Time wasting

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Time wasting

Post by Pompey55 »

The EFL are taking the same approach to time keeping and time wasting as was the case during the recent World Cup
Multi ball access at all matches
Unless a head injury player must leave the pitch for a minimum of 30 seconds
Booking for any time wasting
And so on
Looks like we are all in for late finishes this coming season in particular when playing against teams like Wycombe

They have also raised the threshold for what degree of contact is to be considered a foul so more contact is allowed without a free kick

Will be interesting to see how this will impact games
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Time wasting

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think it's about time they clamped down on time wasting.

Pushing, shoving and holding at corners too - does my head in.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:58 am The EFL are taking the same approach to time keeping and time wasting as was the case during the recent World Cup
Multi ball access at all matches
Unless a head injury player must leave the pitch for a minimum of 30 seconds
Booking for any time wasting
And so on
Looks like we are all in for late finishes this coming season in particular when playing against teams like Wycombe

They have also raised the threshold for what degree of contact is to be considered a foul so more contact is allowed without a free kick

Will be interesting to see how this will impact games
it will be an early finish against wycombe, they will all get 2 yellow cards for times wasting, be down to 7 and the gmae abandoned by half time :D
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:05 am I think it's about time they clamped down on time wasting.

Pushing, shoving and holding at corners too - does my head in.
Couldn’t agree more. Fouls committed when trying to get the ball are often misjudgment. You can’t hold someone at a corner by accident.

Let’s have a month of penalties and it will stop.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

All for this. I suspect what will happen is a few weeks where this is enforced with a couple of big calls and then it slowly fading away like every other time they try and bring in something like this.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:59 pm All for this. I suspect what will happen is a few weeks where this is enforced with a couple of big calls and then it slowly fading away like every other time they try and bring in something like this.
I disagree referees at our level are often looking to officiate at a higher level so they will want to get get reports after games so it may go the opposite way
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

One of the things that amazes me is the holding, pushing and shoving in the penalty area which goes unpenalised.The "powers that be" should be looking at that! Not just in the U.K.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:49 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:59 pm All for this. I suspect what will happen is a few weeks where this is enforced with a couple of big calls and then it slowly fading away like every other time they try and bring in something like this.
I disagree referees at our level are often looking to officiate at a higher level so they will want to get get reports after games so it may go the opposite way
I hope you are right. Time will tell.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

As long as this is actually actioned upon, it is a fantastic initiative, and can't come soon enough
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:44 pm As long as this is actually actioned upon, it is a fantastic initiative, and can't come soon enough
That`s the question `will it be fully actioned upon the offenders`
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Here's the rundown which I guess will mean we will be seeing 9-12 minutes of added time in a lot of games like in the last WC

English Football League referees will adopt new regulations to avoid time wasting by adding the exact time lost in goal celebrations, substitutions or injuries, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) body said on Friday.

The new rules aiming to increase the time the ball is in play, as seen at the men's and women's World Cups, will take effect from the first game of the EFL season next Friday.

"In the forthcoming campaign, the exact time lost when certain game events occur will now be added: goals and subsequent celebrations, substitutions, injuries and treatment time (if required)," the PGMOL said in a statement.

Time for penalties or red cards will also be counted from the moment of the offence until the player leaves the field or the whistle is blown for the penalty.

The referees' body noted that in previous seasons the policy was to aggregate a nominal period of time.

Match referees will now take a more vigorous approach to dealing with deliberate actions which delay the restart of play such as failing to respect the required distance for free kicks or refusing to receive treatment off the pitch.

The multi-ball system, which allows a match to resume with another ball when the original goes out of play and has been shown to increase playing time, will also be adopted.
Div III. Call it what it is.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

It'll be interesting. We seem to finish later than others quite often anyway - close to 4:55.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
godmcgarvey
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 5 times

Post by godmcgarvey »

Fergie time for everyone ;)

Can't say I'm looking forward to evening games, by the time I've caught a train home I might as well go straight to work!
Life is wasted on the living
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Maybe it's time to move football to an in-play clock eg. 60mins. That'd cut out all of the time wasting as you'd gain no advantage. I think the average ball in-play time in England is about 54 mins.