Number 9

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Number 9

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:06 am Sorry to be pedantic but Devlin and Curtis played in totally different leagues, in totally different countries.
No your not being pedantic because you are right, they did play in different leagues. The League that Curtis played in was probably a higher standard to the one Devlin played in but I wouldn't really know how much difference, if any, but that wasn't the really the point. The point is that both Curtis & Devlin were standout players in their respective leaues whereas Yengi wasn't even considered a first team regular and, as far as I can see, not seen as a star of the league he played in. You may know more about the player than me because I had never heard of him before Pompey's involvement with him so all I can do is look up his statistics and information about him. This investigation reveals surprise that a club at our level have shown interest in him given his age. People who do know better than me and have done more of an indepth investigation is our recruitment team and they have seen something that no one else has because, from what I understand, we didn't need to fight any other club for his signature. They may well have unearthed a gem but, nevertheless, it would appear an extremely long shot.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:25 am
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:47 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:03 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:23 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:53 pm imagine if we went and paid £500 to buy someone out the army and stuck them up front, the board would be shot for that wouldnt they, I mean the stats and record would be shocking, and even if they had scored some goals they would be coming from a ***** league so wouldnt be worth the punt anyway ;)
I think you are exaggerating some people's veiws somewhat. Guy Whittingham had already played at several levels and was a regular scorer at each. When he came to Pompey he was still a relatively young man who hadn't played in full time football but full of potential. Some of our signings don't have the same pedigree as an up and coming Whittingham and have reached the age where there potential has been reached or their potential would have been shown. Not all our buys, I hasten to add, because amongst some of the uninspiring transfers there have been some good ones with Devlin being particularly exciting.

I don't get why people are seeing bringing in players cheaply from clubs at a lower level to us is so good. Bringing in a player with potential is good in my opinion. If we went and got all our players out of the Ishmian League on 10 year contracts would that be seen as good?
I dont see it as a good thing, or a bad thing. I am waiting until I have seen how Mous can coach them and they have played some games.
you question the australian league nd what he might be able to do, well I would question the irish league and what sort of standard that is. Curtis came form there and worked out ok?? devlin has come from there and is highly rated with lots of teams after him??
of course all our players from lower leagues on 10 year contracts isnt going to work, and we arent doing that. Mous and hughes have clearly targeted certain players that they believe will fit the style of football they want to play.
People seem to forget we have Pack, Morrell, Raggett as experienced players alongside to guide and help players too.
Lets see what the season start brings before we write them all off ffs

Both Curtis & Devlin were standouts in the Irish League, as was Whyte when he was there. Far less players come from the Australian League although, in fairness, that is probably geographic more than anything. Yengi may well turn out to be a success but his record at the level he has come from is far from convincing. Nowhere near the promise that young Whittingham, Curtis or Devlin had. Pompey's recruitment staff must have run the rule over him and they have seen something that no one else has seen, which is surprising for a player who is 24. Nevertheless they have seen something and their record earlier in the year was good so there maybe something here, but it is hard to get excited about.
Pitman was a standout in the wessex league last year, should we resign him ??
Your sarcasm doesn't get much better. OK. Let's play your infantile game and say let's sign Pitman on a 10 year contract.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:39 am
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:47 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:53 pm imagine if we went and paid £500 to buy someone out the army and stuck them up front, the board would be shot for that wouldnt they, I mean the stats and record would be shocking, and even if they had scored some goals they would be coming from a ***** league so wouldnt be worth the punt anyway ;)

Actually we never did pay £500 pounds to buy him out of the army, he bought himself out so he could move to us from Yeovil we eventually paid him back as it saved us paying them a fee also it was £450
Yeovil wanted to buy him out but by doing it himself it meant he was a free agent
Whilst in army he joined Waterlooville ( 23 goals in 36 games) moving then to Yeovil (18 goals in 23 games) and then to us hardly unproven
Also almost half his goals scored for us 42 were in one season and he had always acknowledged that was mostly helped by playing along side Walsh
Well please accept my apologies I was £50 out, and if we eventually paid him back, does that not mean we paid to get him out the army???
Oh ok, so we cant buy a striker from the Aussie Pub league, but signing from waterlooville and their lofty heights thats ok
oh no sorry, he was ***** too because walsh did it all
Not from Waterlooville but Yeovil
You as usual misinterpreted my comment to be sarcastic regarding Walsh what I was intenting to point out is that a good striker needs a creative partner such as Walsh to score so many goals
At present Bishop does not appear to have that foil a glaring omission to the current recruitment so far in my view
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I think you are exaggerating some people's veiws somewhat. Guy Whittingham had already played at several levels and was a regular scorer at each. When he came to Pompey he was still a relatively young man who hadn't played in full time football but full of potential. Some of our signings don't have the same pedigree as an up and coming Whittingham and have reached the age where there potential has been reached or their potential would have been shown. Not all our buys, I hasten to add, because amongst some of the uninspiring transfers there have been some good ones with Devlin being particularly exciting.

I don't get why people are seeing bringing in players cheaply from clubs at a lower level to us is so good. Bringing in a player with potential is good in my opinion. If we went and got all our players out of the Ishmian League on 10 year contracts would that be seen as good?
I dont see it as a good thing, or a bad thing. I am waiting until I have seen how Mous can coach them and they have played some games.
you question the australian league nd what he might be able to do, well I would question the irish league and what sort of standard that is. Curtis came form there and worked out ok?? devlin has come from there and is highly rated with lots of teams after him??
of course all our players from lower leagues on 10 year contracts isnt going to work, and we arent doing that. Mous and hughes have clearly targeted certain players that they believe will fit the style of football they want to play.
People seem to forget we have Pack, Morrell, Raggett as experienced players alongside to guide and help players too.

Both Curtis & Devlin were standouts in the Irish League, as was Whyte when he was there. Far less players come from the Australian League although, in fairness, that is probably geographic more than anything. Yengi may well turn out to be a success but his record at the level he has come from is far from convincing. Nowhere near the promise that young Whittingham, Curtis or Devlin had. Pompey's recruitment staff must have run the rule over him and they have seen something that no one else has seen, which is surprising for a player who is 24. Nevertheless they have seen something and their record earlier in the year was good so there maybe something here, but it is hard to get excited about.
He would possibly score more in the A League than Yengi
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:42 am

Your sarcasm doesn't get much better. OK. Let's play your infantile game and say let's sign Pitman on a 10 year contract.
but thats not what I am saying at all Walter and you know that.
we had loads of loans and people moaned, so we have signed players on 2/3 year deals, now they are moaning we are stuck with players
The players we have signed arent Ronaldo, their stats say they are sh!te so they must be sh!te
They have come from lesser leagues so they must be sh!te
whenever any of these arguments are questioned and cases where players have had carp stats or come from lesser leagues and been a succes, but they are shot down and no answer will ever satisfy.

All I see is people saying the club have signed 9 carp players on contracts that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted we are stuck with 9 carp players who will be no good to us, but they might be good, but i doubt it
all the other teams fans have said we have bought 9 carp players so it must be true and they have written off out promotion chances FACT so again must be true

all of this before a ball has been kicked in anger ffs.
The team has been put together, Mous and Hughes have targeted these players for a reason, lets wait and see what that reason is before we give up before the first whistle

I saw someone saying that we need to sign a standout player make a statement, like Tommy Leigh !! i dont see him as a standout player, he was a good player in an average accrington side, but is he better than some of the other players we have signed? he was released by Pompey, played in non league, was picked up by accrington and had a good couple of years, by all the arguments against the others we have signed he will be classed as sh!te too
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I apologise for thinking of you as a one-trick pony, PB2.
I now appreciate you use exaggeration and generalisation alongside the aforementioned sarcasm.
Have you thought about going into politics?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

PB You have basically confirmed in this statement that you don’t think we are good enough. Basically shot down your argument and I quote
“ All I see is people saying the club have signed 9 carp players on contracts that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted we are stuck with 9 carp players who will be no good to us,” I think our case rest M’ Lord
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:50 am I apologise for thinking of you as a one-trick pony, PB2.
I now appreciate you use exaggeration and generalisation alongside the aforementioned sarcasm.
Have you thought about going into politics?
why thank you Dinksy :)

is my exaggeration any worse than writing players off based on stats??
is my generalisation any worse than saying a player isnt going to make it because of the league he has come from ??
All i have done is give extreme cases of the opposite, if that offends then i apologise and will stop posting any comments that in any way shape form try and give a different view to the doom and gloom that we seem to have descended to
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:57 am PB You have basically confirmed in this statement that you don’t think we are good enough. Basically shot down your argument and I quote
“ All I see is people saying the club have signed 9 carp players on contracts that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted we are stuck with 9 carp players who will be no good to us,” I think our case rest M’ Lord
how is me saying that all i see is other people saying these things me saying I dont think we are good enough ?? I am lost with that logic I am afraid Jam
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:04 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:57 am PB You have basically confirmed in this statement that you don’t think we are good enough. Basically shot down your argument and I quote
how is me saying that all i see is other people saying these things me saying I dont think we are good enough ?? I am lost with that logic I am afraid Jam
That statement confirms you dont think the players are good enough that we have brought in ie not good enough for promotion so basically crap players
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:14 am
That statement confirms you dont think the players are good enough that we have brought in ie not good enough for promotion so basically crap players
nope still lost as to that statement says I dont think they are good enough.

The statement says "all I see is people saying" as in others are saying these things not me, I have not said I think this in any way in that statement

and at no point have I said I think we are good enough, all i have said is give the players a chance to actually kick a ball before you write them off
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:17 am

The statement says "all I see is people saying" as in others are saying these things not me, I have not said I think this in any way in that statement

and at no point have I said I think we are good enough, all i have said is give the players a chance to actually kick a ball before you write them off
that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted
-- Diane Johnson
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:19 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:17 am

that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted
which is part of the whole sentence, ALL I SEE IS people saying the club have signed 9 carp players on contracts that mean in the extremely unlikey event we get promoted we are stuck with 9 carp players who will be no good to us,

you cant take half a statement and make it something else Jam, where did you think the all i see stopped any my opinion started??
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

We have signed players who have played plenty of games in this league mean while (manageress) Barnsley have just signed a 21 year old from Pontefract Colliers (great team name).

Imagine the meltdown.

One of our main rivals this season towards top of the league I'd have thought.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Reported in the snooze Moushino says that Whyte is a “marquee” signing having played 45 games for a Championship team and Cardiff paid a big fee 4 years ago
I think that’s stretching it a bit 30 of those games were in 2019/20 and the remainder in the first half of last season mostly as a late sub
I’m not saying he’s not a good signing but he has only had success in league one
He is a very good player at this level but please not a “marquee” signing
I’m suspecting we are being set up for a situation of no further significant quality signings and not that elusive creative attacking midfield /attacking player we need