A neutral season preview

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

A neutral season preview

Post by PeteM »

So, I occasionally buy the Racing & Football Outlook weekly betting paper, as I like a flutter every now and again - and bought it this week for their Open Golf tips.

When I was reading it this evening, I noticed they also had a preview of the League One season inside, where to the shock of many on here (and even to me a bit), their two recommended bets were Portsmouth to win League One (each way) and Barnsley to be promoted. We're now 4th favourites with the bookies in most places, behind Derby, Bolton and Barnsley.

The section on why Pompey were their selection:

"The spectre of points deductions is casting a shadow over League One before the 2023/24 season but to the best of our knowledge shouldn't impact on Portsmouth, who look well worth backing for the title. Pompey made it six straight top-ten finishes in May when they ended up in eighth and that level of consistency should ensure they challenge again. Pompey are eager to get back up the pyramid and the disappearance of Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday will certainly have helped their cause. So too has the eight point deduction copped by Wigan while Reading are also threatened with a six-point hit.

Portsmouth signed off 2022/23 in style. The Danny Cowley reign had gone stale and the punt they took on John Mousinho, not universally acclaimed at the time around Fratton Park, has looked inspired. They signed off last season undefeated in 11 and had they managed to turn a trio of seven draws into victories, they could have nipped into the playoffs.

Sporting director Richard Hughes and Mousinho have overseen a massive summer buying spree which, on top of the nuts and bolts of a high-class squad featuring aces of the calibre of Marlon Pack, Joe Morrell and 20-goal Colby Bishop, augurs well for a decent campaign."

Thought it was worth sharing, as an example of how we're perceived by those outside the bubble (although I wouldn't necessarily say we've been on a massive summer buying spree!)

I don't actually expect us to win the league, but I do expect us to make the top six this season. One or two more signings would be great and I do expect us to bring a couple more in, but our starting eleven looks pretty strong with some good options in most areas of the pitch.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: A neutral season preview

Post by NSRailings »

PeteM wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:54 pm I don't actually expect us to win the league, but I do expect us to make the top six this season. One or two more signings would be great and I do expect us to bring a couple more in, but our starting eleven looks pretty strong with some good options in most areas of the pitch.
Yes that's what I'm hoping for as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we continued where we left off from last season with steady form and then hopefully keep improving as the season goes on. If we hit the ground running then great!
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Without some creativity in the midfield I can also see us carrying on as we finished last season drawing the majority of games as we could not breakdown teams at Fratton when they came for the point and turning procession into goals
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Quietly optimistic for next season. Not expecting us to win the league comfortably but definitely feeling an improvement on last season.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Yes, the numbers don't necessarily reflect a spending spree as such but certainly a huge recruitment overhaul has taken place.
Yet, even after this, it is Cowley's men - Pack, Bishop, Lowery and Morrell - who are still arguably our best players.
The key will be keeping them on the field and I predict that, despite a big squad, our vulnerabilities in terms of quality will be laid bare if these players are suspended or injured. However, if we get lucky on that account (please have a proper medical team in place by the end of August), I can easily see us in the play-offs.
Key player for me is Morrell. We won more points with him in the side than anyone else. If Mousinho can temper Joe's petulance to leave us with just his commitment and drive, we will get enough points to make the top six.