Bristol City Friendly

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Bristol City Friendly

Post by Pompey55 »

This constant reference to the Crawley is in my view becoming rather tedious
Anyone who read the absolutely scathing comments from their manager regarding the fringe players who mostly played the last two 30 minute segments would understand why it was only after both teams effectively played a second stream team that we scored the majority of our goals
When both teams played their likely starting line up the score was 2-1 with our second a penalty
So yes our squad is better than that of a low level league 2 club but against a full strength opponent we struggled to score we knew this as the majority of that second set of players we mainly those we signed in the window and will in all likelihood be in the bench for the majority of games with the exception of Poole Whyte and Scully and obviously one of the 2 keepers
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

We went on Saturday and while the lack of chances created in open play is concerning I saw enough quality from several of the new players not to be pressing any panic buttons just yet. I remain confident we will finish inside the top 6.

We kept their £25m talent (Alex Scott) fairly quiet during the match, we should also remember we won’t be playing sides of that quality week in week out. I was impressed by their number 11 second half, he caused Swanson real problems. Also noticeable was the way Brizzle blocked a lot of crosses coming in (conceding a throw in or a corner instead giving themselves time to organise).

100% agree though that we urgently need a creative midfielder (as was the case last season).

Poole looked like a real step up in quality over Raggett by the way, he was clearly telling Rafferty he wasn’t happy about something early 2nd half….clearly all his leadership talk has some substance - impressed!
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:12 am This constant reference to the Crawley is in my view becoming rather tedious
Arguably, the same could be said of your constant criticism of this summer's player recruitment?

Trust that you will be at the BBC Solent Pompey Fans Forum tonight and put your points to the panel?

For those interested - 7pm on BBC Radio Solent - Andy Cullen, John Mousinho plus representatives from men's and women's teams.

Not sure whether it will be on iPlayer but will be live on the BBC Solent website with a recording available afterwards.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:12 am This constant reference to the Crawley is in my view becoming rather tedious
Anyone who read the absolutely scathing comments from their manager regarding the fringe players who mostly played the last two 30 minute segments would understand why it was only after both teams effectively played a second stream team that we scored the majority of our goals
When both teams played their likely starting line up the score was 2-1 with our second a penalty
So yes our squad is better than that of a low level league 2 club but against a full strength opponent we struggled to score we knew this as the majority of that second set of players we mainly those we signed in the window and will in all likelihood be in the bench for the majority of games with the exception of Poole Whyte and Scully and obviously one of the 2 keepers
so what you are saying is that before we have kicked a ball in anger we have no hope of going up ?? all our players are league 2 level bar 3 or 4 so we might as well just pack up and go home now?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:13 pm
so what you are saying is that before we have kicked a ball in anger we have no hope of going up ?? all our players are league 2 level bar 3 or 4 so we might as well just pack up and go home now?
As usual you spin a comment to suit your own agenda I clearly said that our squad was better than a league two club but we had struggled to score, this has been a problem for the past couple of years as we lack creativity in midfield
And pointed out our squad players were better than the opposition squad players thus the high scoring it the latter part of the game
What I did say that it’s likely that apart from the players I mentioned the new signings will not be starting
No reference whatsoever to our league position I have in other posts suggested the best we can hope for is a playoff position unless we create and score more goals from midfield
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:52 pm
As usual you spin a comment to suit your own agenda I clearly said that our squad was better than a league two club but we had struggled to score, this has been a problem for the past couple of years as we lack creativity in midfield
And pointed out our squad players were better than the opposition squad players thus the high scoring it the latter part of the game
What I did say that it’s likely that apart from the players I mentioned the new signings will not be starting
No reference whatsoever to our league position I have in other posts suggested the best we can hope for is a playoff position unless we create and score more goals from midfield
How have I spun it 55? you have stated that we couldnt score in a brothel, and have no creativity. if we cant score and cant create we arent going to get promoted are we ? how is that spinning it?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:13 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:52 pm
How have I spun it 55? you have stated that we couldnt score in a brothel, and have no creativity. if we cant score and cant create we arent going to get promoted are we ? how is that spinning it?
I did not say can not score I said struggle to score without creativity in the midfield which is an opinion not limited to myself
I also clearly said creativity in midfield which is obviously lacking not a total lack of creativity as with that we would never score as any goal needs a degree of creativity
With Bishop playing based on last season it would be ridiculous to say can’t score just with a creative midfield player he might score more or others may contribute more as last season no one made a significant individual contribution to goal scoring
As we finished 8th last season and my view that we have marginally improved the team then it’s logical to say a playoff position would be possible
If the snooze report concerning Bishop carrying an injury is true we may see if we can score with him absent on Saturday
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Milton End wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:36 am

Trust that you will be at the BBC Solent Pompey Fans Forum tonight and put your points to the panel?
Couldn’t make it to the forum but listened to it on Radio Solent some interesting points raised but no answers to anything we never already knew
Nearly fell of my chair laughing when Moushino said we had addressed the lack of creativity in the team
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:14 pm
Milton End wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:36 am

Couldn’t make it to the forum but listened to it on Radio Solent some interesting points raised but no answers to anything we never already knew
Nearly fell of my chair laughing when Moushino said we had addressed the lack of creativity in the team
Also listened to the forum. Two points that interested me: first, stadium capacity will be 21,000 soon; second, we are still hoping to sign one other player (as well as loans?) but not clear to what position.

With regard to your comment on creativity, I will make up my mind once we have had a few competitive games - not based just on friendlies and on a search of player statistics from the internet.

Like many posters on this board, I'm looking forward to a decent win this coming Saturday afternoon in the South Stand. But intersting that John M said on the forum that he felt that Bristol Rovers would provide very strong opposition
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Milton End wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:43 pm I will make up my mind once we have had a few competitive games - not based just on friendlies and on a search of player statistics from the internet.
I think we'll need more than a few games to get into decent form but hopefully i'm wrong. It's also a test of Mousinho and whether he has the chops to be a manager. I want to hear winning talk, attitude and tactics. There's been too much bigging up the opposition since Jackett. But the crowd also need to play their part. I heard too much negative and undeserved shouting toward some players last season even though they were obvioously trying. FP is a tight ground and players hear stuff. Some supporters get too angry for no decent reason. For example Cowley seemed to pick some players based on how they trained. So the player is trying but not up to it - but it's not his fault he was picked and doesn't deserve the abuse.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

NSRailings wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:49 pm
Milton End wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:43 pm I will make up my mind once we have had a few competitive games - not based just on friendlies and on a search of player statistics from the internet.
I think we'll need more than a few games to get into decent form but hopefully i'm wrong. It's also a test of Mousinho and whether he has the chops to be a manager. I want to hear winning talk, attitude and tactics. There's been too much bigging up the opposition since Jackett. But the crowd also need to play their part. I heard too much negative and undeserved shouting toward some players last season even though they were obvioously trying. FP is a tight ground and players hear stuff. Some supporters get too angry for no decent reason. For example Cowley seemed to pick some players based on how they trained. So the player is trying but not up to it - but it's not his fault he was picked and doesn't deserve the abuse.
Totally agree with you about support. There may be a lot of misgivings among fans about the novice manager and hum-drum signings but this is a home game and our first of the season and we have to give 100% backing to the players for 90 minutes. I thought the City friendly was very quiet and hope that we don't let anxiety create a muted atmosphere. Whatever the result, let's hope the players and fans get off on a positive foot.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:27 am
NSRailings wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:49 pm
Totally agree with you about support. There may be a lot of misgivings among fans about the novice manager and hum-drum signings but this is a home game and our first of the season and we have to give 100% backing to the players for 90 minutes. I thought the City friendly was very quiet and hope that we don't let anxiety create a muted atmosphere. Whatever the result, let's hope the players and fans get off on a positive foot.
I totally agree we support whoever plays for us as long as they give 100% any shortcomings in the team are not down to the players but management just because I have issues with the recruitment in general doesn't mean I'm going to give our players stick if the game is not the result we want I'll save that for my normal moan on here. I can't see the point in paying our a lot of money for home and away games and moaning all the way through at the players.
I would say that there is less of the moaning at away games than home