Number Eight

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Number Eight

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Number Eight

Post by Pompey55 »

I think he will be a good addition to the team in particular with his record season before last season with Oxford when although he only scored 1 goal he did contribute 10 assists which is what we need provided we have forwards apart from Bishop to also convert those chances
But I’m not going to go over the top with thinking we have signed a championship class player as Cardiff bought him on the back of a good 2018/9 season at Oxford then after 18 months of doing little lent him back first to Hull and then Oxford in league one
I wouldn’t say he is a stocking filler present but maybe the one under the tree you like but not from your list to Santa
Last edited by Pompey55 on Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Excellent News!!

Now that is a statement of intent by Pompey, a statement of endorsement of Mousinho by an international player who has been in the dressing room/squad with him in the past and hopefully a player to excite the fans.

I hope that those that we underwhelmed with the signings so far - and I can understand why because known were a household name - are now a lot happier with a 27yo pacey, direct winger who is 5' 7" and who is a current Northern Ireland international with 28 caps and 5 international goals. Cardiff bought him from L1 Oxford for over a £1m and he has 31 appearances in the Championship and 60 career appearances at L1

Pompey now have Scully, Lane and Whyte as wide players! All signed as permanent Pompey players.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:36 pm I think he will be a good addition to the team in particular with his record last season with Oxford when although he only scored 1 goal he did contribute 10 assists which is what we need provided we have forwards apart from Bishop to also convert those chances
But I’m not going to go over the top with thinking we have signed a championship class player as Cardiff bought him on the back of a good 2018/9 season at Oxford then after 18 months of doing little lent him back first to Hull and then Oxford in league one.
I wouldn’t say he is a stocking filler present but maybe the one under the tree you like but not from your list to Santa
looking at the glass half full - he is a 27yo player signed on a free transfer who had 10 assists last year - eh, yes please.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:39 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:36 pm I think he will be a good addition to the team in particular with his record last season with Oxford when although he only scored 1 goal he did contribute 10 assists which is what we need provided we have forwards apart from Bishop to also convert those chances
But I’m not going to go over the top with thinking we have signed a championship class player as Cardiff bought him on the back of a good 2018/9 season at Oxford then after 18 months of doing little lent him back first to Hull and then Oxford in league one.
looking at the glass half full - he is a 27yo player signed on a free transfer who had 10 assists last year - eh, yes please.
With respect I said he was a good addition to the team in my very first sentence but clarified that by pushing back on some reports that we have signed a championship class player he is not, he failed to make the grade at Cardiff, his appearance record for them is deceptive as many were just a few minutes as a sub, but was excellent at Oxford (twice) and Hull in our league.
I just feel that he improves the team but we still lack the creativity and finishing that will get us promoted if we have to rely on Bishop only again for goals
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:38 pm Excellent News!!

Pompey now have Scully, Lane and Whyte as wide players! All signed as permanent Pompey players.
Exactly my point we gave this supply from the wings but who apart from Bishop do we have with a proven record of converting these crosses
And also who have we been linked with to do so
Leigh last season 7 goals 1 assist in 39 league games
And please do not suggest this Aussie lad as his record and statistics show him to be yet another Hamilton Thorp
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:21 pm

Exactly my point we gave this supply from the wings but who apart from Bishop do we have with a proven record of converting these crosses
And please do not suggest this Aussie lad as his record and statistics show him to be yet another Hamilton Thorp
I thought you would be cock a hoop about this one after saying he was a signing of pedigree the other day!
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:30 pm

I thought you would be cock a hoop about this one after saying he was a signing of pedigree the other day!
Ouch.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I bought into the notion that he was a proven championship player until I did what I always do when we actually sign a player and look at his past record
I’m clear he is a good signing at our level but not statement of intent with regards to someone who will drive a promotion push
Simply look at his record a good season at Oxford a big money move to Cardiff, 18 months as a bit player loaned out to Hull then Oxford, back to Cardiff again barely played
Released by Cardiff and back to league one he’s a good league one player and that’s it in my view, he is back at a level where he can be effective hopefully to our benefit whoops I forgot Moushino had played with him so I guess that’s a super endorsement according to the club website
Maybe I’m being overly negative but nothing I see so far convinces me we will do much better than a possible playoff challenge
We still lack anyone who can really contribute to Bishops goals when we do then we have a promotion challenging team with our current signings until then we do not
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompeymack wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:41 pm

Ouch.
He misquoted me as I have just responded I bought into the snooze PR but the woke up and look at his past record
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

How do you please some people? Or are they "Grumpy Old Men"

Pompey are building a squad of Players signed not "Big Time Johnnys" loaned from Premier League Clubs (who don`t really want to be at Fratton Park).
Lets wait and see whether our new dynamic recruiting team have excelled or not!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:36 pm How do you please some people? Or are they "Grumpy Old Men"

Pompey are building a squad of Players signed not "Big Time Johnnys" loaned from Premier League Clubs (who don`t really want to be at Fratton Park).
Lets wait and see whether our new dynamic recruiting team have excelled or not!
Really looking forward to this season and seeing how things fall into place. Particularly as it'll be Mousinho's first proper.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

So a player people have been hoping we would sign as a bit of quality finally signs......

And immediately is deemed not as good as we thought, stats say he isn't great after all

I give uo
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:43 am So a player people have been hoping we would sign as a bit of quality finally signs......

And immediately is deemed not as good as we thought, stats say he isn't great after all

I give uo
Cheer up Fans will always feel they need the best players for their team, I think Whyte will be a great addition we now have Lane, Bishop, Skully, and Whyte in our front four, probably one of the best in our division. Also Saydee as a back up for Bishop hopefully we may get an attacking number 10 as well? We definately need Bernard in our defence plus another GK then we are all set for our roller coaster ride.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:00 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:43 am So a player people have been hoping we would sign as a bit of quality finally signs......

I give uo
Cheer up Fans will always feel they need the best players for their team, I think Whyte will be a great addition we now have Lane, Bishop, Skully, and Whyte in our front four, probably one of the best in our division. Also Saydee as a back up for Bishop hopefully we may get an attacking number 10 as well? We definately need Bernard in our defence plus another GK then we are all set for our roller coaster ride.
Oh I am cheerful Jam.
I see that after the last few years of moaning that we were loaning way too many players resulting in no continuity, this year after buying (carp) players on 2/3 year deals thats wrong as we are now stuck with those players.
Club cant win can it