Jack Whatmaugh

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Jack Whatmaugh

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Seems to have really pissed Wigan fans off by deciding to walk away 10 days before the season starts. Yes, they have had a lot of problems, but they have just been taken over and had two pay days on time yet today he and another player have decided it's time to walk away.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Jack Whatmaugh

Post by Kingo »

Perhaps he's got an offer to go somewhere else.🤞
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

The situation at Wigan is an interesting one because it could have directly impacted our recruitment this summer. Wigan had at least two quality players who are seeking advice from the PFA about how to leave the club due to breach of contract. One area where Mousinho has some clout is with the PFA so you might think he could see an opportunity here. IF the funds promised by Eisner at the end of last season were there, I think we could have offered Jack a way back. Certainly, he would have provided a step up with our quality at the back.
Another player who helped Wigan achieve promotion from League One is Will Keane. I think he was still their top goal scorer last season. Genuine quality competition for Bishop but he has gone to Preston. It looks like Mous is already worried about his options there as he has been holding Bishop back from pre-season games in case he gets crocked.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Not the only one who's worried about his options up front I would imagine
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I don`t think Jack Whatmough is coming here either
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I have little to no sympathy here for those that are running the club at Wigan. They have not paid their players and have therefore fundamentally breached their employment contracts with the players so they can't complain when the players accept their repudiatory breach and walk away to work for someone else.

I understand the fans see this negatively but that is just fandom. Wigan's owners and managers have no-one else to blame than themselves for the situation unfolding like this.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:20 pm I have little to no sympathy here for those that are running the club at Wigan. They have not paid their players and have therefore fundamentally breached their employment contracts with the players so they can't complain when the players accept their repudiatory breach and walk away to work for someone else.

I understand the fans see this negatively but that is just fandom. Wigan's owners and managers have no-one else to blame than themselves for the situation unfolding like this.

That's not quite true - the previous owners didn't pay. The new owner has been ok so far.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:52 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:20 pm I have little to no sympathy here for those that are running the club at Wigan. They have not paid their players and have therefore fundamentally breached their employment contracts with the players so they can't complain when the players accept their repudiatory breach and walk away to work for someone else.

That's not quite true - the previous owners didn't pay. The new owner has been ok so far.
fair enough in terms of the shareholder/owner/investor now might be 100% reliable but it doesn't change the position that the company that is Whatmaugh's employer has not paid him on time previously and has fundamentally breached the employment contract and broken the contractual relationship of trust such that Whatmaugh and the other player have called time on the whole relationship as a result. I have little sympathy for the employing entity in this situation.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think it's the timing that is a bit poor taste if your a Wigan fan - walking away when it's all going to ****** is one thing, but walking away when they have come out the otherside (and they could get a fee) for you is another.

Scully could have walked away for nowt...