Signing number 6!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Signing number 6!

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:19 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:09 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 pm ffs so much for a promotion chasing team so we now have recruited a journeyman defensive midfield player who Hughes brought to Forest Green
Just what we really need
Moushino “we want to add more goals and assists to his game” good luck with that according to Wikipedia he has a scored 9 goals in his career
This suggests Morrell is going as why else sign this guy
So currently we have signed a decent keeper, 2 young players for the future so squad players, a journeyman central defender who is “versatile” and a pretty average left footed winger plus this waste of space
I really don't want to pick a fight, and was in two minds about responding to your post, but why on earth are you always so bl**dy negative?
Because the signings so far so are in no way an improvement on players we had last season and in my opinion show no sign that we have a competitive budget this year
I always look into players past statistics and playing history before commenting and this guy quite frankly is bang average and that’s being generous
Maybe I’m being negative but so far not a single signing we have made cries out we want promotion
What I see is another season of consolidation let’s just avoid relegation but challenge if possible for a playoff position
My view is that the owners are taking the ****** if that’s starting an argument then so be it
I will anyway having renewed our season tickets still be there supporting the team come what may
What is it with fans these days that they write a player off before they have seen him even kick a ball? Let's just wait and see. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:49 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:19 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:09 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 pm ffs so much for a promotion chasing team so we now have recruited a journeyman defensive midfield player who Hughes brought to Forest Green
Just what we really need
Moushino “we want to add more goals and assists to his game” good luck with that according to Wikipedia he has a scored 9 goals in his career
So currently we have signed a decent keeper, 2 young players for the future so squad players, a journeyman central defender who is “versatile” and a pretty average left footed winger plus this waste of space
I really don't want to pick a fight, and was in two minds about responding to your post, but why on earth are you always so bl**dy negative?
Because the signings so far so are in no way an improvement on players we had last season and in my opinion show no sign that we have a competitive budget this year
I always look into players past statistics and playing history before commenting and this guy quite frankly is bang average and that’s being generous
Maybe I’m being negative but so far not a single signing we have made cries out we want promotion
What I see is another season of consolidation let’s just avoid relegation but challenge if possible for a playoff position
My view is that the owners are taking the ****** if that’s starting an argument then so be it
I will anyway having renewed our season tickets still be there supporting the team come what may
What is it with fans these days that they write a player off before they have seen him even kick a ball? Let's just wait and see. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Precisely
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Porchy, you have done it again. You said that I blamed the managers and systems for Marquis's lack of success, which I did, but you conveniently left out that I said that as it turned out he wasn't that good anyway. I never said that qe have been turned into relegation fodder either. By all means disagree with me but do it fairly.

I don't even know why I am even responding to your post to be quite honest because I don't particularly disagree with you on the subject of these new players. I have already said that it may that Mousinho may turn these players into a decent team . I have already acknowledged that in Devlin it represents a possible gem several other clubs thought so too. I also acknowledged that Saydee could turn out to be a great signing as to Scully might be rejuvenated by his move here. We needed a keeper anyway so job done there.

Where we do disagree is that I have been underwhelmed so far as I was hoping to see players of pedigree arriving. Although you didn't answer my question I assume you are excited about the new arrivals. Whereas I wanted players coming in that were better than what we have you are quite happy with our arrivals. Whichever way I have never said they were rubbish because they could turn out to be great, I don't know. Who does knows, apart from you and a couple of others.
[/quote]

But i dont think that does anything to disprove the point Walter, he came as a name, a proven goalscorer, we were all excited and it just didnt happen for him.
yes i am excited by the signings, not because of who they are, but because for once we are making permanent signings very early in the window, which means that these players have been identified by the management team as players they want to make into a team. We have tended to get players in late in the window, and they may well have been original targets but getting them that late just never helped.
A lot of players at this level slide along under the radar for opposition fans, like stevenson, I wouldnt have put him down as a standout player for FG, but yet their fans think he did a fantastic job for them, so he cant be that bad, can he? if you think how much we put most of our players down, most fans do that, so for him to be thought of as good must be a good sign ??

I wait to see if the mous can mould a good teamout of these players, but I have a completely open mind at this point. Other than being ever hopeful that this is the season
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:11 pm Porchy, you have done it again. You said that I blamed the managers and systems for Marquis's lack of success, which I did, but you conveniently left out that I said that as it turned out he wasn't that good anyway. I never said that qe have been turned into relegation fodder either. By all means disagree with me but do it fairly.

I don't even know why I am even responding to your post to be quite honest because I don't particularly disagree with you on the subject of these new players. I have already said that it may that Mousinho may turn these players into a decent team . I have already acknowledged that in Devlin it represents a possible gem several other clubs thought so too. I also acknowledged that Saydee could turn out to be a great signing as to Scully might be rejuvenated by his move here. We needed a keeper anyway so job done there.

Where we do disagree is that I have been underwhelmed so far as I was hoping to see players of pedigree arriving. Although you didn't answer my question I assume you are excited about the new arrivals. Whereas I wanted players coming in that were better than what we have you are quite happy with our arrivals. Whichever way I have never said they were rubbish because they could turn out to be great, I don't know. Who does knows, apart from you and a couple of others.

But i dont think that does anything to disprove the point Walter, he came as a name, a proven goalscorer, we were all excited and it just didnt happen for him.
yes i am excited by the signings, not because of who they are, but because for once we are making permanent signings very early in the window, which means that these players have been identified by the management team as players they want to make into a team. We have tended to get players in late in the window, and they may well have been original targets but getting them that late just never helped.
A lot of players at this level slide along under the radar for opposition fans, like stevenson, I wouldnt have put him down as a standout player for FG, but yet their fans think he did a fantastic job for them, so he cant be that bad, can he? if you think how much we put most of our players down, most fans do that, so for him to be thought of as good must be a good sign ??

I wait to see if the mous can mould a good teamout of these players, but I have a completely open mind at this point. Other than being ever hopeful that this is the season
[/quote]

I wasn't going to comment anymore on this subject as I am not particularly in disagreement with most posters on this subject, but I think your post deserves a reply.

I fully agree with you that 'names' don't guarantee a good return and, very often, 'non named' players turn out to be gems. We don't know how good Mousinho is yet as this is his first season as a Head Coach. Last season was a bit of a learning curve for him and he was really just sitting in and winding the season down. He nearly got us into the Play Offs but he knew, as we did also, that the team he inherited wasn't ready for that and we were by no means ready for the Championship. Glimpses of optimism with some of the signings he and Hughes made with brining in Macey, Lane & Towler. Good signings by the looks of it which bodes well with future signings, hopefully.

I don't share your excitement with all our signings, as I may have mentioned, but I am looking forward to see how young Devlin turns out. Possibly less so with Saydee as he has had some experience at our level and not exactly set the world on fire. As you say Mousinho may be the man that turns him into a good player, but I did like the look of him when he was here before so I am hopeful.

Apart from the keeper the others are average League One players in my opinion but will, no doubt, fit in to Mousinho squad. You are saying that, if I may presume, Mousinho will make them into more than average. I, on the other hand, hope that will be the case and he can do that. There is a difference between hoping and knowing as you no doubt know. Mousinho has started out well, in my veiw, but the test is time and traumas that will be the proof.

So while I don't think the signings of Scully, Shaughnessy and Stevenson are rubbish, or that the players are rubbish, I am still a tad disappointed that we haven't brought players of pedigree yet. We may well do but at present I am underwhelmed.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I totally agree. The approach looks professional for once.

Cautiously optimistic but of course events on the pitch are the real objective.

PUP.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Think it's more about signing players who fit the system that the club want to play, with the right physical and mental characteristics for the long slog of a L1 season. Looks like they are acting quickly to get the foundations in early. Not worried about price tags or names, I would prefer us not to end up with expensive Championship has-beens. Don't recall Plymouth making waves on the transfer market last summer, wonder if their fans were getting irate this time last year?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I think the expression that has been used relates to Christmas. “ We’ve had the stocking fillers, now we expect the main presents”. I believe these include Leigh, Whyte and Bernard. It will be very interesting to see if they arrive in my opinion we need those players or the same quality to have a realistic chance of promotion.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:37 pm I think the expression that has been used relates to Christmas. “ We’ve had the stocking fillers, now we expect the main presents”. I believe these include Leigh, Whyte and Bernard. It will be very interesting to see if they arrive in my opinion we need those players or the same quality to have a realistic chance of promotion.
If Tommy Leigh didn't have the Pompey link would anyone know or care about him?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:03 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:37 pm I think the expression that has been used relates to Christmas. “ We’ve had the stocking fillers, now we expect the main presents”. I believe these include Leigh, Whyte and Bernard. It will be very interesting to see if they arrive in my opinion we need those players or the same quality to have a realistic chance of promotion.
Obviously some do because he’s linked with Preston too!
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Just what we really need
I’m shocked Pompey55! You’ve called our new signing that you’ve prob never/rarely seen play a waste of space….with fans like you who needs enemies!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:03 pm
Oddly enough I tend to agree with you on this occasion. I have looked at his stats and, apparently, one of his weaknesses is his passing ability and assists record. This is not an overwhelming statistic for a midfield player where our need is creativity. His goal scoring is not bad but not particularly good so I am wondering what the attraction is, other than his local connection. I would bracket Leigh in the same way as some of our other signings by being not very inspiring and coming from a not too successful team.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Okay BW your putting the potential signing of Leigh in the category of stocking filler. If that’s the case Preston can have him hopefully Hughes has bigger fish to fry. Maybe this would explain why we haven’t gone in for him earlier?
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:33 am Okay BW your putting the potential signing of Leigh in the category of stocking filler. If that’s the case Preston can have him hopefully Hughes has bigger fish to fry. Maybe this would explain why we haven’t gone in for him earlier?
Quite possibly. I would hope there is bigger and better presents to come. I would see Bernard as mains.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:17 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:33 am Okay BW your putting the potential signing of Leigh in the category of stocking filler. If that’s the case Preston can have him hopefully Hughes has bigger fish to fry. Maybe this would explain why we haven’t gone in for him earlier?
Quite possibly. I would hope there is bigger and better presents to come. I would see Bernard as mains.
We definitely need another centre back that is comfortable on the ball like Bernard.
-- Diane Johnson
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Our sixth signing comes highly recommended by Michael Doyle
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man