Our predicted Line Up

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Our predicted Line Up

Post by jam tomorrow »

What do you think our line up will be based on players we have at the moment ? I am going to put Bernard in defence although we havent signed him yet although i feel we do need him or an equivlent CB.Please feel free to input your team

Norris

Swanson Towler Bernard? Ogilvie

Pack Devlin Morrell

Whyte Bishop Scully
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
godmcgarvey
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Our predicted Line Up

Post by godmcgarvey »

I can still see Rafferty starting ahead of Swanson.

Will also be interesting to see where Lane fits in, maybe ahead of Devlin?
Life is wasted on the living
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

godmcgarvey wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:02 pm I can still see Rafferty starting ahead of Swanson.

Thats fair comment I would like to see us sign an attacking number 10 although Tommy Leigh is a possibility I would prefer a player like Panutche Camara quick and exciting. I would say players like Lane, Lowery must be challenging for a place together with Swanson if Rafferty gets picked
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

godmcgarvey wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:02 pm I can still see Rafferty starting ahead of Swanson.

I would agree regarding Rafferty based on his form in the latter part of last season but it's a close call
I do not see Devlin being a starter early on in the season I think he will be eased in and Lowery would be ahead of him anyway in my view
Moushino at the end of last season seemed suggest he saw Lane playing in the pocket behind a striker and Scully can and has played that position before
So I see us starting with a 4-2-3-1 unless we get that magical maverick attacking midfield/attacker
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I just think it is exciting to have these new Players coming with a plan to make our Team better am I the only one who is really looking forward to see how they are going to fit into our Team
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Norris

Rafferty Bernard Towler Ogilvie

Morrell Pack

No.8/10 (lowery currently)

Subs: Shaughnessy, Stevenson, Saydee, Lane, GK, Raggett, 8/10 (Devlin currently)

I think the no.8/10 role will rotate depending on the opposition and whether home or away. For example this could be Lowery as a playmaker or Devlin as a box-to-box player or Stevenson even as left sided midfielder or Shaughnessy to drop in alongside Pack to add some aerial cover to defensive midfield to allow Morrel to play as a roving no.8 midfielder.

I see Devlin being a regular on the bench to start with and Lowery starting the season but by the end of the season I think that will switch around.

I think this is also why the club is looking for a hybrid 8/10 player with Tommy Leigh from Accrington still being considered. This would allow Pompey to alternative in formation from Mousinho's preferred 4-3-3- formation to a 4-2-3-1.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think one of Mousinho conundrums is caused by Raggett. He is the most experienced defender and I think will be first choice. The problem is who will be paired with him. Towler has the place already but if they do manage to bring in Bernard it is going to be interesting to see how that plays out. I think Raggett's defensive dependability in the air is crucial at our level because the aerial route is more often used. On the other hand young players with potential need experience so I expect a fair bit of squad rotation during games. if Bernard does come I would expect an offer for Raggett could come in. Then I wonder what the club would do. Cash in or stick?

The Swanson or Rafferty situation is also intriguing. Rafferty is a class act at this level but Swanson has huge potential to go all the way. At Tottenham in the Cup Swanson was Pompey's stand out player in my veiw. So there will be a real battle for the shirt.

Midfield will be interesting too and where I see some of the new players fitting in. So far we haven't got the creative players I was hoping for and needed so I wonder if the midfield will become more offensive. Mousinho has indicated that he sees Morrell being able to be more creative by being pushed further forward and not having as much defensive duties. So I see a midfield of Morrell and Pack with Lane and Whyte wide. I think Scully will be used as a sort of second striker/creator with Bishop up front.

I think the subs bench will have a big part to play and I think young Devlin will be an often used perennial sub. I would think Shaughnessy will be anther perennial sub as cover for midfield and defence. Obviously some players can play their way fron perennial sub to being a starter.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:38 am I think one of Mousinho conundrums is caused by Raggett. He is the most experienced defender and I think will be first choice. The problem is who will be paired with him. Towler has the place already but if they do manage to bring in Bernard it is going to be interesting to see how that plays out. I think Raggett's defensive dependability in the air is crucial at our level because the aerial route is more often used. On the other hand young players with potential need experience so I expect a fair bit of squad rotation during games. if Bernard does come I would expect an offer for Raggett could come in. Then I wonder what the club would do. Cash in or stick?

The Swanson or Rafferty situation is also intriguing. Rafferty is a class act at this level but Swanson has huge potential to go all the way. At Tottenham in the Cup Swanson was Pompey's stand out player in my veiw. So there will be a real battle for the shirt.

Midfield will be interesting too and where I see some of the new players fitting in. So far we haven't got the creative players I was hoping for and needed so I wonder if the midfield will become more offensive. Mousinho has indicated that he sees Morrell being able to be more creative by being pushed further forward and not having as much defensive duties. So I see a midfield of Morrell and Pack with Lane and Whyte wide. I think Scully will be used as a sort of second striker/creator with Bishop up front.

I think the subs bench will have a big part to play and I think young Devlin will be an often used perennial sub. I would think Shaughnessy will be anther perennial sub as cover for midfield and defence. Obviously some players can play their way fron perennial sub to being a starter.
I have the same thought about Scully being someone who could play in a forward attacking role, slightly behind Bishop (perhaps more left sided than anything) with Whyte RW and Lane LW. I could see this being the case more at home than away. I do think though that they want to sign a more natural creative midfield player but there are options appearing now in the squad for that advanced midfield/withdrawn striker role (no.8/10) in Scully, Devlin, Morrell, Whyte and perhaps even Stevenson.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

I don’t see Stevenson, Devlin or Morrell playing in the withdrawn striker role, Scully most likely IMHO.

Let’s see what the end of the transfer window brings us though…