Rumour on Twitter Raggers

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Rumour on Twitter Raggers

Post by jam tomorrow »

According to Journo with 128 k followers on Twitter The Gills are looking to sign Raggett
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Rumour on Twitter Raggers

Post by Pompey55 »

I think it would be a mistake letting him go as he may not be the most comfortable bringing the ball out but he is pretty solid defensively in particular in the air at both ends of the pitch
In this league you need this type of player especially when you play long ball direct teams
He also has great leadership ability
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I am not sure Mous rates him better than the other options
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:42 am I am not sure Mous rates him better than the other options
I think he’ s realised he would be a sub now and won’t play regularly.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

With Jamaica now out of the CONCACAF, it may be that we are finally talking to Bernard. If that deal happens, I think that would certainly signal Ragget's exit.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:55 am With Jamaica now out of the CONCACAF, it may be that we are finally talking to Bernard. If that deal happens, I think that would certainly signal Ragget's exit.
This was my thinking too, may a deal for Bernard is still on the cards.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

If we dont bring in a better option than Raggers why should we sell him unless of course he feels he wants to go based on the fact he may not be first choice? Even then we are not in a postion that we need the funding so we should make sure we have the cover first, it seems that Gillingham are prepared to pay a fee for him which could go towards a good player.
-- Diane Johnson
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

More than happy for Raggett to leave, assuming that we have a replacement lined up. Makes perfect sense for him too as Gillingham was his boyhood club I believe, he'll be guaranteed to play, he has a new baby, Jackett is the director of football, he knows Williams and Hawkins, and Piggott is allegedly going there too. Added to that they have money so he'll probably get a better/longer contract. Nice guy, solid defender/header, and brave but he is limited, not someone going to get us promoted IMO.
Maddog56
Martin Kuhl

Post by Maddog56 »

You definitely don’t want an unhappy player, but there is no evidence Raggs is unhappy. Really consistent & robust presence in our defence for several seasons now, and I’d be in no hurry to see him go unless we had a great replacement lined up.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think this may be a case of it may be a shame to see Raggett leave but it may be the right thing for all parties this transfer window provided Bernard signs for Pompey.

The reality is that Raggett is 30yo in January and is in the last year of his contract with Pompey. The signings of Regan Poole and Towler means he is not first choice for Pompey in centre defence this season you'd think Pompey may choose to get a fee for him now rather than see him leave as a free transfer at the end of the season.

Then there is Bernard. If he signs Pompey would have him, Towler and Poole all be under 25 and under contract for at least the next two seasons and behind them Pompey have Mnogi and Dockerill as young centre halves coming through too. Oglivie also can play left centre half too of course so signing Bernard gives Pompey more than enough cover to let Raggett leave if they want to do so.

Mousinho also clearly wants to be able to have keepers and defenders really comfortable with the ball at their feet and capable of carrying the ball forward on occsions. This is not Raggett's strengths.

All signs are that this is his last pre-season with Pompey and he may actually leave in this transfer window.