Signing number 6!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Signing number 6!

Post by FatBlueAde »

Apparently Ben Stevenson from Forest Green Rovers midfielder 26 2 year contract. Reported on a few sites, no main headline to link to yet.
Living in exile thinking Blue
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Signing number 6!

Post by FatBlueAde »

Fans seem to rate him

Living in exile thinking Blue
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

ffs so much for a promotion chasing team so we now have recruited a journeyman defensive midfield player who Hughes brought to Forest Green
Just what we really need
Moushino “we want to add more goals and assists to his game” good luck with that according to Wikipedia he has a scored 9 goals in his career
This suggests Morrell is going as why else sign this guy
So currently we have signed a decent keeper, 2 young players for the future so squad players, a journeyman central defender who is “versatile” and a pretty average left footed winger plus this waste of space
Last edited by Pompey55 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Replacement in the squad for Louis Thompson, perhaps?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 pm ffs so much for a promotion chasing team so we now have recruited a journeyman defensive midfield player who Hughes brought to Forest Green
Just what we really need
Moushino “we want to add more goals and assists to his game” good luck with that according to Wikipedia he has a scored 9 goals in his career
So currently we have signed a decent keeper, 2 young players for the future so squad players, a journeyman central defender who is “versatile” and a pretty average left footed winger plus this waste of space
I really don't want to pick a fight, and was in two minds about responding to your post, but why on earth are you always so bl**dy negative?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:09 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 pm ffs so much for a promotion chasing team so we now have recruited a journeyman defensive midfield player who Hughes brought to Forest Green
Just what we really need
I really don't want to pick a fight, and was in two minds about responding to your post, but why on earth are you always so bl**dy negative?
Because the signings so far so are in no way an improvement on players we had last season and in my opinion show no sign that we have a competitive budget this year
I always look into players past statistics and playing history before commenting and this guy quite frankly is bang average and that’s being generous
Maybe I’m being negative but so far not a single signing we have made cries out we want promotion
What I see is another season of consolidation let’s just avoid relegation but challenge if possible for a playoff position
My view is that the owners are taking the ****** if that’s starting an argument then so be it
I will anyway having renewed our season tickets still be there supporting the team come what may
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

Right with you 55. This is not a promotion squad we're building.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:19 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:09 pm
Just what we really need
Because the signings so far so are in no way an improvement on players we had last season and in my opinion show no sign that we have a competitive budget this year
I always look into players past statistics and playing history before commenting and this guy quite frankly is bang average and that’s being generous
Maybe I’m being negative but so far not a single signing we have made cries out we want promotion
What I see is another season of consolidation let’s just avoid relegation but challenge if possible for a playoff position
My view is that the owners are taking the ****** if that’s starting an argument then so be it
I will anyway having renewed our season tickets still be there supporting the team come what may
on the more positive side: 26yo player signed on a free. 2 year deal on reasonable wages you'd think coming from Forest Green. Has had success in the past in a very good Coventry side winning the EFL Trophy in 2016/17 and had 48 appearances for Coventry 2015-2018 before being bought by Wolves. Didn't get an opportunity with Wolves but had a few loans where he played well. Eventually ended up at Forest Green where he became a first choice midfielder and was promoted with them as L2 Champions in 2021/22. He had shirt number 7 at Forest Green last year and was a first team regular for them.

The signing may not ignite the fan base into raptures of joy but given that injuries and suspensions happen (Lowery and Morrell looking at you in particular) and sometimes a player might need to come out of the starting xi to freshen up the energy levels when the team is playing Sat,Tues, Sat (Pack for example) then it is probably not a bad idea to get in a ( 6ft tall ) player who has experience at L1 level already who can plug and play anywhere in central midfield. Versatile player to have on the bench therefore. Louis Thompson has left so the depth behind Lowery, Morrell and Pack is only two 19yo inexperienced youngsters in Devlin and Jewitt-White.

Another couple of positives - this is not a loan player and his reputation is for being a strong leader and influence in the dressing room and on the training pitch. Perhaps this is something that is a need. Look at the way Liverpool players have been quick to say how much Milner helped them off the pitch in terms of setting the standard and being a leader ...even if he was not always a player in the starting eleven at Anfield. If the signing is linked to this leadership type role then it makes even more sense to get the signing done before pre-season training starts (on Monday 26th June).

I think Hughes and Mousinho are trying to build a squad of players that fit what they want and clearly Ben Stevenson is a known quantity to Hughes on and off the pitch. Not every signing can be a 20 goal/assist machine. It will take a squad of 22 or so to get this club promoted.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

FatBlueAde wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:42 pm Fans seem to rate him

Let's read what the FGR supporters say:

"Unreal player for us @benstevenson31 one of my favourite players at FGR for a long time"

"cheers Ben you’ve been brilliant for us since joining ! 💚massive part of our success"

"Thank you for everything Ben. What a player. Best of luck wherever you go, unless it’s Cheltenham."

"Underrated hero. All the best champ"

Let's hope he fits in and does well.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'd be getting a bit worried if I was Marlon Pack.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Just what we really need
Who are the two young players for the future? Devlin and Saydee, forgot about Saydee.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I must admit I am not overly excited by our signings so far but then, at League One level, most signings are not particularly well known players. I admit that I don't know anything about the players we have signed other than what I have read about them once they have signed. I look on the fans forum sites where they come from and to see how their supporters see the loss of their player. Devlin attracted the biggest outpouring of regret, although resigning themselves to losing a player of his quality for the level they compete at. We beat several other league clubs, apparently,

to signing him so maybe one for the future or even the present and looks a good signing. Scully attracted a sort of shrugged shoulder response from Wigan supporters, although several mentioned his previous good record at this level and thought he was worth keeping. Shaughnessy leaving was met with a certain amount of regret but then Burton aren't exactly a brilliant side anyway. Obviously we needed a keeper so Norris seems to fit the bill if not exactly spectacular. I liked what I saw of Saydee when he was here last time but Shrewsbury supporters don't seem to think they have really dipped out by not signing him after his loan with them. I know nothing about Ben Stevenson who has come from another far from spectacular team.

So I agree that on paper we don't seem to be making the sort of signings that I, and others, expected. Maybe the more eye opening signings are still to come but, according to Mousinho, we are looking at bringing maybe 3 or 4 more players. We'll we have just got another one in so that’s now maybe 2 or 3 so we are running out of places for places that will get people more excited and looking more like a genuine promotion contenders. At the moment we look more like a squad of bog standard League One players.

On the plus side this present regime has brought in some good players with Lane and Towler looking like good deals. So their record suggests they can find gems. Also, so far, we haven't had to sell our best players to finance those that have come in, which inflated our 'competitive' budget the last couple of seasons. Also, again so far, we don't seem to be reliant on loans and acting as a nursery for 'bigger' clubs.

I am still to be convinced that we are building a promotion team and so far the squad has the look of an average League One team.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

There is a good deal.of negativity here. Far better a solid, L1 level player, on low wages, than some kid on loan from a London club, who costs much more, who isn't physically equipped to play competitive football and thinks he is doing us a favour.

It looks like we are trying to build of squad of more motivated players to get us out of this league, with some who could progress further.

I think Morrell will now be sold and we'll get Tommy Leigh in. Maybe him being a local kid with a good goal scoring record might please more of you. Morrell is a good player, but is too often not available, was a Cowley signing and we need bigger, stronger players. Lowery and Morrell in midfield is a bit of a liability in this league.

Keep the faith. It isn't all about spending money and we've had far too many examples of that over recent years. Hume being the latest.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:12 am There is a good deal.of negativity here. Far better a solid, L1 level player, on low wages, than some kid on loan from a London club, who costs much more, who isn't physically equipped to play competitive football and thinks he is doing us a favour.

It looks like we are trying to build of squad of more motivated players to get us out of this league, with some who could progress further.

I think Morrell will now be sold and we'll get Tommy Leigh in. Maybe him being a local kid with a good goal scoring record might please more of you. Morrell is a good player, but is too often not available, was a Cowley signing and we need bigger, stronger players. Lowery and Morrell in midfield is a bit of a liability in this league.

Keep the faith. It isn't all about spending money and we've had far too many examples of that over recent years. Hume being the latest.

I don't think the club plan to sell Morrell because I think Mousinho sees him as the creative player we have been missing for years. Mousinho has mentioned that he wants to see Morrell further forward with less defensive responsibilities. I have hoped we would be bringing in this type of player who can unlock defences with intelligent passes. I expected this sort of player would be more expensive but one we definitely need and whether or not Morrell can be that player I don't know. Judging by the players that have come in up to now and what Mousinho has said he wants it would seem the type of player I was hoping to see will not be coming. If the club do sell Morrell, or any of our best players, I think it will show that the club are not as serious about promotion that they said they were. In my opinion we need to keep our best players and add to that quality if we are to progress. I don't think Morell is for sale and I expect him to stay at the club for next season.