9-1 Win Today.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

9-1 Win Today.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Against Crawley behind closed doors, 4 quarters of 30 minutes each.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/202 ... 22-jul-23/
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: 9-1 Win Today.

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Impressive result. Really nice to see Pompey not just score repeatedly today but also that they were creating so many chances that it really should have been into the low teens.

It has been so long since I have read that Pompey looked dangerous going forward and you don't score nine against league opposition unless you are actually carrying a real attacking threat.

I know that some of the signings this off-season have not excited everyone but I think the approach that Pompey have taken this season is to have as strong a squad of 22 as possible - of players under contract owned by the club rather than heavily dependent on loans - and to build a squad of players with a defined way of playing and to have players who fit what Mousinho wants. The result of doing that is Crawley got a 9-1 shelling two weeks before the season starts.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Interesting to read the take on the game from the Crawley website
Their take on the game is that for the first 2 periods of play they more than matched us and were unlucky to be 2-1 down
They then have no problem with the later goal rush after they had changed 11 players as they conceded it reflected our strength in depth and their lack of depth which I think we would expect based on our respective league standings
Not downplaying the result but just pointing to another view
I’m more interested in the Wimbledon and Bristol City games when I would expect us to mainly use our expected starting lineup
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:36 pm Impressive result. Really nice to see Pompey not just score repeatedly today but also that they were creating so many chances that it really should have been into the low teens.

It has been so long since I have read that Pompey looked dangerous going forward and you don't score nine against league opposition unless you are actually carrying a real attacking threat.

I know that some of the signings this off-season have not excited everyone but I think the approach that Pompey have taken this season is to have as strong a squad of 22 as possible - of players under contract owned by the club rather than heavily dependent on loans - and to build a squad of players with a defined way of playing and to have players who fit what Mousinho wants. The result of doing that is Crawley got a 9-1 shelling two weeks before the season starts.
Sounds like Scully was involved in a lot of good things - I think he could be a real smart piece of business.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

We mustn’t get carried away too much with this score line as Crawley manager said basically we won 2.1. Having said that was really good for our confidence as long as we take it into perspective.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Enjoy!! some people will always put a downer on positive results
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I can't see anyone putting a downer on the game just stating the obvious that we take a realistic view on why the result was what it was
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:31 am We mustn’t get carried away too much with this score line as Crawley manager said basically we won 2.1. Having said that was really good for our confidence as long as we take it into perspective.
While I agree we shouldn't get carried away - did Crawley not know the format of the game first?

I think it shows we have some good competition for places, and improved depth to the squad this year.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:27 am I can't see anyone putting a downer on the game just stating the obvious that we take a realistic view on why the result was what it was
So we didn't need to read doon and gloom in to the early preseason results either then?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:36 am
Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:27 am I can't see anyone putting a downer on the game just stating the obvious that we take a realistic view on why the result was what it was
So we didn't need to read doon and gloom in to the early preseason results either then?
No we don’t and looking back apart from a few tongue in cheek comments suggesting maybe sacking everyone most comments were pretty neutral suggesting the team needed time to get fit and gel