Number 9

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Number 9

Post by Sam_Brown »

Appreciate the clarification. From personal experience I’ve found being there for other people is challenging in its own right. Don’t feel the need to caveat your situation because that comes with its own stresses.

When my grandad died I found it way harder watching my dad, gran and other relatives grieve than how I was personally affected. It’s all relative. X
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:52 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:10 am
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:42 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:25 am
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:47 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:03 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:23 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:53 pm imagine if we went and paid £500 to buy someone out the army and stuck them up front, the board would be shot for that wouldnt they, I mean the stats and record would be shocking, and even if they had scored some goals they would be coming from a ***** league so wouldnt be worth the punt anyway ;)
I think you are exaggerating some people's veiws somewhat. Guy Whittingham had already played at several levels and was a regular scorer at each. When he came to Pompey he was still a relatively young man who hadn't played in full time football but full of potential. Some of our signings don't have the same pedigree as an up and coming Whittingham and have reached the age where there potential has been reached or their potential would have been shown. Not all our buys, I hasten to add, because amongst some of the uninspiring transfers there have been some good ones with Devlin being particularly exciting.

I don't get why people are seeing bringing in players cheaply from clubs at a lower level to us is so good. Bringing in a player with potential is good in my opinion. If we went and got all our players out of the Ishmian League on 10 year contracts would that be seen as good?
I dont see it as a good thing, or a bad thing. I am waiting until I have seen how Mous can coach them and they have played some games.
you question the australian league nd what he might be able to do, well I would question the irish league and what sort of standard that is. Curtis came form there and worked out ok?? devlin has come from there and is highly rated with lots of teams after him??
of course all our players from lower leagues on 10 year contracts isnt going to work, and we arent doing that. Mous and hughes have clearly targeted certain players that they believe will fit the style of football they want to play.
People seem to forget we have Pack, Morrell, Raggett as experienced players alongside to guide and help players too.
Lets see what the season start brings before we write them all off ffs

Both Curtis & Devlin were standouts in the Irish League, as was Whyte when he was there. Far less players come from the Australian League although, in fairness, that is probably geographic more than anything. Yengi may well turn out to be a success but his record at the level he has come from is far from convincing. Nowhere near the promise that young Whittingham, Curtis or Devlin had. Pompey's recruitment staff must have run the rule over him and they have seen something that no one else has seen, which is surprising for a player who is 24. Nevertheless they have seen something and their record earlier in the year was good so there maybe something here, but it is hard to get excited about.
Pitman was a standout in the wessex league last year, should we resign him ??
Your sarcasm doesn't get much better. OK. Let's play your infantile game and say let's sign Pitman on a 10 year contract.
but thats not what I am saying at all Walter and you know that.
we had loads of loans and people moaned, so we have signed players on 2/3 year deals, now they are moaning we are stuck with players
The players we have signed arent Ronaldo, their stats say they are sh!te so they must be sh!te
They have come from lesser leagues so they must be sh!te
whenever any of these arguments are questioned and cases where players have had carp stats or come from lesser leagues and been a succes, but they are shot down and no answer will ever satisfy.

All I see is people saying the club have signed 9 carp players on contracts that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted we are stuck with 9 carp players who will be no good to us, but they might be good, but i doubt it
all the other teams fans have said we have bought 9 carp players so it must be true and they have written off out promotion chances FACT so again must be true

all of this before a ball has been kicked in anger ffs.
The team has been put together, Mous and Hughes have targeted these players for a reason, lets wait and see what that reason is before we give up before the first whistle

I saw someone saying that we need to sign a standout player make a statement, like Tommy Leigh !! i dont see him as a standout player, he was a good player in an average accrington side, but is he better than some of the other players we have signed? he was released by Pompey, played in non league, was picked up by accrington and had a good couple of years, by all the arguments against the others we have signed he will be classed as sh!te too

Porchy, by all means post an opposing veiw, that's what makes debating interesting, but please do it fairly without dissmising others veiws that differ. My veiws often differ from most posting on here but that doesn't make me stupid or the views I oppose stupid.

I think we all have valid reasons for having a particular veiw point, whether it ends up as right or wrong. For instance I posted a veiw where I predicted a veiw suggesting that season ticket sales would be down this summer on the previous sales. I based that veiw on my own thoughts and of those near where I sit and also in general discussion with other supporters who were fed up with the entertainment on offer. I came to the conclusion that season tickets would have a lower uptake this summer and, based on the veiws of others, it was a reasonable conclusion to come to. As it happens I could not have been more wrong because the take up is, in fact, higher. I got that particular veiw point wrong and those that opposed my veiw point got it right. I admitted this issue on another thread which you may have missed.

Your analogy using Pitman and Yengi is, in my opinion, aimed at ridiculing veiws that differ to yours. You must know that making an argument concerning the two players doesn't hold any water so therefore you can't really excuse your post. But do please keep posting as all veiws are of interest.
bl**dy Hell BW there's a lot of views in that, I counted 12 I think..some of them even spelled correctly. :D
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:17 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:00 pm You don't have to accept every invitation to reply BW. I worry you take what is said on this forum to heart sometimes.
Are you Bill's spokesman? I do try to answer questions that are asked of my posts because that is part and parcel of debate, unlike some posters who post quotes and then not qualify them. I would have thought my grammar is in no way worse than many on here and I wondered what the interest in mine in particular was.

As for taking things to heart I note that you haven't given that advice to certain other posters who take things out of proportion in putting their veiws across. I do spend too much time on here at times, especially at this present time. We have just lost a family member at a young age and not only my family but the Pompey supporting family as he was a keen fan as well as a regular poster on Pompey forums. But thank you for your concern about my well being.
Oh Gosh I'm so sorry BW, please accept my heartfelt condolences. :|
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:40 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:53 pm imagine if we went and paid £500 to buy someone out the army and stuck them up front, the board would be shot for that wouldnt they, I mean the stats and record would be shocking, and even if they had scored some goals they would be coming from a ***** league so wouldnt be worth the punt anyway ;)
I think you are exaggerating some people's veiws somewhat. Guy Whittingham had already played at several levels and was a regular scorer at each. When he came to Pompey he was still a relatively young man who hadn't played in full time football but full of potential. Some of our signings don't have the same pedigree as an up and coming Whittingham and have reached the age where there potential has been reached or their potential would have been shown. Not all our buys, I hasten to add, because amongst some of the uninspiring transfers there have been some good ones with Devlin being particularly exciting.

I don't get why people are seeing bringing in players cheaply from clubs at a lower level to us is so good. Bringing in a player with potential is good in my opinion. If we went and got all our players out of the Ishmian League on 10 year contracts would that be seen as good?
I dont see it as a good thing, or a bad thing. I am waiting until I have seen how Mous can coach them and they have played some games.
you question the australian league nd what he might be able to do, well I would question the irish league and what sort of standard that is. Curtis came form there and worked out ok?? devlin has come from there and is highly rated with lots of teams after him??
of course all our players from lower leagues on 10 year contracts isnt going to work, and we arent doing that. Mous and hughes have clearly targeted certain players that they believe will fit the style of football they want to play.
People seem to forget we have Pack, Morrell, Raggett as experienced players alongside to guide and help players too.

Both Curtis & Devlin were standouts in the Irish League, as was Whyte when he was there. Far less players come from the Australian League although, in fairness, that is probably geographic more than anything. Yengi may well turn out to be a success but his record at the level he has come from is far from convincing. Nowhere near the promise that young Whittingham, Curtis or Devlin had. Pompey's recruitment staff must have run the rule over him and they have seen something that no one else has seen, which is surprising for a player who is 24. Nevertheless they have seen something and their record earlier in the year was good so there maybe something here, but it is hard to get excited about.
Your sarcasm doesn't get much better. OK. Let's play your infantile game and say let's sign Pitman on a 10 year contract.
we had loads of loans and people moaned, so we have signed players on 2/3 year deals, now they are moaning we are stuck with players
The players we have signed arent Ronaldo, their stats say they are sh!te so they must be sh!te
whenever any of these arguments are questioned and cases where players have had carp stats or come from lesser leagues and been a succes, but they are shot down and no answer will ever satisfy.

All I see is people saying the club have signed 9 carp players on contracts that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted we are stuck with 9 carp players who will be no good to us, but they might be good, but i doubt it
all the other teams fans have said we have bought 9 carp players so it must be true and they have written off out promotion chances FACT so again must be true

The team has been put together, Mous and Hughes have targeted these players for a reason, lets wait and see what that reason is before we give up before the first whistle

I saw someone saying that we need to sign a standout player make a statement, like Tommy Leigh !! i dont see him as a standout player, he was a good player in an average accrington side, but is he better than some of the other players we have signed? he was released by Pompey, played in non league, was picked up by accrington and had a good couple of years, by all the arguments against the others we have signed he will be classed as sh!te too

Porchy, by all means post an opposing veiw, that's what makes debating interesting, but please do it fairly without dissmising others veiws that differ. My veiws often differ from most posting on here but that doesn't make me stupid or the views I oppose stupid.

I think we all have valid reasons for having a particular veiw point, whether it ends up as right or wrong. For instance I posted a veiw where I predicted a veiw suggesting that season ticket sales would be down this summer on the previous sales. I based that veiw on my own thoughts and of those near where I sit and also in general discussion with other supporters who were fed up with the entertainment on offer. I came to the conclusion that season tickets would have a lower uptake this summer and, based on the veiws of others, it was a reasonable conclusion to come to. As it happens I could not have been more wrong because the take up is, in fact, higher. I got that particular veiw point wrong and those that opposed my veiw point got it right. I admitted this issue on another thread which you may have missed.

Your analogy using Pitman and Yengi is, in my opinion, aimed at ridiculing veiws that differ to yours. You must know that making an argument concerning the two players doesn't hold any water so therefore you can't really excuse your post. But do please keep posting as all veiws are of interest.
bl**dy Hell BW there's a lot of views in that, I counted 12 I think..some of them even spelled correctly. :D
Thank you. Perhaps that should have read "SPELT correctly" if you are also a spell checker.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:55 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:40 pm

Thank you. Perhaps that should have read "SPELT correctly" if you are also a spell checker.
I ummed and ahhed about that lol!! :lol: :lol:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:55 pm Thank you. Perhaps that should have read "SPELT correctly" if you are also a spell checker.
Either can be used in the UK, but only spelled in the US 8)