made 90 ish appearances for Reading over 3 years - hardly inspiring... But look what happened there.
Some really good posts and comments in this thread but the one above was best so far in my opinion. I genuinely believe 'some' of the new signings could evolve or spark in to life and fans will be singing their names. I am sure that will be the case.

I know we can all be a confrontational lot in here, especially on politics, but I am sure that (apart from the occasional friend from down the M27) we are all in agreement on the fact we want Pompey to do well. That said, even our approach to Pompey doing well seems to create conflicts.

My approach is always a positive one until proved otherwise. I trust the staff at our club to make better and more informed decisions than any single one of us could. If that makes me a 'Happy clapper', 'too easily pleased' or rose-coloured spectacle wearing' then so be it. I don't understand 'some' of the immediate negativity I see in here. Is it so you can downplay your hopes so you won't feel as hurt if it goes wrong? Is it like betting on the other side as a way to either win a bet or have 3 points for our team? Is it something else? I don't always get it.

Yes there plenty of examples such as Linroy Primus, both at Pompey & football clubs throughout our country. There are also plenty of examples of players who did not have much pedigree, or experience, who came to Pompey and showed why they hadn't done particularly well in their careers. I would say that most players who haven't showed much before the mid twenties will not go on and be star players. There again there are exceptions with players like Vardy, for instance. Mousinho may have the midas touch and turn average players into star performers, but we don't know that yet. Some people seem to think it's nailed on that he is going to be some sort of wonder worker, which he may, but thats for us to find out.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:18 am
Pompey55 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:13 am
Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:50 am
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 pm ffs so much for a promotion chasing team so we now have recruited a journeyman defensive midfield player who Hughes brought to Forest Green
Just what we really need
Moushino “we want to add more goals and assists to his game” good luck with that according to Wikipedia he has a scored 9 goals in his career
This suggests Morrell is going as why else sign this guy
So currently we have signed a decent keeper, 2 young players for the future so squad players, a journeyman central defender who is “versatile” and a pretty average left footed winger plus this waste of space
I can understand your point of view. I think this is a fair point about how you'd like to see a few more signings that excite. I have a legitimate question though which is: does your opinion change substantially if the next three signings for example are: D'shon Barnard (free), Gavin Whyte (free) and Tommy Leigh (Accrington)?
If we sign players of that caliber then yes it’s totally different as in my view apart from the keeper and Scully I see all the other 4 as non starting squad players if we continue to play one striker and nothing better than the players we finished with last season
Fair. I am expecting Whyte and Barnard as the next two signings and at least one of these before Monday. Get ready for your happy dance
How about a 'Should Have Known Better Than To Believe What Some People Write On Here' dance?